TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 Tour Championship

RDel90

41 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Cantlay's putting won the FedEx Cup... any dissenting opinions?  I didn't get to watch it live and just saw the highlights.  What a great playoff run and duel at the end. Lastly, don't feel too bad for John, he still bags a cool $5,000,000.

I don’t think any of them need a “Go Fund Me” account.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I don’t think any of them need a “Go Fund Me” account.

The legends of the game from 50's thru 70's must just keep shaking their heads in disbelief. Even adjusted for inflation we're talking 3 digit fold increases in money earned.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Cantlay's putting won the FedEx Cup... any dissenting opinions?  I didn't get to watch it live and just saw the highlights.  What a great playoff run and duel at the end. Lastly, don't feel too bad for John, he still bags a cool $5,000,000.

If you look at strokes gained for the event,  he lost strokes to the field putting and actually gained strokes off the tee and approach shots.   So while his putting probably won him the BMW,  it wasn't just putting that won him the FedEx cup. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I will say for the guys there were out of the race yesterday, they really didn’t seem to want to be there anymore. Still playing for a good chunk of change. 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you look at strokes gained for the event,  he lost strokes to the field putting and actually gained strokes off the tee and approach shots.   So while his putting probably won him the BMW,  it wasn't just putting that won him the FedEx cup. 

I knew I could count on you 🤣.

15 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I knew I could count on you 🤣.

Glad someone can count on me 🙂

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Kevin Na and Jon Rahm won this event.  This tiered start is bogus.

Id be super mad if I was either of those two.

Basically an inverted handicap system and I agree they should do away with it. Let the top 30 play it straight up as they do the entire season.

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I think we could see another Cantley/Rahm pairing at the Ryder Cup.

You too apparently caught Rahm's "I'll get my revenge" post round comment. I suspect he'll request Padraig make that singles pairing.

19 hours ago, Shankster said:

Kevin Na and Jon Rahm won this event.  This tiered start is bogus.

Id be super mad if I was either of those two.

17 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Basically an inverted handicap system and I agree they should do away with it. Let the top 30 play it straight up as they do the entire season.

Since it began in 2007 a playoff system was a central part of the format and the only reason the FedEx Cup came into being - to determine a "tour champion" for the season, not a tournament winner. The Northern Trust, the BMW and Eastlake were never meant to be three more individual tournaments. Neither Na, Rahm or anyone else have any legit reason to be "super mad" they all know the format from the time they tee off for the first time that season. Cantlay earned the right to start at -10 just as everyone else earned whatever strokes under they were awarded to start. The guy who finishes 30th shouldn't have the same chance to win the FedEx Cup as the other 29. 

Do you think the old format where who won the FedEx cup and who won Eastlake was better - no way? It was downright awkward in years where the guy who won at Eastlake got a much smaller $ prize than they guy who won the FedEx cup who may not have played all that well at Eastlake.

I agree this format is unorthodox and I wish there was a better way too, but again it's meant determine the tour championship for the season, winning the last tournament doesn't fit that purpose. If you have a better system to crown a tour champion for the season that doesn't result in someone else winning at Eastlake let's hear it?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

8 minutes ago, Middler said:

Since it began in 2007 a playoff system was a central part of the format and the only reason the FedEx Cup came into being - to determine a "tour champion", not a tournament winner. The Northern Trust, the BMW and Eastlake were never meant to be three more individual tournaments. Neither Na, Rahm or anyone else have any legit reason to be "super mad" they all know the format from the time they tee off for the first time that season. Cantlay earned the right to start at -10 just as everyone else earned whatever strokes under they were awarded to start. The guy who finishes 30th shouldn't have the same chance to win the FedEx Cup as the other 29. 

Do you think the old format where who won the FedEx cup and who won Eastlake was better - no way? It was downright awkward in years where the guy who won at Eastlake got a much smaller $ prize than they guy who won the FedEx cup who may not have played all that well at Eastlake.

I agree this format is unorthodox and I wish there was a better way too, but again it's meant determine the tour championship for the season, winning the last tournament doesn't fit that purpose. If you have a better system to crown a tour champion for the season that doesn't result in someone else winning at Eastlake let's hear it?

I stated my better/preferred system in the prior post.  Just change it to straight up, no bonus points.  #30 should absolutely have an equal chance at winning as the other 30.  They use this same format all season long.  I'd like to see them change this. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I stated my better/preferred system in the prior post.  Just change it to straight up, no bonus points.  #30 should absolutely have an equal chance at winning as the other 30.  They use this same format all season long.  I'd like to see them change this. 

How is that a playoff, the original sole purpose of the FedEx Cup, that determines a season winner? What you describe is just another tournament with limited invitees. It’s never been that from the beginning in 2007 or since.

I guess we agree to disagree on this one.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

16 hours ago, Middler said:

How is that a playoff, the original sole purpose of the FedEx Cup, that determines a season winner? What you describe is just another tournament with limited invitees. It’s never been that from the beginning in 2007 or since.

17 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I would just agree that they should change it up. They have the regular season champ that ends when the playoffs begins. Then in the playoffs each week is just playing it straight up. Every other sport does this and many times the teams with the best records don't win the championship. Why can't golf have this, it doesn't need to be fair, that playoffs are never fair. You can not loose all year then lose first week of the playoffs and be out, or in a series have a rough 4 games and be out. Its more exciting that way I feel. That way the winner would have to be at least somewhat on for the 3 weeks of the playoffs, but that's just me.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 9/5/2021 at 11:07 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I am all for a cumulative three tournament score for the FedEx Cup Tour Championship winner. 

7 minutes ago, LICC said:

I am all for a cumulative three tournament score for the FedEx Cup Tour Championship winner. 

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

16 hours ago, Middler said:

What other sport gives a team more points or goals or runs in the playoffs because they had more regular season wins? The playoff format determines who qualifies and advances, but the game itself shouldn’t be handicapped. 

1 minute ago, LICC said:

What other sport gives a team more points or goals or runs in the playoffs because they had more regular season wins? The playoff format determines who qualifies and advances, but the game itself shouldn’t be handicapped. 

None. But all other sports have playoff brackets where they face off one against another, and it comes down to two finalists. What other sport gives 30 players equal footing in the "final?"

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

8 minutes ago, Middler said:

Which is what the FedEx Cup was from 2007 until 2019, and Eastlake was just another tournament. I'd rather go back to that than letting the 30 players have an equal shot at one tournament at Eastlake to determine the season winner. I agree the present system is awkward, but so was the pre 2019 format. Maybe the differentials are too great, IOW the winner starts at -5 and descending instead of -10. I'd love to hear a better format that provides a season winner, and not have two winners at Eastlake like before.

I thought that from 2007-2019 it was FedEx points that determined the winner, which included the regular season points. That is not what I’m suggesting. I like the idea that the FedEx points determine qualifying and advancing, but the end winner is the lowest three tournament cumulative score. 

Edited by LICC

15 minutes ago, Middler said:

None. But all other sports have playoff brackets where they face off one against another, and it comes down to two finalists. What other sport gives 30 players equal footing in the "final?"

True but no other sport has 125 players/team make the playoffs. So cutting that down to the top 25% or so at top thirty is a bit high but also seems reasonable given the 125 that get in. But either way someone is making a big check.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

21 minutes ago, Middler said:

Track and Field. Swimming. (Maybe not 30, but multiple competitors.) The only way to replicate golf with sports that bracket down to two finalists is to use match play, which is not feasible for various reasons.

East Lake went down to the wire, playoffs in the other two events... The final was competitive and hotly contested by the 2 hottest golfers at the moment. Hard to ask for much more IMO.

1 tournament per year where the lowest absolute score doesn't win isn't the end of the world... I think people are making too much out of the format. Match play tournaments can be brutal to watch when you get down to the last group or 2 if it were elimination (Ryder/Solheim is fine with concurrent matches). Too much dead air to fill, especially if you're just waiting for them to finish 15 for a 4&3 win. Most team sports have seeding in the playoffs which hurts the weaker teams based on the regular season. This is the cleanest way to do something similar in golf outside of match play brackets. 

Was funny Reed snuck in to East Lake after playing neither of the first 2 playoff events. That would be my biggest complaint if there was an issue with the format... 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0