TESTERS WANTED! ×

Facebook and Twitter Testing Ads

Peaksy68

I’m a bit concerned that the ads for testing opportunities that MGS run on Facebook and Twitter are misleading and creating more work for moderators. The make it seem like testing opportunities are a competition to win something. 

See the screen cap below for a Facebook example

39FB7BF5-B731-450B-99C8-340CECCFB291.jpeg.fb245b13ce78ac48390ea898f062e9f6.jpeg

Perhaps some clarity from head office would be useful. Is a desire to increase site traffic driving these ads? 

I’m concerned that the misleading nature of these ads goes directly against the Truth mantra of MGS

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

1 hour ago, Peaksy68 said:

I’m a bit concerned that the ads for testing opportunities that MGS run on Facebook and Twitter are misleading and creating more work for moderators. The make it seem like testing opportunities are a competition to win something. 

Perhaps some clarity from head office would be useful. Is a desire to increase site traffic driving these ads? 

I’m concerned that the misleading nature of these ads goes directly against the Truth mantra of MGS

There was a similar post on Instagram regarding the titleist testing. Made it sound like you had a chance to get selected to just liking the post

I understand the reason for these posts.  More likes, more followers, more traffic will equate to more money and more sway.  

I completely agree that it's all a type of click bait and if they would just get rid of the first line it wouldn't be an issue.  Getting a like on that FB post, or the instagram post, or a retweet on the twitter post has nothing to do with getting selected.  Just change it to say join the forum and apply to be a tester!  Problem solved and it's a much better look for the leaders in golf #TruthDigest

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

12 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

Been thinking on how to respond to all this. Of course SM is a whole other beast then the forum. I won't begin to try and understand the platforms and how likes/reactions/retweets and so on effect anything/everything. Completely not my thing, of course I do know that SM is more for intstant reactions. I would like to think that those who really want to be a tester will use the sign up link... rather then just liking a post. If they don't read the full thing then that is their bad. 

Of course we all know it is not a contest and we (as a membership) tell countless ppl they are not contests, but real work. What I would ask is that is getting more eyes and more people potentially in the site a bad thing? I mean I found this site/forum basically because of testing. It grew into so much more for me, but at first it was a cool way to think maybe getting selected to test a product would be cool. This is what I would like to see happen with more who may come for a potential testing opportunity. Also the promotion isn't going to want to say come sign up, get involved, create a profile and be active and get noticed then maybe have a chance at getting selected here! lol 

Finally the point I really wanted to make was don't worry about workload for mods with extra signups... we love seeing the numbers high and having more people involved. The new system in short makes it quite simple to go through applications so not to worry. Also as I've mentioned before we have a awesome team that works hard and we have a great system so that we can go through everything and make sure we get the proper testers (new to the site, international, veteran testers and more) for each testing opportunity. Trust me when I say that extra people for signups is not a issue whatsoever and that shortages in equipment supply chains is a much greater frustration as has been eluded to in several other threads. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Probably my main issue is that the “Like/Retweet to test” is absolutely not true. When you click on the link it doesn’t take you to the forum, but to the article on the main site. Then “apply now” which takes you to the testing forum, not the main forum. 

Other than revenue, I can’t see it driving forum growth if people don’t even see the forum.

Seeing as @GolfSpy_X started My Golf Spy to combat inaccuracies in golf industry claims, perhaps @GolfSpy_THV or someone from the blog site could explain why the SM posts are worded this way when it clearly isn’t accurate.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

The wording is a bit misleading. I get that with social media you need to grab attention as quickly as possible. However leading off with statements like the one in the screenshot above don't quite tell the truth. Add a few words here and there and you're in the clear. But yeah some of the posts like that are very disingenuous. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

10 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

Probably my main issue is that the “Like/Retweet to test” is absolutely not true. When you click on the link it doesn’t take you to the forum, but to the article on the main site. Then “apply now” which takes you to the testing forum, not the main forum. 

Other than revenue, I can’t see it driving forum growth if people don’t even see the forum.

Seeing as @GolfSpy_X started My Golf Spy to combat inaccuracies in golf industry claims, perhaps @GolfSpy_THV or someone from the blog site could explain why the SM posts are worded this way when it clearly isn’t accurate.

Truth be told, we don't handle, control, or am even advised of the language they use on the SM posts. They are kind enough to provide extra awareness for the member testing, but beyond that it's more or less a one way street. However, to your point, I will have a word with the SM manager to make sure it's a bit more clear what people actually need to do to sign up for the test - even if that means they still go through the blog page to boost views. 

Appreciate you pointing this out @Peaksy68!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

• 2 years later...

I know that you already discussed this type of ads, but from my experience, these kinds of ads with concrete CTA are the most effective. 

I have been driving traffic from Instagram and Facebook for years, and such methods are the most effective, even if they are misleading. 

As a tip, I can recommend using adpsy. It's a tool that allows you to see the campaigns that competitors from your niche are running. I always get inspired by my competitors and use their strategies in my marketing campaigns. Might help. 

Edited by ronini