TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shankster’s Speed Shop

Good luck on your quest. I’m doing something similar with a TPI fitness regime, and rypstick speed training. Have picked up some speed. As I have my accuracy has suffered. Went to get fitted for a new shaft and my ball speed jumped (as well as smash factor) when the fitter put me in an inch shorter shaft. Catching the ball in the center of the face produced better results than swing speed. We actually tried a shaft that saw a jump in club head speed but not ball speed. So I will be getting a shorter, lighter, but stiffer shaft. Will continue the training over the winter and am anxious to see how it goes. Good luck to you. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

• Shankster changed the title to Shankster’s Speed Shop

You look faster in slow motion 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Let's go @Shankster; get after it!  

Having been doing something similar for nearly a year now,  I'll be curious about the workout regimen you adopt so please be sure to share that here.  (My thread below if you're curious...)  You're starting off at a higher speed level than me so I'll be interested to see your progress to say the least.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Let's go @Shankster; get after it!  

Having been doing something similar for nearly a year now,  I'll be curious about the workout regimen you adopt so please be sure to share that here.  (My thread below if you're curious...)  You're starting off at a higher speed level than me so I'll be interested to see your progress to say the least.

Your thread was definitely an inspiration for me to take this journey.  I’ve tried before, but lacked motivation unfortunately.  I haven’t been in the gym since high school.  So I’m basically a blank slate when it comes to it.  

I have down my fair share of body weight type stuff over the years, but lifting things up and putting them down has never really appealed to me… now, it has a purpose. Funny enough, I saw a video this morning about Vijay’s workout, it was a small snippet of what he does but gave me some ideas.

Sticking to the super speed work outs will be the biggest task I think.  

Good luck and looking forward to following along. I started last year as well and have gained close to 10 mph in on course speed, thought still about 10 slower than your baseline. Its sad to say but in NH I am already thinking about the off-season as I probably have about a month of time left to play before is starts getting iffy and I will have a new baby to keep me busy. Looking forward to big bombs.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Your thread was definitely an inspiration for me to take this journey.  I’ve tried before, but lacked motivation unfortunately.  I haven’t been in the gym since high school.  So I’m basically a blank slate when it comes to it.  

I have down my fair share of body weight type stuff over the years, but lifting things up and putting them down has never really appealed to me… now, it has a purpose. Funny enough, I saw a video this morning about Vijay’s workout, it was a small snippet of what he does but gave me some ideas.

Sticking to the super speed work outs will be the biggest task I think.  

Thanks.  Have you given Fit for Golf any consideration?  Might help you stay at it workout-wise if you've got some dollars invested, and you'll have expert programming to help you achieve your goals.  (And then your experience can help me decide if I want to go that route!  🤣)

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks.  Have you given Fit for Golf any consideration?  Might help you stay at it workout-wise if you've got some dollars invested, and you'll have expert programming to help you achieve your goals.  (And then your experience can help me decide if I want to go that route!  🤣)

I might consider it.  At $12 a month, if I get a few less bags of Tortilla Chips and Salsa, I’ll kill two birds with one stone.  Cut some calories, and get a workout plan… 🤔

Looking forward to seeing your results. I'm looking at about the same goals, fully loose I can register about ~118 on that radar with a 44.5" driver. I would love to see that increase to 130.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 8/21/2021 at 10:31 AM, Shankster said:

As soon as the rain settles in this fall.  I’m going to fully commit to some speed training.  Out in the yard today I hit 120mph a few times with the driver.

The goal is to hit at least 130mph + consistently.  Average now is 112-115.  I’ve got my work cut out for me, but I am in it to win it. This will probably require a longer driver, oh darn.

Workout plan to follow, but I’m looking to start this on October 15th. Going to build the speed up first over the winter, then focus on reigning it in, maybe with some lessons in the spring.

130 by my 39th birthday in May… 

Doable? Maybe, but I’m going to give it a go.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:06 PM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Good luck on your quest. I’m doing something similar with a TPI fitness regime, and rypstick speed training. Have picked up some speed. As I have my accuracy has suffered. Went to get fitted for a new shaft and my ball speed jumped (as well as smash factor) when the fitter put me in an inch shorter shaft. Catching the ball in the center of the face produced better results than swing speed. We actually tried a shaft that saw a jump in club head speed but not ball speed. So I will be getting a shorter, lighter, but stiffer shaft. Will continue the training over the winter and am anxious to see how it goes. Good luck to you. 

Well why not, after checking out the threads I'm all like "I should add some speed to my swing too!" My average is lower than both of yours @ around 97mph... and seeing that @Shankster is the same age as me I don't see any reason I couldn't add a solid 10mph over the next year... Good luck to both of you! Look forward to gaining some tips and checking progress on the threads...

From Wisconsin

Playing Calaway BB X-12s standard length and steel shaft standard

Calaway BBA 9.5°/ stiff flex

Average about 105 on 18 but getting better!

I am interested in your progress.  I have you by a couple decades at least and was able to see a speed increase by renewing a light workout regime along with stretching.  It had to be light or I would get small nagging injuries to wrist or shoulder or elbow that would cause swing problems....like I'd have to take a week off.  Flexibility improvements helped as much or more than anything for me.  I gained about 6 mph and think I may be maxed out at about 108 without causing pain or really poor dispersion.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I have you by a couple decades at least and was able to see a speed increase by renewing a light workout regime along with stretching.

Hope is still alive!!!

From Wisconsin

Playing Calaway BB X-12s standard length and steel shaft standard

Calaway BBA 9.5°/ stiff flex

Average about 105 on 18 but getting better!

15 minutes ago, Superjoemofo said:

Hope is still alive!!!

In my case it's alive, but on life support!  I don't wanna pull the plug just yet!!  🤣

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

32 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I am interested in your progress.  I have you by a couple decades at least and was able to see a speed increase by renewing a light workout regime along with stretching.  It had to be light or I would get small nagging injuries to wrist or shoulder or elbow that would cause swing problems....like I'd have to take a week off.  Flexibility improvements helped as much or more than anything for me.  I gained about 6 mph and think I may be maxed out at about 108 without causing pain or really poor dispersion.

6mph gain is no joke.  That should equate to around 18 yards right?  That’s a club and a half less into a green.  

The problem I am having is squaring the club face when I go all out.  I could probably get to 120 with a ball in the way when warmed up… but who knows where it is going. This will be the biggest issue for me, figuring out how to use the extra speed without ending up a few holes over.

Getting the driver or 3 wood back to square has been an issue for me since I started playing.  I’m better now than I used to be, but it isn’t automatic like with my irons.

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

6mph gain is no joke.  That should equate to around 18 yards right?  That’s a club and a half less into a green.  

The problem I am having is squaring the club face when I go all out.  I could probably get to 120 with a ball in the way when warmed up… but who knows where it is going. This will be the biggest issue for me, figuring out how to use the extra speed without ending up a few holes over.

Getting the driver or 3 wood back to square has been an issue for me since I started playing.  I’m better now than I used to be, but it isn’t automatic like with my irons.

When I change the intent to smash I can generate a few extra MPH's the problem I have found is exactly what you talk about, it is difficult to know where it is going to go. The hardest part is to separate the speed training vs practice/play. The goal is to increase speed of course but the key is to do it incrementally in your training vs trying to play at the new speed. In concept training should increase your gamer speed, but it will take a little bit before you see the results. When I first started I would see 1-3 yard increase when playing. Not huge but over the course of about 2 months I was seeing 10+ yards, without changing my dispersion too much. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

When I change the intent to smash I can generate a few extra MPH's the problem I have found is exactly what you talk about, it is difficult to know where it is going to go. The hardest part is to separate the speed training vs practice/play. The goal is to increase speed of course but the key is to do it incrementally in your training vs trying to play at the new speed. In concept training should increase your gamer speed, but it will take a little bit before you see the results. When I first started I would see 1-3 yard increase when playing. Not huge but over the course of about 2 months I was seeing 10+ yards, without changing my dispersion too much. 

I’m an instant result type of guy… need to take a step back and use your philosophy here… thank you.

3 hours ago, Superjoemofo said:

Well why not, after checking out the threads I'm all like "I should add some speed to my swing too!" My average is lower than both of yours @ around 97mph... and seeing that @Shankster is the same age as me I don't see any reason I couldn't add a solid 10mph over the next year... Good luck to both of you! Look forward to gaining some tips and checking progress on the threads...

Join the Hot Rod club man.  The more the merrier.

I  noticed in your video that you are using the Swing Speed Radar, and NOT using a golf ball. You should know that the unit is NOT very accurate when you do NOT use a golf ball. Very good WITH a ball but NOT so accurate without. That is directly from the maker of these units and from my own experience using the units for over 17 years. I use mine every time I hit balls at the range, and it only works well with a ball. You might want to repeat your video with a ball and see what you get, You might just be very surprised at what readings you get when using a ball. Good Luck. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

5 minutes ago, IONEPUTT said:

I  noticed in your video that you are using the Swing Speed Radar, and NOT using a golf ball. You should know that the unit is NOT very accurate when you do NOT use a golf ball. Very good WITH a ball but NOT so accurate without. That is directly from the maker of these units and from my own experience using the units for over 17 years. I use mine every time I hit balls at the range, and it only works well with a ball. You might want to repeat your video with a ball and see what you get, You might just be very surprised at what readings you get when using a ball. Good Luck. 

Yeah.  I know.  But I don’t think my neighbors would like ProV1’s in their living room.

Ive had it on the range hitting balls, and hit 133 and 141 on the range back in March… which I thought was less accurate than without the ball…?

65B1354D-D425-4B62-8E11-CB7DFFD77451.png

79B1F67C-89D7-4CDC-918D-FD6E50D37607.png

21 hours ago, Shankster said:

Ok. I am going to try the trial month of it. I have wasted $6 on worse things.

I don’t think you’ll be sorry. This programming is some of the best o have seen for golf. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Like you I get higher MPH when hitting a ball than not, so your numbers are most likely MORE accurate than you think. And when I hit balls on a Launch monitor I get the SAME MPH as what the radar unit gives me, so I know the unit is accurate when hitting balls. MORE so than when hitting AIR. Why not build a simple trap to hit balls into? A BIG box with a rug or blanket would be good enough to give you accurate numbers and NOT hit the neighbors house. Worth a try at least to get good numbers. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

19 minutes ago, IONEPUTT said:

Like you I get higher MPH when hitting a ball than not, so your numbers are most likely MORE accurate than you think. And when I hit balls on a Launch monitor I get the SAME MPH as what the radar unit gives me, so I know the unit is accurate when hitting balls. MORE so than when hitting AIR. Why not build a simple trap to hit balls into? A BIG box with a rug or blanket would be good enough to give you accurate numbers and NOT hit the neighbors house. Worth a try at least to get good numbers. 

I’m guessing my launch characteristics were way off, because those two ballooned up and fell out of the sky much shorter than I would have expected.  I didn’t catch them dead center, but not far off.

I thought about getting a net, we will see.  I have another idea I’m working on.

I got a net for my back yard and used it every day when I started playing golf 20 years ago. It really HELPED me to build a solid swing by hitting a small bucket of balls every day with ZERO travel time to the range.  And no cost to me after I got the net setup. I credit hitting into the net for taking me from a newbie to a 6 handicap in just under a year.