Shankster’s Speed Shop

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

6mph gain is no joke.  That should equate to around 18 yards right?  That’s a club and a half less into a green.  

The problem I am having is squaring the club face when I go all out.  I could probably get to 120 with a ball in the way when warmed up… but who knows where it is going. This will be the biggest issue for me, figuring out how to use the extra speed without ending up a few holes over.

Getting the driver or 3 wood back to square has been an issue for me since I started playing.  I’m better now than I used to be, but it isn’t automatic like with my irons.

When I change the intent to smash I can generate a few extra MPH's the problem I have found is exactly what you talk about, it is difficult to know where it is going to go. The hardest part is to separate the speed training vs practice/play. The goal is to increase speed of course but the key is to do it incrementally in your training vs trying to play at the new speed. In concept training should increase your gamer speed, but it will take a little bit before you see the results. When I first started I would see 1-3 yard increase when playing. Not huge but over the course of about 2 months I was seeing 10+ yards, without changing my dispersion too much. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

When I change the intent to smash I can generate a few extra MPH's the problem I have found is exactly what you talk about, it is difficult to know where it is going to go. The hardest part is to separate the speed training vs practice/play. The goal is to increase speed of course but the key is to do it incrementally in your training vs trying to play at the new speed. In concept training should increase your gamer speed, but it will take a little bit before you see the results. When I first started I would see 1-3 yard increase when playing. Not huge but over the course of about 2 months I was seeing 10+ yards, without changing my dispersion too much. 

I’m an instant result type of guy… need to take a step back and use your philosophy here… thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superjoemofo said:

Well why not, after checking out the threads I'm all like "I should add some speed to my swing too!" My average is lower than both of yours @ around 97mph... and seeing that @Shankster is the same age as me I don't see any reason I couldn't add a solid 10mph over the next year... Good luck to both of you! Look forward to gaining some tips and checking progress on the threads...

Join the Hot Rod club man.  The more the merrier.

• Haha 2

I  noticed in your video that you are using the Swing Speed Radar, and NOT using a golf ball. You should know that the unit is NOT very accurate when you do NOT use a golf ball. Very good WITH a ball but NOT so accurate without. That is directly from the maker of these units and from my own experience using the units for over 17 years. I use mine every time I hit balls at the range, and it only works well with a ball. You might want to repeat your video with a ball and see what you get, You might just be very surprised at what readings you get when using a ball. Good Luck. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, IONEPUTT said:

I  noticed in your video that you are using the Swing Speed Radar, and NOT using a golf ball. You should know that the unit is NOT very accurate when you do NOT use a golf ball. Very good WITH a ball but NOT so accurate without. That is directly from the maker of these units and from my own experience using the units for over 17 years. I use mine every time I hit balls at the range, and it only works well with a ball. You might want to repeat your video with a ball and see what you get, You might just be very surprised at what readings you get when using a ball. Good Luck. 

Yeah.  I know.  But I don’t think my neighbors would like ProV1’s in their living room.

Ive had it on the range hitting balls, and hit 133 and 141 on the range back in March… which I thought was less accurate than without the ball…?

65B1354D-D425-4B62-8E11-CB7DFFD77451.png

79B1F67C-89D7-4CDC-918D-FD6E50D37607.png

21 hours ago, Shankster said:

Ok. I am going to try the trial month of it. I have wasted $6 on worse things.

I don’t think you’ll be sorry. This programming is some of the best o have seen for golf. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Like you I get higher MPH when hitting a ball than not, so your numbers are most likely MORE accurate than you think. And when I hit balls on a Launch monitor I get the SAME MPH as what the radar unit gives me, so I know the unit is accurate when hitting balls. MORE so than when hitting AIR. Why not build a simple trap to hit balls into? A BIG box with a rug or blanket would be good enough to give you accurate numbers and NOT hit the neighbors house. Worth a try at least to get good numbers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IONEPUTT said:

Like you I get higher MPH when hitting a ball than not, so your numbers are most likely MORE accurate than you think. And when I hit balls on a Launch monitor I get the SAME MPH as what the radar unit gives me, so I know the unit is accurate when hitting balls. MORE so than when hitting AIR. Why not build a simple trap to hit balls into? A BIG box with a rug or blanket would be good enough to give you accurate numbers and NOT hit the neighbors house. Worth a try at least to get good numbers. 

I’m guessing my launch characteristics were way off, because those two ballooned up and fell out of the sky much shorter than I would have expected.  I didn’t catch them dead center, but not far off.

I thought about getting a net, we will see.  I have another idea I’m working on.

I got a net for my back yard and used it every day when I started playing golf 20 years ago. It really HELPED me to build a solid swing by hitting a small bucket of balls every day with ZERO travel time to the range.  And no cost to me after I got the net setup. I credit hitting into the net for taking me from a newbie to a 6 handicap in just under a year. 

• Like 1

After some analysis of my swing posted above.  I have been working on shallowing the club more.  I spent about 2 hours last night in the window on my takeaway.  I see progress on the through swing already.  Some work to do yet.  I think it will be best to slow down to go fast.  Working on proper set up and swing elements first…

you swing gurus, what do you see?

• Like 1

The reason for the pause is… I was working on getting my hands higher in the backswing like I used to do… however, this has caused some pretty bad pain in my left shoulder.  I’m going to have to slow it down, and use my Faldo/Robert Rock arms equal to shoulder plane for the rest of my golf life.  

If not, I think that my time on the course would be ending sooner than later. 

The first order of business will be to strengthen up, and add some flexibility.  I can still hit my average of 112–115 with the shorter flatter swing… adding some rpm to the engine (me) will have to be slow and in small increments so I don’t destroy my already repaired shoulder, and/or destroy the good one.

Working as a mechanic with my arms above my head as a young adult has caught up with me. 

This might turn into Shankster’s Tune Shop rather than speed shop. Fine tuning what I have, dial in the performance, set the injector timing, and boost properly… and work on the accuracy part of the game rather than the speed…. If while tuning I gain some speed, that will be a bonus.  

This has been on my mind since yesterday, just wanted to write it down for myself to read.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

The reason for the pause is… I was working on getting my hands higher in the backswing like I used to do… however, this has caused some pretty bad pain in my left shoulder.  I’m going to have to slow it down, and use my Faldo/Robert Rock arms equal to shoulder plane for the rest of my golf life.  

If not, I think that my time on the course would be ending sooner than later. 

The first order of business will be to strengthen up, and add some flexibility.  I can still hit my average of 112–115 with the shorter flatter swing… adding some rpm to the engine (me) will have to be slow and in small increments so I don’t destroy my already repaired shoulder, and/or destroy the good one.

Working as a mechanic with my arms above my head as a young adult has caught up with me. 

This might turn into Shankster’s Tune Shop rather than speed shop. Fine tuning what I have, dial in the performance, set the injector timing, and boost properly… and work on the accuracy part of the game rather than the speed…. If while tuning I gain some speed, that will be a bonus.  

This has been on my mind since yesterday, just wanted to write it down for myself to read.

Hopefully the shoulder pain clears up. Without knowing exactly what it is I always direct people to focus on strengthening their scapular muscles and light rotator cuff exercises initially. No reason to over work muscles that are constantly being used as stabilizers

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

:Arccos:

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Hi Shankster. I do not know IF your shoulder will handle this tip but I used it to build up my swing speed and total muscle package that get used to swing a club. What I did was buy an old steel shaft persimmon driver. Then I pulled the grip, and filled up the entire shaft with "Lead Shot". I then taped off the end of the shaft and re-installed a new grip. This gave me a driver that weights just over 3 pounds total and it's balanced in the center, like a normal driver. Being much heavier than a normal driver, I get a good workout of "ALL" of the muscles I use to swing a club. And as a bonus it "FORCES ME" to swing in Balance, or I fall over. End result is I am forced to swing in balance and all of the muscles I use to play a normal shot get a nice workout.  When I use this heavy driver, I try to swing it as fast as I can while staying in balance so I hold the finish position at the end of my swing. NOT EASY to do , but with practice it works very well. It also helps to increase shoulder turn during the swing for more power from more upper body coil. 

While this heavy driver may NOT be for everyone, it helped me to improve my balance and increase the strength of all of the muscles used to swing a club. End result was I got stronger and could then swing my clubs with "LESS" effort, and that helps to build club head speed and NOT get tired near the end of a round of golf. I didn't start playing golf until I was 54 years old 20 years ago, and I can still play 18 holes, walking the course and NOT get tired out. Last time I hit the range and used my radar unit, a few months ago, I could hit 108 MPH with my 5 wood. so using the heavy driver didn't hurt my old body too much I would have to say. 

What's also nice about this heavy driver is an old steel shaft persimmon driver is cheap, and the total cost to build the club was less than $20.00  That's a lot cheaper then what some people are selling as training aid, most of which don't work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IONEPUTT said:

Hi Shankster. I do not know IF your shoulder will handle this tip but I used it to build up my swing speed and total muscle package that get used to swing a club. What I did was buy an old steel shaft persimmon driver. Then I pulled the grip, and filled up the entire shaft with "Lead Shot". I then taped off the end of the shaft and re-installed a new grip. This gave me a driver that weights just over 3 pounds total and it's balanced in the center, like a normal driver. Being much heavier than a normal driver, I get a good workout of "ALL" of the muscles I use to swing a club. And as a bonus it "FORCES ME" to swing in Balance, or I fall over. End result is I am forced to swing in balance and all of the muscles I use to play a normal shot get a nice workout.  When I use this heavy driver, I try to swing it as fast as I can while staying in balance so I hold the finish position at the end of my swing. NOT EASY to do , but with practice it works very well. It also helps to increase shoulder turn during the swing for more power from more upper body coil. 

While this heavy driver may NOT be for everyone, it helped me to improve my balance and increase the strength of all of the muscles used to swing a club. End result was I got stronger and could then swing my clubs with "LESS" effort, and that helps to build club head speed and NOT get tired near the end of a round of golf. I didn't start playing golf until I was 54 years old 20 years ago, and I can still play 18 holes, walking the course and NOT get tired out. Last time I hit the range and used my radar unit, a few months ago, I could hit 108 MPH with my 5 wood. so using the heavy driver didn't hurt my old body too much I would have to say. 

What's also nice about this heavy driver is an old steel shaft persimmon driver is cheap, and the total cost to build the club was less than $20.00  That's a lot cheaper then what some people are selling as training aid, most of which don't work. 

I have an old Titleist 3 wood in the shed.  I used to swing 3 clubs to “warm up” so I know what you are saying.

Day 1 of Super Speed in the books.  I’m about 10mph slower than I was last time I did it… but my swing is much, much better. Building on it will be a fun go.  

My shoulders feel a lot better today.

Tomorow I will be starting the trial run of Fit for Golf.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Shankster said:

I have an old Titleist 3 wood in the shed.  I used to swing 3 clubs to “warm up” so I know what you are saying.

If that old 3 wood has a steel shaft, you can use it to build a heavy club by adding lead shot inside the shaft. Should do fine instead of buying an old driver.