TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is playing old golf balls a bad idea?

Ryan M

A family member bought a home along a golf course to remodel. When he cleaned out the yard, he pulled out 300 or 400 golf balls. I threw out the low grade balls and non-urethane cover. Then after cleaning, if they had significant scuffs I also discarded them. This left me with maybe 100 balls in the Pro V1(x), Chrome Soft, TP5(x)/Penta, etc. Some of these were probably only a year or 2 old, but many were 5+ years old. For instance, I found a few of the Pro V1 392 balls.

I usually shoot in the 80's. Am I a fool for playing these older balls? I hit a few of them yesterday on a course I play 50 times a year, and felt like I was losing distance on the driver. Maybe a little on irons too, but that was a bit harder to see and I could chalk some of that up to colder weather, damp conditions, and a little wind. However, I felt like I was losing 20 or 30 yards on drives.

Are these balls old enough that I should not be playing them? Or is this all in my head and I just had a bad one?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 🔷🔷🔷 LS, 10.5* w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 6s
Woods: :taylormade-small: M2 Tour 3W HL/16.5* w/ Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver 70g
Hybrids: :PXG: 0317 X GEN4 3H/19* w/ Aldila NV Green Hybrid NXT 85g
Irons: :PXG: GEN5 0311P 4-A w/ ProjectX LZ
Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 / :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50*, :titelist-small: Vokey SM9 56* & 60*
Putter: :scotty-small: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x
Bag: Sun Mountain C130

There was a test done recently with older Pro V1 balls compared to the new model. There was not a significant difference. So older models are ok to play. The thing to consider was the tests were new in the box comparisons. There wasn't a weather factor in the equation. Tests have also been done comparing refurbished balls and water balls and the results were not favorable. Since these are yard balls I would probably stick to the newer models to play with and use the rest for your shag bag. Fine for chipping around the yard.

My son is part of a golf course matenience crew. He sometimes is the rough mower. He brings home a dozen or two every week he is on the mower. I know the balls are only a few days old. I separate them and keep the high end urethane for play, the rest go in a bin and I give them away. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

sounds like you answered your own question.   Some performance loss and depending on how serious you are an amazing about golf it may or may not matter. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Callaway talked about this several years back. 3-5 years is about shelf life if kept at normal temps. Going to be a lot less if outside even for a short period of time 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1