Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Anyone Played Sand Valley?

Heading to WI Tuesday to take a couple of customers to Sand Valley. Anyone played it? We're only playing one round, but I'm really looking forward to it. 

We're taking caddies, but the website appears fairly oblique about costs and tipping. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@GolfSpy BarbajoLooking to potentially take some customers there this summer as well.  How was the travel for your customers?  That is the main drawback I can see, is that you lose a day just from travel just about.  

Very excited to look more at the Lido renovation they are adding there as well.  Seems like it will quickly be a top 30 course as well.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

On 12/23/2021 at 5:31 PM, juspoole said:

@GolfSpy BarbajoLooking to potentially take some customers there this summer as well.  How was the travel for your customers?  That is the main drawback I can see, is that you lose a day just from travel just about.  

Very excited to look more at the Lido renovation they are adding there as well.  Seems like it will quickly be a top 30 course as well.  

In our case, the customers were from central Wisconsin, so it was a day trip for them. Indiana is a hike, no doubt about it. And while flying may be less taxing, it'll probably be just as long if not longer if you can't find a direct flight to Madison, which is another hour and a half drive to Sand Valley. 

If you're there for a few days, it's definitely worth the drive. Like Streamsong, it's in the middle of nowhere so you're kind of isolated - it's about an hour drive to Wisconsin Dells where at least there are restaurants and hotels with water parks if you're so inclined. Otherwise, get a lodge at the facility and do some customer-vendor bonding. 

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

On 12/27/2021 at 9:12 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Indiana is a hike, no doubt about it. And while flying may be less taxing, it'll probably be just as long if not longer if you can't find a direct flight to Madison, which is another hour and a half drive to Sand Valley. 

If you're there for a few days, it's definitely worth the drive. Like Streamsong, it's in the middle of nowhere so you're kind of isolated - it's about an hour drive to Wisconsin Dells where at least there are restaurants and hotels with water parks if you're so inclined. Otherwise, get a lodge at the facility and do some customer-vendor bonding. 

I should have clarified, My Boss and I coming from Indiana would likely drive as it's only around 6 hours.  The others would be coming from the Northeast primarily (Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore).  Likely would fly into Chicago or Detroit I'm guessing then to Madison I think, then an hour drive from there it looks like.  

I think it would be worthwhile to do.  We did Bandon a few years ago, which is just (if not more) difficult to get to and it worked out great.   Streamsong is on the list as well, but pricing it a bit outrageous in my opinion, even if the company is footing the bill.

Sorry to ramble - thanks for the assist.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I played Sand Valley this past summer.  We didn't stay on site, one of our group hosted us at his family's home about an hour drive away.  It was a blast, both Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes are loads of fun, and the Sandbox short course is a blast.  Those of us who flew used Milwaukee.  Its a little further drive than Madison, but may be easier to schedule flights.  On our way back we played at Lawsonia Links, which was brilliant in a totally different way as Sand Valley.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

22 hours ago, juspoole said:

I should have clarified, My Boss and I coming from Indiana would likely drive as it's only around 6 hours.  The others would be coming from the Northeast primarily (Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore).  Likely would fly into Chicago or Detroit I'm guessing then to Madison I think, then an hour drive from there it looks like.  

I think it would be worthwhile to do.  We did Bandon a few years ago, which is just (if not more) difficult to get to and it worked out great.   Streamsong is on the list as well, but pricing it a bit outrageous in my opinion, even if the company is footing the bill.

Sorry to ramble - thanks for the assist.  

There are a ton of great courses all over Wisconsin, as @DaveP043 points out. Have never played Lawsonia, but hear nothing but great things about it. Sentry World in Stevens Point is less than an hour away from Sand Valley, and there are a ton of excellent courses within an hour or so of Milwaukee - I believe one of them hosted a major event this past fall...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 months later...

Sand Valley is a bit out of the way for sure so if you can stay in the area or on site that is probably ideal.  Early last May I got out and played both courses same day with some buddies after driving up from SE Wisconsin.   Definitely a LONG day and a LONG walk.   We all did it pushing our own clubs.   Played Mammoth first and if I had to choose I'd probably do it that way again as the fairways are very generous and a fun layout.  Sand Valley was the more challenging of the two in my opinion.  We had some issues with pace of play but no issues with the condition of the courses.  A lot of fun and very fair.  Pretty hard to lose balls out there.  Didn't get a chance to take on the par 3 as we just didn't have the time unfortunately.  If you have a chance to stay on site, that would appear to be the best scenario.   Nice bar and farm to table restaurant on site and the food stand at the tee and turn on the Sand Valley course is very good.   I believe they also have food trucks out there when the season is in full swing. 

Taylor Made M5 9 loft

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood 14.5 loft

Callaway Super Hybrid (3) 18 loft

Callaway Apex 21 4 hybrid 21 loft

Callaway Super Hybrid (5) 24 loft

Mizuno MP25  5-PW

Vokey SM6 52, 58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Sand Valley is a bit out of the way for sure so if you can stay in the area or on site that is probably ideal.  Early last May I got out and played both courses same day with some buddies after driving up from SE Wisconsin.   Definitely a LONG day and a LONG walk.   We all did it pushing our own clubs.   Played Mammoth first and if I had to choose I'd probably do it that way again as the fairways are very generous and a fun layout.  Sand Valley was the more challenging of the two in my opinion.  We had some issues with pace of play but no issues with the condition of the courses.  A lot of fun and very fair.  Pretty hard to lose balls out there.  Didn't get a chance to take on the par 3 as we just didn't have the time unfortunately.  If you have a chance to stay on site, that would appear to be the best scenario.   Nice bar and farm to table restaurant on site and the food stand at the tee and turn on the Sand Valley course is very good.   I believe they also have food trucks out there when the season is in full swing. 

The food truck sits by the start of the Sandbox, the par-3 course.  I thought food at the bar area was good, and moderately priced.  Tacos at the start of the Sand Valley Course were really good, and really cheap, same for the burgers from the food truck.  And beer was VERY reasonably priced.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 3 months later...

Heading to SV next week

Playing the Sandbox on Sunday morning when we arrive, Sand Valley Sunday afternoon, and Mammoth Dunes on Monday morning

Any tips?

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

My FIL was a caddie there. No other info except to drop  that nugget. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

We stayed and played at Lake Arrowhead in September, 2019. Less expensive for our higher handicap, fixed income, old guys group. But we wanted to see Sand Valley, so after our Saturday round we took the short drive there and took the shuttle bus up to Craig's Porch. Oh, be still my heart! What a view of an absolutely Stunning golf course. We'll get there someday, as it's an easy drive from Green Bay. It's tops on the "can afford $" bucket list, along with Mammoth Dunes with their generous fairways as T-Bone mentioned, again for the higher handicap golfers.

It's not about how well you're playing, but who you're playing with.

Just got back from 5 days at Sand Valley , played both courses twice and the sandbox twice.  First class operation, just like Bandon without the ocean.  Take caddies , they will make your walk enjoyable and they will help out tremendously with putting and lines .  Ask for Don , he is the best caddy there, he actually played professional golf ( super nice guy ). Make sure you check out the food truck for some awesome food !  The accommodations are great !

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

• 1 year later...

Get ready for some FIRE content out of SV coming up…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwY5TVINrXJ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Gimme Golf Club - "Everyone Only"

image.png.5eefd8c128d4e8ec9012c8ba689631ed.png  M2 (2016) Driver image.png.b5c7f049cf0e193a7887b5f15b860842.png OG RBZ 3-Banger

:Sub70: 659 TC :Sub70:  005 Wide Blade CS

Wedges change daily...