Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Favorite Non-Urethane Ball?

52 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Thanks HAC, fair comments all. 

Well that is partially true... I look at ANY ball to get a performance benefit, whether that be Urethane or other.  And just as you outlined in your post, that "performance benefit" can be weighted differently for each player.  for you and the course you play,  I can see why you rank feel and spin high on your decision tree... Distance off the tee is pretty high priority for my game, mainly because I'm a slower swinger than I would like to be.  But I know that I might need to sacrifice that soft touch around the greens to get it.   But that is just how I weight it.  So your right, I do bounce all over the place looking for a ball that I don't feel like I'm giving away performance (as it relates to my specific swing) to the field.  If I can spend less to get it... ok, but that isn't going to be a high factor in my decision.

You are exactly right, there are a lot of options out there with urethane covers at all price points.  I play the Maxfli Tour and the Pro V mostly because they check my boxes the best so far (and if you buy the 48 ball box of Maxflis for ~$105 we are probably talking both ends of the cost extreme there)... but as I noted above... I also like the Titleist Velocity... great distance, and I can still hold the greens... maybe not spinning back a 7 iron, but certainly a hop, stop and trickle, that I can get used to.  A lot of other good options noted in this tread as well.  I also like Srixon (as you can see from my equipment), and their line of Q-Stars and Z-Stars which I will be continuing to try out this year, including the ionomer covers.  

Having said all that... as I sit here today, on the injured reserve from my golf game, I am considering my options for 2022, and thinking that I may focus less on trying to get maximum distance from my swings (Tee and Approach) and accept my old age fate of never again hitting a 280 yard drive or a 165 yard 7 iron.  So that will shift my focus to fairway woods, hybrids, and wedges.... so my "performance equation" may need to be updated to match, and those soft spinny balls will be my desire (honestly, I played some of the best golf in my life with a balata... but then, my playing competitors weren't using Pro V's either ;)).  I appreciate everyone's comments about what works for them and why 🙂

I am 66 so I can understand a lot of the tradeoffs you are describing.  Since I did not play too much golf from about 30 (when first kid was born) until about 61), I never had the 280 yard drives (back when I played more, woods were wood and balls were balata).  

But, I have not really noticed the tradeoff in that I have not seen longer distances from golf balls like Supersoft than from balls with urethane covers.  The one exception is Pinnacle, which I have only played when I have found one.  They go a real long way, but I have found them impossible to stop on the green.  For me, my weakness is my short game so I need to play balls that will hold the green.  I will worry about spinning back a 7 iron too much when it happens.

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

I have long been searching for the ideal mid-spin ball.

I did a field test a couple of years back on the second-phase e6 ball. It performed similar to the newer two-piece Callaway SuperSoft. Good overall ball, but little or no spin for shots inside 30 yards.

The three-piece Callaway SuperHot gives me better close-in spin. Has a softer ionomer cover. I can't back it up, but I get accurate one-hoppers. Canned three LW shots last summer for birdies. And, part of stopping power is descent angle. Moving to a LW for most greenside shots has helped with control.

This past summer I found that I had accumulated five sleeves of Srixon Q-Star Tour golf balls, so I gave them a try. The three-piece QST has a urethane cover with "Spin Skin" coating, which enhances short-game spin. But it comes in ~ $34 a dozen, some $10 to $15 less per dozen than ProV1 and its upscale rivals.

QST is supposed to be a lower-spin ball for full shots, but it launches high so descent angle is steeper and I can get it to hold greens. Again, I don't usually back it up, but can get stable one-hopper on clean strike. And, my Mav MAX irons have fairly high lofts, so this helps with spin and descent angle.

Note that I play chip and run often greenside, and will often use a 7-iron bump shot inside 60 yards on windy days. So, a ProV1 type ball would make it more difficult to get runout when I wanted it.

@Tiftaaft, I hope  you don't rate me as off-topic because of QST mention. It's a urethane ball, it works for me, but it doesn't cost $50 a dozen.

Edited by Greenside
Note to Tiftaaft

What's In The Bag

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set 9.5°, weights neutral  ||  Fairways:  Calla Rogue 4W (17°) + 7W (21°)
Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Osize 4H (22°)  ||  Irons:  Callaway Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  Calla MD3 / 48°,  and... MD4 / 54° , 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)
Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred), or Srixon QStar Tour

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This was a fun read. Just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors.

First of all, please don’t discourage folks from buying ProV1s—it’s always a treat to come across an abandoned one among the trees while trying to find my own. 😜

Seriously, I would love to read a MGS comparison of non-urethane balls. It’s been a while since I’ve tried another non-urethane apart from the Duo line, mostly because the couple I have tried have felt like rocks. 

Not too long ago I bought a box of Wilson Staff Models. Why? I just wanted to try them out, and they’re cheaper in the US to buy. I like them well enough, but I’m not about to use them exclusively. I have done a side-by-side comparison between Model and Duo Soft+ balls, and I can tell the difference. However, if I were blindfolded, A) I wouldn’t be able to tell you which was which, and B) I’d most like miss the hole with either ball since I’d be blindfolded.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

On 2/5/2022 at 9:20 AM, Tiftaaft said:

Having said all that... as I sit here today, on the injured reserve from my golf game, I am considering my options for 2022, and thinking that I may focus less on trying to get maximum distance from my swings (Tee and Approach) and accept my old age fate of never again hitting a 280 yard drive or a 165 yard 7 iron.  So that will shift my focus to fairway woods, hybrids, and wedges.... so my "performance equation" may need to be updated to match, and those soft spinny balls will be my desire (honestly, I played some of the best golf in my life with a balata... but then, my playing competitors weren't using Pro V's either ;)).  I appreciate everyone's comments about what works for them and why 🙂

I know I mentioned this earlier (back in August on this thread) I would give the Top Flight Gamer a go. I was impressed when I did the testing on this ball. And I am pretty particular on the ball I play. I got the distance and performance. Did it spin back? No, not for me but I never really could. So my ball typically just sits or a one hop and stop. I'm fine with that, and this ball did that.  It felt a little softer than what I prefer but not by much. Trust me when I say I always hated Top Flight balls. After testing these I changed my opinion. But as you get older or injured the softer feel does not have as much impact on the joints. 

I had to accept the need to change my bag set up as I am in my mid 60's these days. I look at it differently. The older I get the smarter I get. I now have a 7 wood and a 5 hybrid in my bag. They are easier to hit and do what I need them to do and the results are better than trying to hit a 3 or 4 iron. Currently the Maxfli tour is in play for me for urethane. If I was going to steer away from urethane I would go back to the Gamers. Just not when the temperatures get near or below 40 degrees. They just lost their rebound and died. But who wants to play in 40 or below anyway!    

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I had to accept the need to change my bag set up as I am in my mid 60's these days. I look at it differently. The older I get the smarter I get. I now have a 7 wood and a 5 hybrid in my bag. They are easier to hit and do what I need them to do and the results are better than trying to hit a 3 or 4 iron. Currently the Maxfli tour is in play for me for urethane. If I was going to steer away from urethane I would go back to the Gamers.

Tom, If I didn't know better, I would think we were the same golfer.  But then I remembered your Hcap.... 😞   Nope... definitely not the same golfer.  

I too dumped my 3, 4 and 5 irons for the 7W and 5H.  My margin for error is just much less with those clubs than with irons.  The only issue i have now is finding a bag big enough to fit all the wood and hybrid headcovers in it. haha.  And of course the Maxfli Tour CG, which I game as shown in my "bag" below.  I dabbled with the Gamer after your previous comment, and I liked it.  And similar to your comment... If I wasn't so enamored with the Maxfli, I would have given it a strong second look before now.. but based on this recent comment, I may just do that sooner than later.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

10 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Tom, If I didn't know better, I would think we were the same golfer.  But then I remembered your Hcap.... 😞   Nope... definitely not the same golfer.  

I too dumped my 3, 4 and 5 irons for the 7W and 5H.  My margin for error is just much less with those clubs than with irons.  The only issue i have now is finding a bag big enough to fit all the wood and hybrid headcovers in it. haha.  And of course the Maxfli Tour CG, which I game as shown in my "bag" below.  I dabbled with the Gamer after your previous comment, and I liked it.  And similar to your comment... If I wasn't so enamored with the Maxfli, I would have given it a strong second look before now.. but based on this recent comment, I may just do that sooner than later.  

We are probably closer to the same golfer than you think. Although my handicap is currently a .6 it is based on my home course that I have played close to a thousand times. So its not really a traveling handicap. The other courses in my area can't compare to the conditions of mine and its private. So I have accepted being somewhat restricted. I do get out of town to play a few times a year for outings with customers and fund raiser tournments. Actually next Tuesday I'm in a tournment about an hour away. 

For me the Maxfli Tour is my serious gamer ball. However most of my charity outings that I'm in are scrambles / captains choice.  Then I will use a sleeve of Gamers. They play as well but I don't feel as bad losing one on some of those take a short cut and go for it type shots. Being the better player and the other three have a ball in play pushes you to do stupid things. 

20 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I know I mentioned this earlier (back in August on this thread) I would give the Top Flight Gamer a go. I was impressed when I did the testing on this ball. And I am pretty particular on the ball I play. I got the distance and performance. Did it spin back? No, not for me but I never really could. So my ball typically just sits or a one hop and stop. I'm fine with that, and this ball did that.  It felt a little softer than what I prefer but not by much. Trust me when I say I always hated Top Flight balls. After testing these I changed my opinion. But as you get older or injured the softer feel does not have as much impact on the joints. 

I had to accept the need to change my bag set up as I am in my mid 60's these days. I look at it differently. The older I get the smarter I get. I now have a 7 wood and a 5 hybrid in my bag. They are easier to hit and do what I need them to do and the results are better than trying to hit a 3 or 4 iron. Currently the Maxfli tour is in play for me for urethane. If I was going to steer away from urethane I would go back to the Gamers. Just not when the temperatures get near or below 40 degrees. They just lost their rebound and died. But who wants to play in 40 or below anyway!    

This day and time due to my circumstances I absolutely will not play with temps in the 40s or low 50s especially if the ocean breeze is blowing too. Basically I can not move.

7 wood wise I have had it in the bag long before I was injured. It is one of my go to clubs. I have had the 9 wood a while too. It used to be a winter time club for extra carry in cool conditions. yep I have pulled the 4 iron out. Still keep the 5 iron though because I bump and run a lot with it around my course. Can not remember the last time I tried a 5 iron shot from the fairway. For me though my 7&9 woods are very versatile. I have came to embrace "Old Beat up Man Golf".  

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

9 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

We are probably closer to the same golfer than you think. Although my handicap is currently a .6 it is based on my home course that I have played close to a thousand times. So its not really a traveling handicap. The other courses in my area can't compare to the conditions of mine and its private. So I have accepted being somewhat restricted. I do get out of town to play a few times a year for outings with customers and fund raiser tournments. Actually next Tuesday I'm in a tournment about an hour away. 

For me the Maxfli Tour is my serious gamer ball. However most of my charity outings that I'm in are scrambles / captains choice.  Then I will use a sleeve of Gamers. They play as well but I don't feel as bad losing one on some of those take a short cut and go for it type shots. Being the better player and the other three have a ball in play pushes you to do stupid things. 

My goal this year is to close that gap between our handicaps (as long as you don't move into the plus figures :)).  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

4 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

My goal this year is to close that gap between our handicaps (as long as you don't move into the plus figures :)).  

I sure wouldn't mind getting into the plus figures but I decided to have more fun this year and not work so hard at chasing scratch. I know what your thinking "but he's so close why not push that extra bit".  Truthfully, I'm a little burnt out from trying so hard the past few years. I doesn't mean I am giving up. I just don't want to be that driven. I want to see the trees and not just a particular spot in the fairway if that makes sense (I really mean see the trees, not be in them 🤣).     

13 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I know what your thinking "but he's so close why not push that extra bit".

I wasn't actually thinking that... I was busy being distracted in awe of the 0.6.  In case you were wondering... the view is nice from the trees (spoken from experience) but beautiful from the fairway (spoken by not as much experience).  😁

Scratch is scratch... whether that is +0.6 or 0.6, as far as I'm concerned.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

Hands down, the Callaway ERC Soft. It's a shockingly good ball and I hate to love it, because I cannot stand the CS lineup. But hats off to Callaway because that ERC Soft is long ball that compares really well to the TM Tour Response on approach shots and greenside shots. Closest non-urethane ball that plays like a urethane ball IMO.

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 9*, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60
:ping-small: G425 Max 5W, Accra FX 2.0 150 M4 shaft
:ping-small: G425 Max 3H, 4H
:mizuno-small: JPX921 Hot Metal 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i70
:vokey-small: SM8 56*, 60*
:EVNROLL: ER2V, +1* loft
:titleist-small: PRO V1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 2:05 AM, bogeymonsters said:

Hands down, the Callaway ERC Soft. It's a shockingly good ball and I hate to love it, because I cannot stand the CS lineup. But hats off to Callaway because that ERC Soft is long ball that compares really well to the TM Tour Response on approach shots and greenside shots. Closest non-urethane ball that plays like a urethane ball IMO.

I'm another big fan of the Callaway ERC Soft! It is as long as any ball I've played, and this year's model has improved spin over the original version. I do think it is a little overpriced for what it is, but does fill a price gap in Callaway's ball lineup.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: PXG 0211DC 5-GW w/ MMT 60 A Flex
Wedges: Kirkland 52°/56°/60° w/ True Temper Shafts
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet / Cobra King Nova / Toulon Portland
Ball:  Callaway ERC Soft / Snell MTB Black / Sugar Pure / Vice Pro

I usually don't play but sometimes during vacation I play. I played  pro v1s. Few month back I ordered some good quality balls "storm phase 2" because most of the people were saying non urethane ball are better. The ball is costly it cost me around $250. I ordered 2 piece from amazon and they were giving free delivery during festive season.

Just now, bayslarry said:

I usually don't play but sometimes during vacation I play. I played  pro v1s. Few month back I ordered some good quality balls "storm phase 2" because most of the people were saying non urethane ball are better. The ball is costly it cost me around $250. I ordered 2 piece from amazon and they were giving free delivery during festive season.

My non-urethane is the Penfold Hearts ball.

There's no practical reason for it, however,

It's just for the caché.

My regular ball is the Pro V1x. Boston Sal imprint, ball #79 model.

There's no practical reason for that, either, except with the ubiquitous Titleist, you just don't think about the ball.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

NXT Tour was my ball for years...just getting back into the game after a few years off and have a few of those left but looking for a new gamer.  Tried the Tour Soft and found it a bit too soft so currently trying out the Maxfli Tour, so far ok but haven't played enough to make a final call.  Hate when companies overthink things and get rid of a good thing, classic marketing overreach.  

• 2 weeks later...

These posts have been great. 

I’m a 72 year old 17-18 handicap that took up the game regularly later in life. Currently have a swing speed around 80. In 2014 I started with Wilson Duo Soft. At my retirement someone gave me ProV1s. I played them for awhile but it seemed to accentuate my fade farther right and didn’t go as far as the Wilsons. I stumbled across the Bridgestone TreoSoft and found it longer and straighter. I would still occasionally use the ProV1 because of reading things like MGS. When the TreoSoft was discontinued I played the E6 Soft, TruFeel (which I like in wind) and Tour Soft. When the the E12 Contact came out it didn’t have the same distance as the others but flew high and straight. I use them on Par 3s. I started playing the Srixon Soft Feel last year and found that I got solid distance and stoping power on approach shots. In buying them at Meijer last summer I noticed boxes of Treosofts and they were brand new. I bought a box and found they play very similar to the Soft Feel. In reading the back of the box the two are of very similar construction. (gradational core) I could find nothing on Bridgestone’s website about them. With continued googling I found them advertised on Bridgestone’s Australian website. They were indeed a new version. They are my ball of choice at this point as long as Meijer keeps selling them. I emailed Bridgestone about them to find out what’s going on but got no reply. A side note they do run out more than a ProV1 but I prefer a bump and run and have trouble with the checking of the ProV1. A high lofted wedge stops well enough with a TreoSoft or Soft Feel going over a bunker. 

MGS leaves out a large segment of golfers by not testing the non-Urethane two piece balls designed for guys like me. The ProV1 and other premium balls I’ve tried may be great balls but not for me and many others in my demographic. The distance and accuracy is not there for me and on less than perfect strikes it’s even worse. 

36 minutes ago, Eagle17 said:

MGS leaves out a large segment of golfers by not testing the non-Urethane

I agree with this.  I would love to see a host of non-Urethane balls tested using a Tour Level ball or two as comparison (ProV1 for example since that seems to be the standard).  As I have indicated before, I would also love to see a more granular look at swing speeds, even if it is adding one mid-metric between the three ranges tested.  I truly believe that there are measurable differences within a given range of swing speeds... especially in the slower speeds.  A swing speed range of 90 and below really has no bottom limit.  On a good day, I swing 93, but on average I'm right at 89-90... should I look at the testing for the 90 and below, or at the testing at 90-100?  Dunno.  

But back on thread - I also have an assumption that tour level balls with urethane covers are more important for the higher swing speeds, than the lower swing speeds like mine and @Eagle17.  And I could get performance as good from a non-urethane ball (except maybe around the green)... but without testing... it is just that... an assumption and my own personal experience.  An MGS test could either prove me right or wrong... and I would be very happy with either outcome to be honest. 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

14 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

I agree with this.  I would love to see a host of non-Urethane balls tested using a Tour Level ball or two as comparison (ProV1 for example since that seems to be the standard).  As I have indicated before, I would also love to see a more granular look at swing speeds, even if it is adding one mid-metric between the three ranges tested.  I truly believe that there are measurable differences within a given range of swing speeds... especially in the slower speeds.  A swing speed range of 90 and below really has no bottom limit.  On a good day, I swing 93, but on average I'm right at 89-90... should I look at the testing for the 90 and below, or at the testing at 90-100?  Dunno.  

But back on thread - I also have an assumption that tour level balls with urethane covers are more important for the higher swing speeds, than the lower swing speeds like mine and @Eagle17.  And I could get performance as good from a non-urethane ball (except maybe around the green)... but without testing... it is just that... an assumption and my own personal experience.  An MGS test could either prove me right or wrong... and I would be very happy with either outcome to be honest. 

I think your personal experience is more valuable than a launch monitor. I’ve watched a lot of ball testing videos and one question occurred to me. Since I have hit iron shots that have backed up with balls like the Titleist Trusoft DT, how can testers hit a PV1x with 11,000+ rpm and have it roll out? 

10 hours ago, Deepred said:

I think your personal experience is more valuable than a launch monitor. I’ve watched a lot of ball testing videos and one question occurred to me. Since I have hit iron shots that have backed up with balls like the Titleist Trusoft DT, how can testers hit a PV1x with 11,000+ rpm and have it roll out? 

As the literal answer to your question, you play softer greens than the algorithm assumes 😄 

This is part of what I wish reviewers took into account: the numbers are useful, but unless we have context for what that means in real-life on the courses we play, they're just comparative points of reference. I used to hit the ball very high and so even mid-spin balls were too aggressive on the soft greens I play. As soon as I started flighting shots down, I was having trouble holding greens unless I switched to a higher-spin ball. It all depends on how you play the game and where you play it!

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 minute ago, GregGarner said:

As the literal answer to your question, you play softer greens than the algorithm assumes 😄 

This is part of what I wish reviewers took into account: the numbers are useful, but unless we have context for what that means in real-life on the courses we play, they're just comparative points of reference. I used to hit the ball very high and so even mid-spin balls were too aggressive on the soft greens I play. As soon as I started flighting shots down, I was having trouble holding greens unless I switched to a higher-spin ball. It all depends on how you play the game and where you play it!

I will go one step further GG... many of my course's greens slope from back to front, and depending on how close to watering time I am, or the time of the day in the south Texas heat... the "softness" is gradient from back to front.. I can hit the same shot from a distance, trajectory and spin standpoint, but if I'm hitting the back, middle or front of the green, the water seems to "pool" longer on the front (don't even get me started on the plugged lies I have had on the aprons leading up the green).  If I hit the front of the green, I could be playing a Nitro and spin it back.  Haha.  And we pay good money to subject ourselves to this game!!  😆

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Just now, Tiftaaft said:

I will go one step further GG... many of my course's greens slope from back to front, and depending on how close to watering time I am, or the time of the day in the south Texas heat... the "softness" is gradient from back to front.. I can hit the same shot from a distance, trajectory and spin standpoint, but if I'm hitting the back, middle or front of the green, the water seems to "pool" longer on the front (don't even get me started on the plugged lies I have had on the aprons leading up the green).  If I hit the front of the green, I could be playing a Nitro and spin it back.  Haha.  And we pay good money to subject ourselves to this game!!  😆

I grew up in Humble. I'm well familiar with this problem! 😄 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Maxfli Straightfli matte finish balls. Long, straight, and soft feel.  

PXG Gen 2  80211X driver w/AXE Mystic 5 shaft S Flex

Taylormade M1 3w w/AXE Superlite FW shaft, S Flex

Sonartec 3 and 4 Hybrids w/AXE Hybrid shafts, S flex

Maltby TS-1's, 5-GW w/AXE Rapid Taper Shafts, S flex soft stepped

Maltby DBM wedges, 60/56 w/AXE Clasic RT Spin Wedge shafts

I have been playing the Wilson staff Duo Plus and I really love the feel especially with the putting but I decided to try the maxfly tour and I must say that I'm getting an additional 10 yards on drives with the Max fly that I was with the Wilson Duo

Mizuno MP68 Irons

Duo Soft + or Duo Spin have been my favorite for a few years. The Zip too. The softer compression allows me to play more without my hands killing me. 

My WITB:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR TP 10*

3 Wood - Tour Edge CB2 15*
Irons - Wilson Staff V2 4-pw

Wedges - Wilson Staff 54* & 58*
Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

Ball - Wilson Staff Duo Spin or Soft

The algorithm needs adjustment is my point. Unless it’s an old fashioned US Open set up no green is that hard. But, you are illustrating my overall point, individual play should determine what ball instead of ball tests, especially robot tests.

I’ve ever played: Slazenger circa 1990-1993. Man. Loved those, especially because my Dad got them free since he was the HS golf coach!!!! I never paid for a ball through those years! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 1 month later...

Currently, I've been trying out the Wilson Staff Triad, Top Flite Gamer, Maxfli Tour, & MG Golf c4 senior. I've been using the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite for the last 7 years. It's been difficult to get away from. It does everything I need it to do. 

Edited by rd1959

On 8/28/2021 at 7:31 PM, storm319 said:

No longer made but my favorite ionomer ball was the Taylormade Aeroburner Pro (and it’s predecessor the Burner TP LDP). By far the closest to TPU of any ionomer blends I have tried, unfortunately Taylomade’s subsequent offerings have been noticeably firmer. 

With that said, most players would benefit from a multilayer urethane ball over any ionomer offering.

I loved the Aeroburner Pro. Good, straight distance off the tee, great approach hop and stop, chips and pitches checked up. Putting was smooth. Tried the Tour Response, not for me.

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c