Jump to content

Favorite Non-Urethane Ball?


Tiftaaft
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 8/24/2021 at 10:06 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

I am always shocked at the number of Pro V1s I find out there. At $4+ a ball, I'm gonna find one if I hit it wild. My home course has more hackers than serious players, so I find 1 of 3 balls.

1. Pro V1s

2. Brand new Srixon Soft Feel or Callaway Supersoft/hot cause that's what the course sells (probably have 2 swings on them)

3. Grandpa's Maxfli, for the discerning golfer playing whatever's in the back of the garage. 

I actually find the Maxfli Tour surprisingly good, for 24 balls/$55 (last years model).

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, gmmiddle said:

I actually find the Maxfli Tour surprisingly good, for 24 balls/$55 (last years model).

I showed my buddy the ball labs and he went and bought those. I'm gonna need to trade him sleeves.

  • Like 2

Take Dead Aim

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: Odyssey Versa #7 32"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, Tiftaaft said:

General question as we are all diving neck deep (or more) into the recent ball test that came out on Urethane cover balls.  What Non-Urethane ball are you playing for distance? Feel? Spin?

Different characteristics than from a Urethane ball for sure...  

I have been all over the board.  At current, I have boxes of Snell (X and Black), 2019 ChromeSoft, 2021 ChromeSoft, 2021 Supersoft, 2021 TP5X, Wilson Staff Elite 50, 2019 ProV1X, 2021 ProV1X, and a few dozen of other "found" test balls of various makes and models.  

I am currently gaming the MTB-X, and may soon commit to either the TP5X, but will also be picking up a box of left dash for tryouts.  But I'm also intrigued by some of the Ionomer and Surlyn offerings, especially when considering the distance off the tee and irons if it exists. 

I recently played a few practice rounds with the Elite 50's, and while it is difficult to narrow down the true differences off the tee based on my ever evolving swing (from one hole to the next it some cases), it does seem to offer comparable distance to the MTB-X and TP5X... maybe a few yards shorter... and when I manage to hit the green with a full iron shot, (at least at my course)... the pitch mark is within a few feet, so that is manageable.  

Just curious to know what others have experienced and are playing.

For me its a tossup between the Wilson Duo and the Pinnacle Rush or Soft.  Ive always liked Pinnacles because they are a poor man's Titleist and because they are made in the USA.

  • Like 1

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll play Surlyn/Ionomer golf balls during the winter months (in Colorado) when the greens are so hard, no ball spins and stops.

For me, I play the Wilson Duo or the Srixon Soft Feel's.  When the grass goes dormant, I stick to colored balls so they're easier to find.

Last winter, I picked up some 2-piece urethane balls from SaintNine, the U-Pro comes in white, pink or yellow.  They sell for $24.99, but do Buy-One/Get-One free sales all the time.  At that price, it's a steal of a deal!  Current deal is with the code of FRIENDS, it's 50% off.  Including shipping, its $18.45 total

For an extra bonus - you can add a freeze 3-ball sleeve to your order for $0.00.

If you want just the Free 3-sleeve ball, put them in your cart with the code:  S9FREE for free shipping too!

 

FYI - not affiliated with SaintNine in any way, just passing along some deals on a pretty good ball.

-- Peejer

  • Like 1

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Max Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3hybrid
:taylormade-small: M6 irons (4-GW)
:mizuno-small: MP-T7 wedges
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:Snell: "MTB-X" Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 3.5+ Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png Launch Monitor


Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the Vice Tour as well, but I'm kind of a Vice fanboy. Pretty long off the tee/decent wedge spin for only $24.99 (as I'm writing this the website has them for $21.99). Vice's website is full of great content. I wish all manufacturers had as much data on their sites as Vice. I also wish they were made in America and shipped faster (you can't always get what you want). I certainly can't ignore that Titleist makes the best ball, no matter the model. The Velocity is long and straight, but about $27.99 a box. I've even had surprising luck with the TaylorMade Distance+. That ball seems to fly long and straight for me. I found the newest model at Walmart for only $11.99. That's a crazy price for a decent ball, especially if you want low driver spin. Speaking of low driver spin...after reading the ball test and looking at the data for my swing speed (mid-high), I might just have to buy a box of the TaylorMade Tour Response and give them a go! They are going for $34.97 a box, but I should have snagged one or two when I saw them last week on Amazon for $29.99. Lesson learned, buy em when you see em. 

PXL_20210519_221247988.MP.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

well, I for one like the Titleist TruFeel balls.  I like the Titleist Pro VI's off my driver (when new), but man, those things wear out way too fast.  And once they wear out, for my swing I see a serious loss in distance off of driver (i'm typically around 100 mph on driver, and i think i probably back off of top speed on all my irons for the sake of contact).  On top of that, i have a hard time predicting just how much i'm going to spin it.  I'm very capable of hitting "drop and stop" chip shots, and they're fun to hit, but RARELY is that shot ever a necessity.  But with distance approaches, i'm just not good enough to be so consistent not to accidentally hit a big-time spinner that backs up off the green (and i'm about a 2 handicap).  The TruFeel ball doesn't spin as much, but that's perfect for me.  It seems to "spring" off my irons giving me about a half-club more distance (but it's slightly shorter than the Pro V's when i hit them good with driver, if they're new with slick covers). 

 

I think Tony at MGS hit on something about the covers being a little firmer, with softer cores, on those non-urethane balls.  They certainly work for my swing, they're cheaper, and they're WAY tougher.  I've been playing the same ball now for about 4 or 5 rounds, and it's still performing like it did when it was new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2021 at 7:38 PM, ZenGolfer said:

For me its a tossup between the Wilson Duo and the Pinnacle Rush or Soft.  Ive always liked Pinnacles because they are a poor man's Titleist and because they are made in the USA.

Always have a soft spot for Pinnacle. My dad kept the Titleist, so my bag was full of those for years.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: Odyssey Versa #7 32"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No longer made but my favorite ionomer ball was the Taylormade Aeroburner Pro (and it’s predecessor the Burner TP LDP). By far the closest to TPU of any ionomer blends I have tried, unfortunately Taylomade’s subsequent offerings have been noticeably firmer. 
 

With that said, most players would benefit from a multilayer urethane ball over any ionomer offering.

  • Like 1

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first ball I sort of played "religiously" was the TaylorMade Penta Speed. I really kind of liked that ball.

  • Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, storm319 said:

No longer made but my favorite ionomer ball was the Taylormade Aeroburner Pro (and it’s predecessor the Burner TP LDP). By far the closest to TPU of any ionomer blends I have tried, unfortunately Taylomade’s subsequent offerings have been noticeably firmer. 
 

With that said, most players would benefit from a multilayer urethane ball over any ionomer offering.

Respectfully but completely disagree. I think most players would benefit from playing lower shots with more bounce and roll and stop trying to fly the ball all the way to the hole. Stats say amateurs come up short at least 70% of the time. The last thing they need is a ball that spins more and stops faster. 

Quick story. The first time I shot under par I showed up at the course on a day with 20+ mph winds only to discover I had no golf balls in my bag. I found a scuffed up top flite about 30 yards from the first tee and started the round. About 3 hours and 69 strokes later I promised myself I would never stress out about what ball I was using again, and I would certainly never pay 4 bucks a ball again. It ain't the ball, it's the swing. If you're not scratch, you're throwing money away on premium balls. Just my opinion, but backed by 25 years as a coach and teacher.

  • Like 5

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Respectfully but completely disagree. I think most players would benefit from playing lower shots with more bounce and roll and stop trying to fly the ball all the way to the hole. Stats say amateurs come up short at least 70% of the time. The last thing they need is a ball that spins more and stops faster. 

Quick story. The first time I shot under par I showed up at the course on a day with 20+ mph winds only to discover I had no golf balls in my bag. I found a scuffed up top flite about 30 yards from the first tee and started the round. About 3 hours and 69 strokes later I promised myself I would never stress out about what ball I was using again, and I would certainly never pay 4 bucks a ball again. It ain't the ball, it's the swing. If you're not scratch, you're throwing money away on premium balls. Just my opinion, but backed by 25 years as a coach and teacher.

My own experience, Riverboat, is that playing on the ground and playing in the air isn't entirely handicap related.

It's a matter of which comes more intuitively.

I was never a scratch player, but right from the beginning, I felt better hitting to the pin.  I just had a feel for it.

Also, if you short side yourself, the hole is cut nine feet from the near side, and you're hitting from just the other side of a yawning greenside bunker,

the successful bump and run would be quite the feat, no?

 

 

  • Like 2

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

My own experience, Riverboat, is that playing on the ground and playing in the air isn't entirely handicap related.

It's a matter of which comes more intuitively.

I was never a scratch player, but right from the beginning, I felt better hitting to the pin.  I just had a feel for it.

Also, if you short side yourself, the hole is cut nine feet from the near side, and you're hitting from just the other side of a yawning greenside bunker,

the successful bump and run would be quite the feat, no?

 

 

I have no problem with your decision to play the ball in the air. My problem comes when people blindly encourage others to waste 50 bucks on balls that are unlikely to help their game. Based on my experience, i don't doubt your decision is best for you, but I do think you are in the minority. I said MOST players would benefit from the slower stopping ball, not all. 

I shot two over this morning. Two of my birdies came on 9 irons that I landed 7 or 8 yards short of the pin.  Each released and rolled to within a foot of the pin. Playing the air game, I would have had to hit harder or go to 8 iron, both of which would have made me one club less accurate. Those shots are far more common than the flop over the bunker you describe. 

By the way, I was playing a Wilson fifty elite ( my favorite ball) that I paid about 87 cents for. 

  • Like 5

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I have no problem with your decision to play the ball in the air. My problem comes when people blindly encourage others to waste 50 bucks on balls that are unlikely to help their game. Based on my experience, i don't doubt your decision is best for you, but I do think you are in the minority. I said MOST players would benefit from the slower stopping ball, not all. 

I shot two over this morning. Two of my birdies came on 9 irons that I landed 7 or 8 yards short of the pin.  Each released and rolled to within a foot of the pin. Playing the air game, I would have had to hit harder or go to 8 iron, both of which would have made me one club less accurate. Those shots are far more common than the flop over the bunker you describe. 

By the way, I was playing a Wilson fifty elite ( my favorite ball) that I paid about 87 cents for. 

I would agree that playing on the ground suits more players, and that the games of higher handicap players aren't hyper ball dependent..

The Wilson Fifty Elite, by the way, is the favorite ball of my friend who plays hickory shafted clubs from Louisville Golf and Tad Moore.

Those nostalgia sticks are expensive, so he's obviously not trying to save money.  

He really likes the ball and plays quite well with them.

 

 

Edited by BostonSal
  • Like 1

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

My own experience, Riverboat, is that playing on the ground and playing in the air isn't entirely handicap related.

It's a matter of which comes more intuitively.

I was never a scratch player, but right from the beginning, I felt better hitting to the pin.  I just had a feel for it.

Also, if you short side yourself, the hole is cut nine feet from the near side, and you're hitting from just the other side of a yawning greenside bunker,

the successful bump and run would be quite the feat, no?

 

 

I neglected to address the flop shot you described.  In my experience, for each time most amateurs get that shot close, they'll dump it in the bunker or skull it way past at least twice. They'd be much better served playing a square sand wedge to let the bounce protect them from the shots I just described and settle for the 15 or 20 foot putt that would result from that shot most of the time. Again, I'm not addressing your game specifically, but speaking in majority terms. Heroic shot attempts cost most golfers multiple, multiple shots per round. Is the thrill of pulling one of those off per round worth the 6 or 10 strokes they threw away on the ones they missed?  I'm saying no, but I've had players tell me that one shot that came off "just like the pros play it" is all they care about. And if that's their decision, I'm fine with it. Again, my issue is with those who encourage people to spend blindly without considering what's actually best for their game. 

  • Like 2

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

I would agree that playing on the ground suits more players, and that the games of higher handicap players aren't hyper ball dependent..

The Wilson Fifty Elite, by the way, is the favorite ball of my friend who plays hickory shafted clubs from Louisville Golf and Tad Moore.

Those nostalgia sticks are expensive, so he's obviously not trying to save money.  

He really likes the ball and plays quite well with them.

 

 

Love the fifty elite. I've done side by side comparisons with all of the "premium" balls, and with my 95mph driver swing it's 10 yards longer than any of them. And it reacts exactly as I like off the irons. I've gotten many aging players to try them and many have made the switch to softer balls. More performance for less money, with the bonus of less aches and pains. 

  • Like 2

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

 Again, my issue is with those who encourage people to spend blindly without considering what's actually best for their game. 

I agree. 

As for the flop shot, I played it long before I knew it's name, and didn't know how hard it was until I tried to play it with a wedge with bounce.

With a zero bounce lob wedge, the catastrophe only comes in when people get afraid and decelerate. 

And that's easy to do if the shot isn't intuitive to you.

  • Like 1

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After I rinsed my TaylorMade Tour Response today on 6, I grabbed the Titleist Velocity and finished the round. 

  • Different feel putting?  Yes. 
  • Different release on approach shots to the green?  Yes. 
  • At least middle of the green distance on approach shots (even when missing to the right or left)?  Yes. 
  • Was I chipping or putting back to the hole more often than from short of the hole.  Yes. 
  • Is there an advantage or disadvantage to be long vs. short on the holes (for example putting downhill vs. uphilll)?  Inconclusive
  • Does it take a few holes (specifically chips and putts) to get used to compared to a Urethane ball?  Yes. 
  • Will I grab the Velocity the next time I walk to #1... Yes.
  • Do I need to spend time at the putting green working on drills?  Most definitely Yes.  (But this has nothing to do with the ball, to my knowledge a non-urethane ball doesn't make you close the toe and dead pull a putt..... or 6 🤣

This is my experience, YMMV.

This is not to say I'm not happy with the TMTR... I think it is a good fit for me as well.

  • Like 2

Official MGS Tester: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 115 shafts (<--- Click Here)

  • Titleist TSi3 9* Driver
  • Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Titleist 2021 T200 6-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Odyssey 2 Ball Ten-s
  • Maxfli Tour
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Love the fifty elite. I've done side by side comparisons with all of the "premium" balls, and with my 95mph driver swing it's 10 yards longer than any of them.

I really like this ball too.  I felt like I was losing a little distance with it compared to some of the higher compression balls in my bag, but my swing isn't consistent enough to hit 3 or 4 drives and expect that the distance difference is the ball, and not my swing.  I really like the feel of this ball tee to hole.  

Official MGS Tester: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 115 shafts (<--- Click Here)

  • Titleist TSi3 9* Driver
  • Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Titleist 2021 T200 6-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Odyssey 2 Ball Ten-s
  • Maxfli Tour
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...