Favorite Non-Urethane Ball?

Tiftaaft

1 minute ago, GregGarner said:

As the literal answer to your question, you play softer greens than the algorithm assumes 😄 

This is part of what I wish reviewers took into account: the numbers are useful, but unless we have context for what that means in real-life on the courses we play, they're just comparative points of reference. I used to hit the ball very high and so even mid-spin balls were too aggressive on the soft greens I play. As soon as I started flighting shots down, I was having trouble holding greens unless I switched to a higher-spin ball. It all depends on how you play the game and where you play it!

I will go one step further GG... many of my course's greens slope from back to front, and depending on how close to watering time I am, or the time of the day in the south Texas heat... the "softness" is gradient from back to front.. I can hit the same shot from a distance, trajectory and spin standpoint, but if I'm hitting the back, middle or front of the green, the water seems to "pool" longer on the front (don't even get me started on the plugged lies I have had on the aprons leading up the green).  If I hit the front of the green, I could be playing a Nitro and spin it back.  Haha.  And we pay good money to subject ourselves to this game!!  😆

• Haha 1

Official MGS Tester: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 115 shafts (<--- Click Here)

• Titleist TSi3 9* (@ 10.5*) Driver
  • Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Titleist 2021 T200 6-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour

Just now, Tiftaaft said:

I will go one step further GG... many of my course's greens slope from back to front, and depending on how close to watering time I am, or the time of the day in the south Texas heat... the "softness" is gradient from back to front.. I can hit the same shot from a distance, trajectory and spin standpoint, but if I'm hitting the back, middle or front of the green, the water seems to "pool" longer on the front (don't even get me started on the plugged lies I have had on the aprons leading up the green).  If I hit the front of the green, I could be playing a Nitro and spin it back.  Haha.  And we pay good money to subject ourselves to this game!!  😆

I grew up in Humble. I'm well familiar with this problem! 😄 

• Haha 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60X
Fun driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 9.5* with 46.5" Tensei CK White 60S
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 54* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s, :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago

Ball: Maxfli Tour, ProV1, TP5x, Left Dash
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed: and Fit for Golf 

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review

Maxfli Straightfli matte finish balls. Long, straight, and soft feel.  

• Like 1

PXG Gen 2  80211X driver w/AXE Mystic 5 shaft S Flex

Taylormade M1 3w w/AXE Superlite FW shaft, S Flex

Sonartec 3 and 4 Hybrids w/AXE Hybrid shafts, S flex

Maltby TS-1's, 5-GW w/AXE Rapid Taper Shafts, S flex soft stepped

Maltby DBM wedges, 60/56 w/AXE Clasic RT Spin Wedge shafts

I have been playing the Wilson staff Duo Plus and I really love the feel especially with the putting but I decided to try the maxfly tour and I must say that I'm getting an additional 10 yards on drives with the Max fly that I was with the Wilson Duo

Mizuno MP68 Irons

Duo Soft + or Duo Spin have been my favorite for a few years. The Zip too. The softer compression allows me to play more without my hands killing me. 

My WITB:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR TP 10*

3 Wood - Tour Edge CB2 15*
Irons - Wilson Staff V2 4-pw

Wedges - Wilson Staff 54* & 58*
Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

Ball - Wilson Staff Duo Spin or Soft

The algorithm needs adjustment is my point. Unless it’s an old fashioned US Open set up no green is that hard. But, you are illustrating my overall point, individual play should determine what ball instead of ball tests, especially robot tests.

I’ve ever played: Slazenger circa 1990-1993. Man. Loved those, especially because my Dad got them free since he was the HS golf coach!!!! I never paid for a ball through those years! 

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

• 1 month later...

Currently, I've been trying out the Wilson Staff Triad, Top Flite Gamer, Maxfli Tour, & MG Golf c4 senior. I've been using the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite for the last 7 years. It's been difficult to get away from. It does everything I need it to do. 

Edited by rd1959

On 8/28/2021 at 7:31 PM, storm319 said:

No longer made but my favorite ionomer ball was the Taylormade Aeroburner Pro (and it’s predecessor the Burner TP LDP). By far the closest to TPU of any ionomer blends I have tried, unfortunately Taylomade’s subsequent offerings have been noticeably firmer. 

With that said, most players would benefit from a multilayer urethane ball over any ionomer offering.

I loved the Aeroburner Pro. Good, straight distance off the tee, great approach hop and stop, chips and pitches checked up. Putting was smooth. Tried the Tour Response, not for me.

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c