:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Flange line only. Had a few Odyssey putters years ago (DFX?) that the site lines always looks skewed to me that when it looked like it was aimed on my line, made the putter to appear as if the face was open.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

After reading of how Edel does their putting fittings and of the individuality on sight lines and how individuals perceive them as open/square/shut, I did some experimenting with my putter.  I taped over the sight line and tried different configurations of marks with a sharpie.  Primitive I know.  But you know what? Some putts I consistently hit to the right of the cup, others to the left and some right into the hole.   When you are on a practice mat on concrete in your house and there are basically no ground inconsistencies like grass bumps or breaks etc, you hit exactly where you are aimed.   Or will over the course of a bunch of putts.   I narrowed down a lot of options to just a few and worked them forward and backward and came to the conclusion which one was best for me on my current putter.   Been putting with so much more confidence ever since.   And holing a bunch of putts! 

I'd still like to do a proper putter fitting but based on what my conclusions are on sight lines but I am not convinced anything sort of a fitting that addresses the individuality of site lines is adequate. 

Try the test our and see for yourself.   Unless you are gaming a triple track or something with a ton of sight lines it is really easy to do and costs you nothing. 

5 minutes ago, VtheGNMan said:

After reading of how Edel does their putting fittings and of the individuality on sight lines and how individuals perceive them as open/square/shut, I did some experimenting with my putter.  I taped over the sight line and tried different configurations of marks with a sharpie.  Primitive I know.  But you know what? Some putts I consistently hit to the right of the cup, others to the left and some right into the hole.   When you are on a practice mat on concrete in your house and there are basically no ground inconsistencies like grass bumps or breaks etc, you hit exactly where you are aimed.   Or will over the course of a bunch of putts.   I narrowed down a lot of options to just a few and worked them forward and backward and came to the conclusion which one was best for me on my current putter.   Been putting with so much more confidence ever since.   And holing a bunch of putts! 

I'd still like to do a proper putter fitting but based on what my conclusions are on sight lines but I am not convinced anything sort of a fitting that addresses the individuality of site lines is adequate. 

Try the test our and see for yourself.   Unless you are gaming a triple track or something with a ton of sight lines it is really easy to do and costs you nothing. 

Interesting experiment and similar to Edel except you didn’t describe fitting for aim.   you looked at where the ball went so you are looking at face angle at impact and path influences.   Aim at setup does not always matchup with impact.   What that means is that your best results may come from a setup that aimed right or left of the hole and the path and rotation of the putter returned it to a better impact position.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Interesting experiment and similar to Edel except you didn’t describe fitting for aim.   you looked at where the ball went so you are looking at face angle at impact and path influences.   Aim at setup does not always matchup with impact.   What that means is that your best results may come from a setup that aimed right or left of the hole and the path and rotation of the putter returned it to a better impact position.  

Very true and valid point.  I couldn't find a way to copy the alignment part of the fit.  Even bought a couple dollar laser pointer and had some reflective tape and tried.  LOL.

It was a very primitive test for sure.   Lots of ways to find the fairway so to speak.   It was impressive enough to me to see the need to go get fit for a putter.  And now I won't do one in which fitting for sight lines isn't part of the fit.    In rural Iowa though, easier said than done.   : ( 

8 minutes ago, VtheGNMan said:

Very true and valid point.  I couldn't find a way to copy the alignment part of the fit.  Even bought a couple dollar laser pointer and had some reflective tape and tried.  LOL.

It was a very primitive test for sure.   Lots of ways to find the fairway so to speak.   It was impressive enough to me to see the need to go get fit for a putter.  And now I won't do one in which fitting for sight lines isn't part of the fit.    In rural Iowa though, easier said than done.   : ( 

Edel is really the only fitting that focuses on aim biases that I have seen.  I am more in the camp of consistent aim and then fitting the putter to rotate properly through the stroke.  But it sounds like you did a great job in fine tuning your putter. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

for me I prefer to see the "whole putter" , meaning I dont really aim with the markings on the putter head  

I alignment my eyes more with the butt end  of the handle and focus more on the movement of the butt end and the handle 

Im  a good long putter  with that method. when Im inside tap in range I focus on the leading edge 

Its the 3-10 foot range putts that confuse me . I prefer having a naked putter cause busy lines distract me 

I have not tried a dot , but might after reading this thread as its not as busy looking