TESTERS WANTED! ×

What kind of towel do you use?

PBH3

I played with a guy yesterday that showed up with mud caked on his clubs and got me thinking, what kind of towel (or other tool) do you use to keep your clubs and ball clean during a round?  I use either the standard white caddy towel with stripes or Club Glove waffle towel.

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

For the towel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFNRJNX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I'm now a devoted advocate of the GrooveIt brush, so much so that when mine was lost earlier this year, I had to buy another. The idea is so simple: a brush that you can fill with water to spray. But the execution is pretty nearly flawless.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I've got a little (maybe 8x8?) golf towel I picked up for a quarter at a garage sale that I use to clean clubs and balls, and a waffle towel for my face and hands.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I have about six standard golf towels from memorable courses I've played and rotate through them all. I don't use a brush on course, not necessary if I use a towel on my clubs after every shot as needed. You need to keep your grooves clean for every shot, so you need to clean them up after every shot (as needed). Just letting dirt clog grooves and cleaning after a round makes ZERO sense.

I just use an old soft toothbrush and sponge when cleaning clubs at home, don't see any advantage to anything golf specific and I'd never use any kind of stiff bristle or wire brush. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Just an old junk towel, nothing special. And the cheapest wire club brush they sell at GG.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have a cheap clip on tri-fold towel, similar to the Hapheal teal at the link above.  I also use a Frogger brand brush with the nylon bristle head attached to my bag.  I clean my grooves after most shots before putting a club back into my bag.  It usually takes 5 seconds to hit it quickly with the brush and one wipe of the towel.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist StaDry Performance Towel

It is a little expensive, but it is thick, durable, it has microfiber on the inside, a scratch pad to clean the grooves, and you can use the the outside for hands and the inside for clubs. Wetting some sections but also keeping some parts dry. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

I've been using a Frogger golf towel and really like it.  Soak the inside of it and the outside stays mostly dry.  When it gets dirty, just put it in the washing machine and it's as good as new.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

On 8/24/2021 at 6:58 AM, PBH3 said:

I played with a guy yesterday that showed up with mud caked on his clubs and got me thinking, what kind of towel (or other tool) do you use to keep your clubs and ball clean during a round?  I use either the standard white caddy towel with stripes or Club Glove waffle towel.

have an old titleist towel I just replaced with a waffle towel from an event I attended. and I also use the grove it brush.

I use a wet towel from my golf club and drape it over the cart next to my bag and also keep a dry towel on my bag. Wet towels remove everything from the clubs and the dry one gets your clubs dry so you are not hitting with wet clubs causing inconsistency.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

15 minutes ago, gman8966 said:

I use a wet towel from my golf club and drape it over the cart next to my bag and also keep a dry towel on my bag. Wet towels remove everything from the clubs and the dry one gets your clubs dry so you are not hitting with wet clubs causing inconsistency.

Interesting.  I never used a towel that started out wet. They've gotten wet, but even that not too often.

If the ground is wet, the cart has to stay on the paths.

The days where the carts have to stay on the paths are often good days to stay in the clubhouse and play gin instead,

That's just me, of course.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

2 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Interesting.  I never used a towel that started out wet. They've gotten wet, but even that not too often.

If the ground is wet, the cart has to stay on the paths.

The days where the carts have to stay on the paths are often good days to stay in the clubhouse and play gin instead,

That's just me, of course.

Not a bad idea to stay in and drink play gin, but yeah try out the wet towel, works great!

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

I’ve got an old Gatorade towel I snagged from the Cleveland cavaliers bench when we went to games back when Lebron was playing. I have a hard and soft bristled brush but barely ever use it. Worst case I’ll add a little spit shine to get things squeaky clean😂😂

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I have two old Gatorade towels - one for cleaning clubs, one for wiping off sweat.  Both get washed after each round. 

I have a soft and hard scrub brush attached to my bag.  Little spit shine, soft scrub brush, and a towel wipe before tossing the club back in the bag.  

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus