TESTERS WANTED! ×

PING i59's

fixyurdivot

Anyone else just receive the email? Looks like the i500, what am I missing here?  Personally I was hoping for a Blueprint like design with more forgiveness.

Image of i59 iron.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Anyone else just receive the email? Looks like the i500, what am I missing here?  Personally I was hoping for a Blueprint like design with more forgiveness.

Image of i59 iron.

Yea, I'm not sure what I expected here but this wasn't really it. My first thought was a new version of the i500. 

That price point though....I'm a huge Ping fan after how well my i210s play, but $2200 is STEEP. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

12 hours ago, Shankster said:

Yeah.  Those are the iBlade replacement. At nearly double the price.  Look wonderful…

Missed this review. PING i59 Forged Irons | MyGolfSpy  While I've gamed PING's for a long time (a really long time), I never kept up with all the product changes.  The $275 per arrow price tag, with stock shafts, seems nuts.  I really thought PING would try a CB solid forged design on this release.  That it is another 3 piece construction suggests to me they see solid forged irons as too design/performance limiting and an ever shrinking market segment.  Interesting changes on the grooves - more of them and change in wall angle.  I love the clean, no bling look... as I did when first eyeing the i500's.  I'm a bit disappointed in their selection of shafts and no-upcharge options; PING definitely isn't Mizuno in that department.

Still, while I barely have use marks on the new ZX5's, you can put me squarely in the "I want to try them" group.

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Missed this review. PING i59 Forged Irons | MyGolfSpy  While I've gamed PING's for a long time (a really long time), I never kept up with all the product changes.  The $275 per arrow price tag, with stock shafts, seems nuts.  I really thought PING would try a CB solid forged design on this release.  That it is another 3 piece construction suggests to me they see solid forged irons as too design/performance limiting and a ever shrinking market.  Interesting changes on the grooves - more of them and change in wall angle.  I love the clean, no bling look... as I did when first eyeing the i500's.  I'm a bit disappointed in their selection of shafts and no-upcharge options; PING definitely isn't Mizuno in that department.

Still, while I barely have use marks on the new ZX5's, you can put me squarely in the "I want to try them" group.

I know the stock shaft selection seemed weird to me, but thinking about how Nippon and a few others are still desperately trying to play catch up smart of them to offer shafts they likely know they can get right away and offer rather then having to put new clubs on backorder before they even start making them. 

I also love the look of these and would game them in a hearbeat, but I also love that nearly 3 years on the i210's are still a current iron in their lineup. Simply put it goes to show how good of an iron it is and it still has some popularity. I know I love mine and haven't really looked at changing out as they still provide me with everything I could ask for in an iron. That and the wear and tear on them is great being a cast club too. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

It will be interesting to see the blade length on these and just how small they actually are. They may look like the i500 on the surface but the i500 is a rather chunky iron. I'm guessing these will be far more compact and less forgiving. I could see these competing with the like of the T100 but the price difference is going to be a deal breaker for many. I think the T100 is still the iron to beat in it's arena of true players cavity irons. The P770 would probably be the more direct competitor if you just want to compare hollow-body designs. However, the P770 is $180/iron vs. $250/iron for the i59 on TGW currently. I don't think the average joe is going spend an extra $500 just for the Ping. I think pricing wise, Ping just went for it but I don't know that it's good for the brand.

I personally think the golden era for Ping irons were pre 2016 with the G and i series irons along with the s series. Ever since then it's been a random assortment of irons coming out of the company with few being the best in any category. Now asking over $250/club for a new design? I don't know. My only thought is that they know they don't have a big enough supply to price it competitively so they are going high to get the most out of what they will be able to produce. Nothing wrong with that but it risks putting a dent in the brand if they aren't great performers. 

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Oh yeah.  I’m not saying I wouldn’t want to try them, because I will at some point.  But I would really like to hear why the premium price tag.  Let PXG have that segment of golf. 

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I know the stock shaft selection seemed weird to me, but thinking about how Nippon and a few others are still desperately trying to play catch up smart of them to offer shafts they likely know they can get right away and offer rather then having to put new clubs on backorder before they even start making them. 

Yes, I suspect all of the OEM's are having to consider 4th and 5th dimensions into their marketing plans/product releases.

19 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

It will be interesting to see the blade length on these and just how small they actually are. They may look like the i500 on the surface but the i500 is a rather chunky iron. I'm guessing these will be far more compact and less forgiving. I could see these competing with the like of the T100 but the price difference is going to be a deal breaker for many. I think the T100 is still the iron to beat in it's arena of true players cavity irons. The P770 would probably be the more direct competitor if you just want to compare hollow-body designs. However, the P770 is $180/iron vs. $250/iron for the i59 on TGW currently. I don't think the average joe is going spend an extra $500 just for the Ping. I think pricing wise, Ping just went for it but I don't know that it's good for the brand.

I personally think the golden era for Ping irons were pre 2016 with the G and i series irons along with the s series. Ever since then it's been a random assortment of irons coming out of the company with few being the best in any category. Now asking over $250/club for a new design? I don't know. My only thought is that they know they don't have a big enough supply to price it competitively so they are going high to get the most out of what they will be able to produce. Nothing wrong with that but it risks putting a dent in the brand if they aren't great performers. 

All great points. I'm anxious to see how they stack up in the array of various head to head product tests (Rick Shields, TGW, MGS, etc.).  Even the most ardent PING aficionados are likely to raise an eyebrow on the price 🤨.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say maybe the price jump is supply chain related? Both in aspect of cost of materials as well as a way to possibly artificially deflate orders? For the record, I am 100% spitballing here. I do think the pricing is way higher than anyone anticipated, just trying to think of a few possible causes why.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

The price is a bit shocking.  In 1994, I bought a set of Titleist DCI's for around $500.  The inflation calculator puts that at $921 today.  That was for an 8 piece set, so about $115 per club.  Today, the cheapest Titleist iron is the T300 at $143 per club with a steel shaft, more for graphite.  Granted, the T300 has a lot more technology packed into it.  On the other hand, manufacturing has moved overseas for lower labor costs. 

A set of Titleist forged blades now goes for $175 per club in with steel shafts.  Even before the $250 iron, we were paying more in real dollars for clubs.  And that doesn't take into account the fact that most amateurs are unable to hit long irons and need hybrids or fairway woods for long iron shots.  Hybrids and fairway woods that cost twice as much as individual irons.

Methinks my club ho'ing days may be over.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On the other hand 🙂, I would like to see a comparison test between the Blueprint and the i59.  It would be interesting to know how close they are in appearance and performance.

On yet another hand, this may mean even more people buying DTC clubs and taking advantage of PXG's constant sales.

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

They are retailing for $250/iron and not the $275 mentioned. While that’s still high to some it’s probably going to be the norm for lots of brands in the not so distant future.

I like what they are doing with this release and just in reading should be a nice upgrade from the iblade.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They are retailing for $250/iron and not the $275 mentioned. While that’s still high to some it’s probably going to be the norm for lots of brands in the not so distant future.

I like what they are doing with this release and just in reading should be a nice upgrade from the iblade.

Time to stock up before the unnecessary price jacking goes full swing.

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Those that dont upgrade often probably could do that and be good for awhile. Drivers are going to be $600 plus next year IMO and ones that are in the sub $500 range now will be at or over $500.

Or one could just level up their financial game. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Those that dont upgrade often probably could do that and be good for awhile. Drivers are going to be $600 plus next year IMO and ones that are in the sub $500 range now will be at or over $500.

Or one could just level up their financial game. 

Just wait one week after launch shipments have gone out and then go on WRX BST and see all the for sale posts: "i bought xyz, hit 2 balls, and it didn't work out for me". LOL

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Just now, dlow206 said:

Just wait one week after launch shipments have gone out and then go on WRX BST and see all the for sale posts: "i bought xyz, hit 2 balls, and it didn't work out for me". LOL

Yeah but they'll all have rebar for shafts 🤣

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

3 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Yeah but they'll all have rebar for shafts 🤣

Part of the reason I'm setting up a build bench 👍.

A bit funny Ian(TXG) posting how similar it looks to the Nike irons.

• Cobra RadSpeed,Set 8.5
  • Callway BB 4W 15*
  • Cobra  Forged Tec 18*
  • Cobra Forged Tec 2020 4-GW , 4*Flat, Standard
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  SW: RTX 54*
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  LW: Full Face RTX 58*
  • Scotty Cameron Putter: NP2

1 hour ago, El Chivo said:

A bit funny Ian(TXG) posting how similar it looks to the Nike irons.

Why’s that a bit funny? There’s all sorts of copying of clubs of different sorts in the golf industry. Has been that way for awhile. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Why’s that a bit funny? There’s all sorts of copying of clubs of different sorts in the golf industry. Has been that way for awhile. 

The muscle part was the only thing I saw....hollow bodied design is where the game changed for me. These are gorgeous and I imagine outperform most blades.

• Cobra RadSpeed,Set 8.5
  • Callway BB 4W 15*
  • Cobra  Forged Tec 18*
  • Cobra Forged Tec 2020 4-GW , 4*Flat, Standard
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  SW: RTX 54*
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  LW: Full Face RTX 58*
  • Scotty Cameron Putter: NP2

Knowing what else is out there and other alternatives in the iron category, these i59s at their price range is a non-starter. 

Mayyybe around $1600 for a set, these would get serious considering from me ... yet there’s no denying these are a beautiful set of irons. Love the satin pearl finish with the white scoring line at the bottom groove.

Earlier in the summer, I placed an order on their G425 irons and after close to 10+ weeks of waiting, I cxld that order. Can’t imagine how long these i59s would take. 😳 

Do hope there is an i210 replacement for 2022 with a significantly lower price point. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

25 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

Knowing what else is out there and other alternatives in the iron category, these i59s at their price range is a non-starter. 

Mayyybe around $1600 for a set, these would get serious considering from me ... yet there’s no denying these are a beautiful set of irons. Love the satin pearl finish with the white scoring line at the bottom groove.

Earlier in the summer, I placed an order on their G425 irons and after close to 10+ weeks of waiting, I cxld that order. Can’t imagine how long these i59s would take. 😳 

Do hope there is an i210 replacement for 2022 with a significantly lower price point. 

If you were looking at g irons the i59 probably isn’t your ideal setup. Also if you went 5-p they would be $1500 

the i210 replacement is coming in the spring and would fit into the sub $1600 and more than likely will run about what most irons are going for now for a 7 piece set

Just now, Shankster said:

Loads of bounce too.  Curious about that and right lies.  I struggled with the high bounce on the Blueprints badly.

Seems to be their MO on that one though, the i210s and i500s have this as well which most companies go for lower bounce especially in players clubs

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 8/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, Shankster said:

Loads of bounce too.  Curious about that and right lies.  I struggled with the high bounce on the Blueprints badly.

That’s why these bad boys are right up my alley.  Considering that you can buy I-blades 3-pw for $1000, paying double for the new model  seems unlikely for me. That being said, I have an iron fitting in 2 weeks, and the i59’s are on the “hit list”

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I'll be the Negative Nancy for the thread.  🙂

These don't interest me much at all.  I'm not a fan of hollow iron heads in general, this is more of the same.  Add in the price and my interest drops even more.

For what little that's worth.  <shrug>

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

These don't interest me much at all.  I'm not a fan of hollow iron heads in general, this is more of the same.  Add in the price and my interest drops even more.

These have aluminum in them. Does that make them hollow.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 8/31/2021 at 9:27 PM, Micah T said:

That’s why these bad boys are right up my alley.  Considering that you can buy I-blades 3-pw for $1000, paying double for the new model  seems unlikely for me. That being said, I have an iron fitting in 2 weeks, and the i59’s are on the “hit list”

Please let us know how that performed and what you thought about them 👍.

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I think lots of PING aficionados feel the same.  

6 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I'd say yes.  Unless it's a solid cross-section, it's a hollow, multi-piece design.

30 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Pxg and p790 are foam filled but yet considers hollow

I hit a demo 7 iron today off a mat. The launch monitor wasn’t on, so no numbers. The feel was ok but nothing special. It did look great at address. 

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS