Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What weighs greater on tester selection having 3000 posts or donating 3000 dollars?

Tester Selection.  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

22 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Not a mod, but I'm going to say neither.

There are plenty of testers who have less than 200 posts but were chosen because their quality of content stood out.

When I was chosen to be a tester, I had not become a donor yet. So that didn't weigh in to the equasion.

This poll supposes that there's a "pay to play" model behind the scenes here at MGS. 

Completely agree, the quality of what you post is more important than how often you post.

21 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Be active on the forum, be nice, make a profile, get a profile picture.

There are so many testing opportunities available throughout a season that a wide range of people will be selected.  There will be donors, there will be people with lots of posts, there will also be non-donors, and people with much fewer posts.

There most likely will not be people who post only a handful of times a year with the majority of those posts in testing application threads.

That right there is the secret formula, being active.

20 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Agree with Brian's assessment. Can't tell you how much deliberation we would go through to select testers. The one thing we had to be sure of was would the tester actually follow through and, you know, do the test and write the review. The only tool we had to determine that was forum activity - is the person reasonably active in the forum? As Brian mentioned, did they bother to complete a profile and include a picture? We also knew there were plenty of people whose only posts were to apply for testing opportunities (it's easy to check) - so basically if the only time you ever post is to apply for a testing opportunity, you're chances aren't great. 

Another way to seriously limit your chances is to whine or complain about not getting selected. Patience is a virtue, and participation counts. So no, you don't need 3,000 posts, but it helps your chances if you participate outside of simply applying for testing opportunities. 

With all that, we would make mistakes. I can remember a few instances (I'm sure you can, too @hckymeyer, when we selected testers who received the product and were never heard from again. That makes us look bad, so we have to make judgment calls. 

I can also say with certainty the new moderator team is carrying the torch beautifully, and is absolutely committed to making the process fair and inclusive. 

Ultimately, this is a community and it's here to serve as a 19th hole for golfers who enjoy talking about all things golf, and many things non-golf. I can remember applying for many testing opportunities in the old days, and not getting chosen. C'est la vie - it didn't damped my enjoyment of the community and my interaction with the people in it. I've gotten to know many of them personally and play golf with them on occasion, and that makes it all worthwhile. And when I did get chosen - to review the Cobra Amp Cell irons (was it that long ago??) - I made sure to do the best job I could. 

As others have said, "Pay to Play" is utter nonsense. If you want to be selected as a tester, trust is an important element. And the only way mods have of gauging trustworthiness is participation beyond applying to test opportunities. There's no "minimum post" nonsense, but since this isn't a "giveaway", activity does count. 

Many of us take way too long go realize that participation is key.

18 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

you can donate the $3000 to me. 

i don’t think it’ll improve your chances, but i’ll sure like you a whole lot more 

Can we splint those 3k? that sure will make me like you a lot more too.

17 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I can promise you that I have donated significantly less than $3K.  I also am on here, probably more than I should be and like to share about my experiences on and off the course, or just talk about random things with other members.  

This while from long before I was on this site still holds a lot of truth in how testers are selected:

I see you're still pretty new (by post count or rep) despite joining before me back in 2015.  I'd encourage you to go check out some of the on-going threads in the spy chat section of the forums:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/forum/88-spy-chat/

There's always something going on in there and its a great way for everyone to get to know you and your game, which will only help the mods learn about you and how you could be a good tester.

If I donate 3k at once and it is not going to St Jude, my wife is probably making me sleep on the back yard.

I have also donate way less than 3k here and had not donated yet when I was picked for my 1st testing opportunity.

16 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll second (or third) what some of the previous mods mentioned: I don't think any of us have ever had any knowledge whatsoever of how much anyone has donated. All of that information is kept on the blog end; the forum mods and admins do not have access to it. We add the "Donor" badge to those who ask for it; we generally ask for people send us their donation ID before adding the badge, but not the amount of the donation.

We actually address this question directly in the FAQ page. In general, we look at donor status after we have looked at members who have checked all the other boxes. Depending on the test, we're looking for 1) international testers and 2) lefties (these tend to get bumped to the front of the line on any test that is open to them, because we know that they're restricted from a lot of tests). Sometimes we're looking to cover certain handicap ranges or equipment comps (e.g., a GPS device where the OEM wants a comparison with someone who uses a laser).

Only after going through all the other criteria do we typically consider donor status as a tiebreaker.

The donations being more of a tie break should also tell you that the mods are looking for quality first.

15 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm going to chime in here and agree with what others have said and 

427093854_2Q.jpg.ba57eddf3a1eb80cd1645b5c11fe3571.jpg

I think the main criteria is to be invested in the community here. I've said many times before, I joined because of the opportunity to test equipment and found a place to talk about this game and life in general with a great group of folks. That's worth more than any testing opportunity, imho. 

I'd encourage you to stick around and become involved, this is a great place to hang out. 

Indeed it is, I have made a lot of friends here, some that I have not yet met in person, but that I consider good friends nonetheless, and quite honestly care a lot for.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

12 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

The bolded part is huge. MGS has had some amazing testing opportunities for very high end gear, and I've never tossed my hat into the ring. Why? Because they wouldn't work for me. Why would I waste the OEM's money and the forums time testing something that I couldn't give an honest, fair review of? I know some people like to apply for every opportunity and it's a numbers game. For me, in the years I've been here, I was able to test & review two things that I was able to use on the course and give an honest assessment of. I think too many people overlook all the great points you made when it comes to testing & review opportunities. 

Completely agree....  I look at the item to be tested to see if it even applied to me and i consider how much time I would currently have to put into testing the item before I decide to apply as a tester.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

15 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

Can we splint those 3k? that sure will make me like you a lot more too.

and here i thought we were already best friends 

**writes check while crying**

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

4 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

and here i thought we were already best friends 

**writes check while crying**

I didnt know we were best friends.
Dont worry about money.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Lots of great input here. I really don't have much to add, but thought I might try to provide an example of what "engagement" looks like. 

*Disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been a forum mod. I'm just speaking to what I've experienced, and what I personally would like to see on a commitment level from anyone selected for testing.

Going through your activity I can see you've participated in some great discussions, but some of it honestly comes across as just surface level engagement. Of the posts I looked at, the one that shows the most thought, the most personality, and the most commitment; the one post that truly gives other members an idea of who you are is your WITB (nice setup BTW!). Those are the kinds of posts that will help your case in testing applications IMO.

The MGS forums - probably more so than any other forum I've been a member of - is all about building a community of like-minded individuals. We're all golf nerds who love the game and the many nuances of it; from how it's played at the amateur and professional levels, to rules discussion, to every piece of golf equipment in your bag, in your garage, and even hiding out in that junk drawer in the kitchen. If it pertains to golf, we geek out over it in these forums and along the way we reveal what gets us excited, what makes us frustrated or angry, and (hopefully) we evolve in our knowledge, our perceptions, and build some friendships.

I've had the pleasure of getting to meet some fellow spies and play golf with them. Those experiences have shown me we truly have some of the best people participating in discussion here and we can all learn from each other. If you seek community first, you'll find much more value in this forum than getting some free gear to review, but perhaps you'll also find yourself on the receiving end of some incredible testing opportunities. 

Best of luck!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

There is not much more I can add to this topic. I think the point has been clearly made by all.

But one thing I would recommend is that you do an un-official review of a product that you came across and found interesting enough to purchase.  Do a good review and post it. This way everyone can see what you are capable of evaluating. It also shows your writing style and such. I'm doing an un-official review right now on a very unique golf glove. I am also doing the Maxfli Tour and Tour X golf ball official review. 

Be selective! If you not going to use the item, don't apply. If and when you do get selected, do a good job and be honest with your evaluation. You have to remember that other people are making decisions based on your review. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I had an opportunity to test the Sqairz golf shoes last year and I was fairly new to the forum,  It was a great experience and I really appreciated the opportunity to give my opinion on the shoes.  I also keep up with the test thread in case somebody has a question or makes any new comments.  And yes I donated previously and continue to donate but I don't do it because i want to be a tester, I do it to support the great group here.  So thanks again to MGS for letting me be a tester previously and hopefully I can contribute again in the future in another test.  And btw, just a plug for Sqairz, they are awesome shoes and all I wear now.  😀

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I've been keeping a close eye on this thread. It has not only been a good read, but holds some valuable information for everyone to read. Both past testers, people who have never tested and the likes can all learn a little something from this thread. It has brought up a question for me though which I would be curious to see some answers to... yes probably better in poll format which I may do at a later date however here it is.

For those who HAVE already donated and tested did you BEFORE or AFTER you tested?

For those who have NOT donated (of course nobody is pressured at all to donate and please do not feel pressured to whatsoever), would you be more inclined to after you have been selected for a test?

Speaking from my own experience I donated before I tested as the site had given me so much and I wanted to contribute in a way that I could. I do recall also thinking maybe if it helps get me selected for something great, if not I'm sure I'll still get a lot out of it. Of course half my bag now is MGS testing kit and I have donated back more times after as I could when I could afford to. 

I'm fairly sure that I had donated prior to the first item I tested.  I have since donated again because I appreciate everything that this site is doing.  I only put my name in the hat for testing for items that I'd really like to test.  I've tested two items, one of which I passed on to another MSG member for a nominal fee to cover my shipping costs.  The other item, I am still using.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I've been keeping a close eye on this thread. It has not only been a good read, but holds some valuable information for everyone to read. Both past testers, people who have never tested and the likes can all learn a little something from this thread. It has brought up a question for me though which I would be curious to see some answers to... yes probably better in poll format which I may do at a later date however here it is.

For those who HAVE already donated and tested did you BEFORE or AFTER you tested?

For those who have NOT donated (of course nobody is pressured at all to donate and please do not feel pressured to whatsoever), would you be more inclined to after you have been selected for a test?

Speaking from my own experience I donated before I tested as the site had given me so much and I wanted to contribute in a way that I could. I do recall also thinking maybe if it helps get me selected for something great, if not I'm sure I'll still get a lot out of it. Of course half my bag now is MGS testing kit and I have donated back more times after as I could when I could afford to. 

I donated before getting picked for my first test which was in 2018. I continue to donate because of my belief in the methods both the main site and this forum use to test. It's the personal connection to the site that makes the decision to help out an easy one. 

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I donated after being selected for my first test. I also passed those onto another member for free because I did not use them and they were looking for what I had and I was not going to let them sit stagnant at any point

20 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I don't think being selected for a test would make me feel more inclined to donate in and of itself. Being selected for a test would make me feel as though I needed to return the trust MGS was putting in me by putting as much time and effort as needed into writing the best review possible. I think serving the people on here by putting out an incredible review would have far more value than the minor sum I'd be able to contribute. 

That being said, putting that much time and effort into something is a very personal project that can really create a deep connection. E.g., I spent months making a 5ft by 3ft tee art image of a golfer for my FIL where i had to drill each hole for thousands of tees and insert each tee by hand. Basically a more dense version of the image below. After the last tee was in, I was so proud and relieved and my FIL loved it, so I did another major tee-art piece for my wife's stepdad. Similarly, putting my all into a review for MGS and seeing everyone's responses would be a very strong tie to the board, would probably have me making a lot more unofficial ones and other posts, etc. And THAT connection to the board might get me donating down the road. 

Tldr; maybe? But not quite directly. 

20191026_184601.jpg

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:35 AM, MNUte said:

I don't think being selected for a test would make me feel more inclined to donate in and of itself. Being selected for a test would make me feel as though I needed to return the trust MGS was putting in me by putting as much time and effort as needed into writing the best review possible. I think serving the people on here by putting out an incredible review would have far more value than the minor sum I'd be able to contribute. 

That being said, putting that much time and effort into something is a very personal project that can really create a deep connection. E.g., I spent months making a 5ft by 3ft tee art image of a golfer for my FIL where i had to drill each hole for thousands of tees and insert each tee by hand. Basically a more dense version of the image below. After the last tee was in, I was so proud and relieved and my FIL loved it, so I did another major tee-art piece for my wife's stepdad. Similarly, putting my all into a review for MGS and seeing everyone's responses would be a very strong tie to the board, would probably have me making a lot more unofficial ones and other posts, etc. And THAT connection to the board might get me donating down the road. 

Tldr; maybe? But not quite directly. 

20191026_184601.jpg

Holy Cow.   That’s incredible.  I’m curious how the thought or inspiration to do that even occurred.  Had you seen it elsewhere?

Really Cool!   I bet your FIL and StepDad-In law— loved them.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

11 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Holy Cow.   That’s incredible.  I’m curious how the thought or inspiration to do that even occurred.  Had you seen it elsewhere?

Really Cool!   I bet your FIL and StepDad-In law— loved them.  

Stupidity mostly. My wife and I saw it at a store for over $500 and I told her "I can make that myself for a fraction of the price." .... Yeah, that many tees is about $100 alone, let alone the wood and fabric and the time.

But they did love the pieces, so definitely worth it! Especially seeing their faces when they realized I made it for them instead of just buying something. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I donated after being selected for a couple tests. I should have donated before that though. I wanted to, but prioritized other things first - if I'm being honest.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Donated before I was selected as a tester (Voice Caddie SL2).  Once I was selected I wanted to do a really good job on the review.

So I was pissed when I had two vehicles go kaput on me near the end of the testing window, and I had to spend a big chunk of time getting back on the road, instead of concentrating on the review, as intended.  Got it done, and think it turned out OK, and learned a bunch while doing it, so really grateful for being selected.

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TSi2 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Raw Blue 55 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V3