Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Help make my 1994 Tech Obsolete

reteezer

I just came to the sad realization that I hit my 1994 TaylorMade Burner Fairway 3w as far or farther than my 2012(ish) Titleist 913D3 Driver.    ~275yards...  Honestly, I hit my driver shorter because I've had to slow down my swing to get consistency out of it.

Shaft Detail:
 - TaylorMade shaft: r80 plus original Bubble shaft.
 - Titelist shaft:  Diamana S+ 62 x5ct Flex-s Mitsubishi Rayon

Observations & Notes:
 - 3w is about 1/4oz heavier
 - 3w is "regular" flex vs stiff of the titelist driver.
    though shaft flex seems to be a dark art measurement...
 - both shafts appear to have similar flex point
 - I hit both with mid trajectory
 - I love the feel of the 3w
 - I'd love to take adantage of modern tech and get more distance with same "ease"
 - My 150 yard club is an 80% 9iron.  
 - Driver / long club swing speed ... guessing in the mid 90's.

Any thoughts on how to get a modern club that has the same "Swing Weight" or "feel"?  I'd love to put together a new 3w and Driver.

Oh, regarding all comments that say "just keep using that club you fool" -> I know you're right, and I'm choosing to ignore.  I enjoy burning hard earned dollars on golf gear :)

Thanks, and now lets make me a club.

-reT

IMG_4868.jpg

I don’t always recommend fittings, but your situation screams for a fitting IMO. They’ll accommodate your wants & needs and let you try lots of options. If you want stock clubs, go to Golf Galaxy or a PGA Superstore. If you want custom clubs go to Club Champion, Golftec, True Spec or paid fitter of your choice.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I wouldn't knock the 90s for golf equipment.

I've still got some great Titleist technology from that period.

My set of PT fairway woods are playable right now.  

Nothing wrong with the DCI iron franchise, even though it was stainless, 

and Cleveland made some good wedges, not to give Titleist all the credit.

As for my putter, I bought it as a young kid n 1978 and it's still in the bag.

Yes, tech moves on, but 1994 wasn't exactly the Harry Vardon era.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I have no desire to knock the 90's - big fan.  Prior to those Taylormade Burners, I was using Jack Nicklaus persimmon woods through the late 80's/early 90's.  They finally cracked and I had to move on.  Hogan Edges, wilson staffs, bullsEyes, ping zings, hickory sticks.  I should put together a nostalgia bag.  My dads bag has the infamous ping eye2's.

Middlers suggestion for a fitting is likely dead on.  As a tinkerer, I was hoping for some "this is how you could clone into a modern setup with golfworks product.  But, thinking about it a touch more - bringing this gear into a fitting and asking "match please" would be pretty fun too.

This kind of sounds like a situation where you have molded your swing around the clubs in your bag. I would guess that you may find some benefit in trying a shorter driver shaft. If you're really used to your 3 wood shaft, trying to swing a 45" - 46" driver shaft may be a little challenging. Of course I'm going to tell you that you should go get fit as that is the only real way to figure out exactly what you need. I'm guessing your swing fast if you hitting your 3 wood 275. This makes getting fit all the more important as controlling spin off the driver starts to become a bigger issue with higher swing speeds.  The other suggestion might be to go take some lessons to address your swing and maybe get you to feel more comfortable with a driver. Typically when I see people having to really hold back, it's because they either have a major swing flaw and they are compensating, the club doesn't fit them at all, or they have a mental hang up they need to work through because they aren't confident in a new club. You could land in any of those camps and a combination of getting fit and lessons can certainly help you get through it.