TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing/equipment changes due to health? Who?

At 50 years old, I now have arthritis in my right knee and right clavicle/shoulder. On top of that, I've had two blood patches to seal spinal fluid leaks. I have decided to lessen the impacts on my body by moving to regular graphite shafts and shortening my swing. I have a set of Golfmsith P2 irons with Proforce XT regular shafts that I built for my dad which my son now uses to test out the graphite. I've already picked up stock Diamana Red R shafts for my hybrids. I do need to pick up a driver shaft (probably V2) as I have this in my 3W and really like the shaft. Wedges will need to be swapped out, too. Question to those that have done similar - how did the transition go for you? 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I’ve begun the journey to a swing that takes the pressure off my low back, getting lessons from a pro with this as a goal specifically. I haven’t made any changes to equipment, just the swing. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I went to graphite a number of years ago. I have an autoimmune disorder that causes issues with my hands and wrists. Graphite has certainly helped. I went back and forth between steel and graphite for a while trying to find a graphite set that didn’t feel too light. Now that I'm older, I play extremely light weight shafts but those didn’t work for me at first. I suggest trying a lighter graphite (60 - 70 grams) and a heavier graphite (90 - 100 grams) to see which weight you prefer. Good luck!

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I got shingles back in 2015 which lead to postherpetic neuralgia. I found that after 9 holes the pain got too much and most times I had to stop. I went to get a lesson to find out if there might be a away to modify my swing to minimise the pain and the only thing the pro suggested was to change my clubs. 

I talked to a friend who is a Physics Professor and he showed me on a scope the amount of vibration that was coming back though my Wilson FG tour irons with S300 steel shafts. Interestingly we found that forged irons made little if any difference to the level of vibration.

So I then started looking for replacements. I went to Callaway, Ping, Mizuno and Cobra Performance Centres and went through the fitting process advising them of the situation. So in the end it came down to two sets, the Apex and the Steelhead Pro with Recoil graphite shafts. Callaway was great and allowed me to take one of each to my friend to test. And the difference between the two was surprising. The Steelhead Pro has polyurethane inserts  and that reduced the vibration dramatically. To the point that it allowed me to complete most probably 80% of the time.

Sorry fo the long introduction. It took me about 6 months to get used to the different feel, distance etc. I initially really struggled with swing speed, I felt like I was swinging normally but my impact was really inconsistent. I eventually got a couple of lessons and found that I had altered my swing to try to compensate for the pain in my left side and secondly I was actually swinging too hard. By modifying my swing and slowing everything down I finally started to hit the ball ok and I now love the feel these clubs provide and I can now play 2-3 games a week with minimal pain.

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001