how to hit hybrids

10 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

I understand that long irons have always been the most difficult clubs to hit consistently well.

My question is this:

What makes hybrids preferable to, say, seven and nine woods?

I have 21 and 25º metalwoods that are very effective [except that I can't keep them down in wind]. 

I think it comes to personal preference and which one, hybrid or 7 wood you're most comfortable hitting.  I've always used hybrids but hit a guys heavenwood (7 wood) a couple times last round and am rethinking it now.  going to pick up a mavrik 7 wood and see how it goes.    

• Like 2

SIM2 autoflex 505

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T100S 6-gap

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58 or SM8 58*

PXG Operator H 

37 minutes ago, Larryd3 said:

I think it comes to personal preference and which one, hybrid or 7 wood you're most comfortable hitting.  I've always used hybrids but hit a guys heavenwood (7 wood) a couple times last round and am rethinking it now.  going to pick up a mavrik 7 wood and see how it goes.    

It's great to have multiple choices at that end of the bag. I'm a Heavenwood fan, and have been for years. I play one of those over a hybrid, as I never really found one that I got along with. I will also say that my swing has improved since my last hybrid attempts, so there's that to keep in mind. But no matter what, the option of going wood/hybrid/iron/driving iron in the longer clubs opens up a lot of options. 

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

1 hour ago, BostonSal said:

I understand that long irons have always been the most difficult clubs to hit consistently well.

My question is this:

What makes hybrids preferable to, say, seven and nine woods?

I have 21 and 25º metalwoods that are very effective [except that I can't keep them down in wind]. 

Comparable irons, hybrids, and woods have different characteristics.   Generally Irons launch lower, fairway woods launch higher.   Spin characteristics are different as well.    You also have to look at how well you hit the different clubs in differing lies.   Which works best in long rough?  How about wind; which you mentioned.   

selecting any club for you bag is about fulfilling a purpose….distance, launch, spin, etc.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/29/2021 at 4:34 PM, 9 holes is enough for me said:

Hitting a Hybrid about half say you should not hit down like a iron but sweep like a wood. The other half say hit down like a iron one even says 3.5 negative degrees. What do you all think. 

I've found my best consistency with my 5 Hybrid (that gaps with from my 5 iron to my u510) with placing it in just slightly forward of my stance and approaching it like an iron. The only time I ever feel the sensation of "sweeping" the club is hitting it off of the tee. 

If I'm in two minds about hitting the hybrid and I end up topping it, I tend to fix this by moving the ball back in my stance as it shows I'm releasing way too early and trying to sweep it too much. Try hitting the ball in the middle of your stance with your hybrid the next time you're at the range and work your way forward to find the best position for you!

• Driver: Cobra RadSpeed XB
  • Woods: Wilson FG Tour 3 Wood 
  • Hybrid: Wilson D350 Hybrid
  • Optional Utility: Titleist U510 4 Iron
  • Irons: Cleveland CG7 Tour - Black Pearl/Ping Eye 2 BeCu's (Red Dot)
  • Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action - 53* - Cleveland Byron Nelson BeCu Wedges - 56*, 60*
  • Putter: Cleveland Smart Square - EVNRoll Gravity Grip
  • Ball: Honma D1