Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Rotating spine towards target at setup

You'd have an open alignment of the shoulders.  Not exactly the recipe for solid ball striking.  You'd have to manipulate your swing somehow in order to return it to the ball in a manner to produce decent contact.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

12 minutes ago, CarlH said:

You'd have an open alignment of the shoulders.  Not exactly the recipe for solid ball striking.  You'd have to manipulate your swing somehow in order to return it to the ball in a manner to produce decent contact.

And how about the opposite as in having your spine tilted slightly away from the target at setup (so your shirt buttons would be pointing at your rear foot)

I'm trying to do something similar to this swing but I'm not sure whether his spine is tilted or straight up

I know he has forward shaft lean & hip is slightly towards target but I'm wondering if the spine is also tilted at address too

20 minutes ago, Timmytoe said:

What effects would rotating your spine slightly towards the target at setup have?

Is your spine rotated towards the target at setup too?

What I mean is rotating your sternum so that it's facing your front foot at setup

It is not  your spine that is rotated it would be you shoulders.  Typically the club moves along the shoulders so you would have an out to in path.  Also may result in a steep swing.   You’d probably open your lower body as well. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, Timmytoe said:

And how about the opposite as in having your spine tilted slightly away from the target at setup (so your shirt buttons would be pointing at your rear foot)

I'm trying to do something similar to this swing but I'm not sure whether his spine is tilted or straight up

I know he has forward shaft lean & hip is slightly towards target but I'm wondering if the spine is also tilted at address too

Tilt and rotation are different things.  You also have to consider forward bend.  Most players are tilted away from the target at setup as it help with driver attack angle.  Bryson hits up at about 11* so it would be a pretty good guess he is tilted right as indicated in the  photo below. 

bdc-addr.jpg

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Like @cnosilpointed out, tilt of the spine is totally different from what I thought you were asking about in the original post.  

It is normal to tilt away from the target, at least a minimal amount, simply due to the fact that the lead hand is higher on the grip than the trail hand.  About 5 degrees of tilt is typical.  Without this tilt, one would likely leave their weight on their lead side and probably reverse pivot.  Too much tilt could lead toward losing your shots to the right.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

thanks, is there anyway to know how much tilt you have in your spine without having to watch yourself on a camera, so that you can replicate the exact same amount of tilt each time?

What I do is stand up straight, do the side tilt of my spine away from the target then bend over to address the ball but sometimes I tilt too much

1 hour ago, Timmytoe said:

thanks, is there anyway to know how much tilt you have in your spine without having to watch yourself on a camera, so that you can replicate the exact same amount of tilt each time?

No,  Lots of Practice and mirror/video work so it becomes natural.    How do you know how much shaft lean you have, or ball placement,  knee bend,  wrist bend,  etc.  

when looking at his irons he has forward tilt in his club [this is from 2018 but I don't believe he's changed that, I can't find any more recent front view iron videos] 

zCJFKwx.png

Do you know what's the cause of this? From looking at that picture his wrists are in a straight line so I don't believe he is tilting his wrists to forward press the club 

If you note, it's a wedge in his hand, it's back in his stance, and his head slightly ahead of the ball.  He's not manipulating anything or forcing it...that's just the way the club will align with his body.  

Just curious, but what's your goal here?  Replicate Bryson?

I'd still think he'd forward press no matter what length the iron is  because If you see here on the video in the right [when he still used similar  swing technique for both driver & irons]  he still has almost as much forward press as he did for his iron 

Kjd4gxh.png

40 minutes ago, CarlH said:

If you note, it's a wedge in his hand, it's back in his stance, and his head slightly ahead of the ball.  He's not manipulating anything or forcing it...that's just the way the club will align with his body.  

Just curious, but what's your goal here?  Replicate Bryson?

Trying to do something like that swing yes, plus even if it's a wedge it still would be 37.5" as all his irons are that length

Edited by Timmytoe

If you're trying to emulate Bryson, you might want to google Natural golf and/or single swing plane.  You'll likely find some better answers to your questions.

Go find a pro and take some lessons. All these threads and questions about Bryson and setup can be accomplished much easier by working with a pro and will save lots of time and energy if working thru learning a swing on your own. Bryson’s swing is unique to Bryson based on what’s he’s trying to accomplish. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

58 minutes ago, Timmytoe said:

I'd still think he'd forward press no matter what length the iron is  because If you see here on the video in the right [when he still used similar  swing technique for both driver & irons]  he still has almost as much forward press as he did for his iron 

Setup, ball position, and camera angle all influence what you are seeing in pictures and videos.  Camera position is crucial to seeing swing positions and if it is slightly off, you will see the positions incorrectly.  

as we have said before and in this thread you really are going about this the wrong way.  You need an instructor that will teach you this swing.  Just moving to specific positions how you create swing mismatches.  

Agree with the others here.  Bryson uses a version of a Single Plane Swing.  There are key positions that must be attained at different points in the swing to achieve getting the club on the plane. You can't mix some single plane setup positions with a more standard two-plane setup!! 

I did the single plane swing for several years.  Ball position changes depending on what club you use.  The tilt away from the target is achieved by maintaining a straight line from lead shoulder down arm and club to the ball.  At address, slide lead hip toward target which drops trail shoulder, then bring trail hand to the grip... tilt achieved.  

I suggest looking at the Graves Golf Academy; they teach the Moe Norman golf swing.  Somewhat different than Bryson's swing, but same principles.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

22 hours ago, cnosil said:

It is not  your spine that is rotated it would be you shoulders.  Typically the club moves along the shoulders so you would have an out to in path.  Also may result in a steep swing.   You’d probably open your lower body as well. 

Now I'm wondering if there is a series of stretches I could do that would allow me to rotate my spine and/or sternum independent of my shoulders

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review