Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ballnamic

PBH3

Has anyone tried the Ballnamic (https://ballfitting.com/) online ball fitting tool?  Before dropping $40 on it I was curious what your experience was with it and thoughts on the ball it matched you with.

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

I actually tried it yesterday, figured it costs less than a dozen golf balls so it'd be interesting to see what it came up with.  I was quite surprised by the results, my usual gamer, prov1x came in very poorly for me. So my results were  Srixon Z star XV at 93.8%, TaylorMade TP5X  93.7% and Bridgestone Tour BX 90.9% and  at the bottom prov1x at 82.9%.  The surprise is the Tour BX.  I think a big difference is performance into the wind.  Here in the Tampa Bay area we mostly are playing in a decent breeze and the prov1x has been ballooning some, but hadn't really thought about it.   So I'm going to give the Tour BX a try.  On golfxrx in the ball section discussing the  MGS golf ball test a lot of guys are shocked by how good the Tour BX is playing even for the slower swing guys, cause I'm sure not over 100 with driver.  So I'll report back after a couple of rounds and see if there's any noticeable difference in switching balls.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

• 4 months later...

I did try the Bridgestone Tour BX and it's a good ball no issues with it but I ended up sticking with ProV1.  I just ultimately feel more comfortable with them.  I didn't try the others.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

• 9 months later...

I went through this as part of my fitting at Ping. The way that I answered the questions the first time produced AVX as my number one choice over Z Star I play now. It all seemed off when I saw B RX as option 2 when I know that’s a ball for speeds of less than 105, and it spins more. I ended-up paying the $40 online and went through the fitting again and this time Snell MTB-X and Chrome Soft X came out on-top. In-fact, I used all five fittings and every one of them had Chrome Soft X in the top 2, Z Star was last, which is weird because it fits my game very well. Anyway, I ordered a dozen CSX to try, so we’ll see. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

I went through this as part of my fitting at Ping. The way that I answered the questions the first time produced AVX as my number one choice over Z Star I play now. It all seemed off when I saw B RX as option 2 when I know that’s a ball for speeds of less than 105, and it spins more. I ended-up paying the $40 online and went through the fitting again and this time Snell MTB-X and Chrome Soft X came out on-top. In-fact, I used all five fittings and every one of them had Chrome Soft X in the top 2, Z Star was last, which is weird because it fits my game very well. Anyway, I ordered a dozen CSX to try, so we’ll see. 

I think ballnamic may be slightly biased. Idk. All of mine were chrome soft X or ls. Never a Srixon and it nice in a while Titliest or Bridgestone would show up but never in the #1 spot. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

2 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I think ballnamic may be slightly biased. Idk. All of mine were chrome soft X or ls. Never a Srixon and it nice in a while Titliest or Bridgestone would show up but never in the #1 spot. 

Yeah, seemed kind of odd that the Z Star that did so well in MGS ball testing is said to be only an 81% match for me. It’s as long as any ball I’ve tried, with only the BX showing to go a little further off the tee due to less spin, but I’ve not seen how Z Star could be so lowly ranked and RXS to be better?! Definitely odd.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

35 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Yeah, seemed kind of odd that the Z Star that did so well in MGS ball testing is said to be only an 81% match for me. It’s as long as any ball I’ve tried, with only the BX showing to go a little further off the tee due to less spin, but I’ve not seen how Z Star could be so lowly ranked and RXS to be better?! Definitely odd.

agreed. same for me with the Xv or the Diamond

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Ballnamic, reminded of the Golfball Selector, which did something similar. I thought I set price at mid-point so results are a little off;

In order of ranking, Bridgestone Tour BX, Vice Pro-Plus (my current ball), Callaway Chrome Soft X; Bridgestone Tour XS, and Maxfli Tour X (my backup ball)

I have tried all balls. Price points make Vise and Maxfli better choices. Vise also has the coolest colors. The cool colors enhance the smack talking on the tee.

I’ve tried it and found it to be a good tool to identify some balls that I wouldn’t have maybe considered otherwise.

Swing speed with Driver is 103 MPH and my attack angle with driver is slightly negative so I tend to fight spin.  I have found that the Bridgestone Tour BRX works pretty well for me, like it’s feel and how it checks up around the green.  It has been my gamer for several generations now.

The MaxFli Tour came up as a top match and I have been using that ball along with my previous gamer now.  The Maxfli is about 1/3rd less expensive, gives me a little more carry distance and is slightly firmer than the Bridgestone Tour BRX.  I tend to use the MaxFli Tour more in the summer when temperatures are warmer and the course conditions are softer and the BridgestoneTour BRX when temperatures get cooler. 

I don’t like a large difference in firmness because it changes the sound and feel off of my putter.  I really don’t like a hard ball that produces a loud click.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

I watched the TXG video about Ballnamic and it seemed interesting:

https://youtu.be/DPBGw48pZQ

One random takeaway I had from it was that I didn't know the Wilson Triad ball was an anti offline ball. Ballnamic seemed to confirm that the ball did not, in fact, veer offline as much as other balls which is interesting. It made me curious, if it had decent spin retention and ball speed, if I should be playing that ball. I guess one way to test it would be to TRY to hit slices and hooks with it on a monitor (or in real life) and then compare it to your gamer but I am not as consistent as Matt Blois (from TXG) and certainly not as consistent as a robot. Anyway, hadn't heard much about the Triad prior to this. 

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

• 1 year later...

I tried it a couple years ago and have loved the result.  It recommended Chromesoft X, Tour B X, Pro V1 X, Chromesoft X LS, and Maxfli Tour as my top 5.  I've been playing the Chromesoft X ever since the recommendation after experimenting with several different balls previously (Maxfli Tour, Z-Star, Pro V1, AVX, Cut Blue, TP5 X to name a few).  It has been a great ball for me - longer off the tee than the balls I had previously tried, feels good, spins well around the green and off the irons but without ballooning or having excessive curve ... I also like the feel.  I have no desire to experiment anymore except to maybe try the Tour B X ... According to Ballnamic, it is the best at minimizing curvature, which seems like it could be beneficial to my game.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie