TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sim2 Max driver and looking at change in back weight from 16g to 24g. Effects?

Scotland blue

As stated above I have seen Sim2 Max drivers with both a 16g back weight in some and a 24g back weight in others and the question is why the difference?

Is is a function of trying to reach a specific swing weight for a given shaft and or loft?

What ball flight change would be seen if the 16g back weight is changed out for a 24g weight, assuming all other factors remain the same?

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

The more weight you move away from the face the increase in MOI (forvigness).  You should expect slightly slower swing speed but increase in launch and a spin, with a potential for ball speed increase. Essensially you will see the ball go higher.  Hope that helps.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

Like @twyatt700 said. I am adding 5g to my max ls for that purpose and to see if I can straighten my hook a smidge. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I added 8g of lead tape to the toe of my Sim Max 2. For me it helped two issues:

1) I was playing a slightly shorter shaft than stock, so it got the swing weight back up to D4

2) more toe weight = less snappy hooks

So it was a double win for me. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

2 hours ago, thefullmonte said:

What’s the best way to measure swing weight.  I’ve been given an optimal swing weight from a fitter before…but I don’t know how to measure current equipment to see how it’s comparing to that

There are some online calculators based on the component weights; they seem to be inaccurate.   The best way is a. Swing weight scale.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, thefullmonte said:

What’s the best way to measure swing weight.  I’ve been given an optimal swing weight from a fitter before…but I don’t know how to measure current equipment to see how it’s comparing to that

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

There are some online calculators based on the component weights; they seem to be inaccurate.   The best way is a. Swing weight scale.  

Yep, you can go to any DSC with a golf services and they can check it for you, or any other place that does club repair/fitting. 

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

I emailed Tayormade and got an answer back from them that was/was not  on point.  The email said that the 16g back weight was standard for the Sim2 driver and the 24g back weight was standard for the Sim2 Max driver.  A look at their web page pictures proves this point on the two drivers.  The Sim2 Max driver that I got new and walked out of the store with had a 16g back weight in it ????!!!!!

Maybe someone in the shop was goofing around and changing shafts and heads and back weights for a fitting but who knows.  Anyway a buddy of mine has the Sim2 Max driver also and today I met him at our outdoor driving range and I was able to change out the weights back and forth.  The screw that holds in the back weight requires a T10 wrench but not big deal.  I did notice that the 16g weight I took our of my Sim2 Max had been blue lock tite on it!!!!!!

I changed out the weight to the 24g version and hit a bunch of balls.  They did seem to be a wee bit higher and even spin more but hard to tell.  After a bucket of going back and forth with the weights, I decided to stick with the 16g and feel lucky that it was in the one I bought.

It does make sense that a "MAX" made and marketed head would have the 24g weight for more forgiveness and height.  If you are looking for a wee bit of adjusting on your Sim 2 Max head maybe a 16g weight would be something to check out.  They are readily available on Ebay for $18-20.

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

• 7 months later...

I purchased a Sim 2 Max, with a very light 40gram senior shaft, and it came with a 16gram back weight. I am certain this light shaft has something to do with how much back weight is added. Maybe?? The original poster never addressed which shaftS were in which clubs.