TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron Fitting Recommendations?

Hey all,

Driver, fairway, and putter fittings are all pretty straight forward.  Hit that club, get that club.

Iron fittings are different in that going to a fitter like CC or True Spec, you only get to hit one club out of the entire set of irons.  The other option would be to find a OEM-specific fitter and then you at least get to hit a short, mid, and long iron, but you only that that one OEM's clubs.  

What recommendations do you have for an iron fitting?  Would you go with a national fitter or an OEM fitter?  Or am I missing some other fitting option?

4 minutes ago, mchiller said:

Hey all,

Driver, fairway, and putter fittings are all pretty straight forward.  Hit that club, get that club.

Iron fittings are different in that going to a fitter like CC or True Spec, you only get to hit one club out of the entire set of irons.  The other option would be to find a OEM-specific fitter and then you at least get to hit a short, mid, and long iron, but you only that that one OEM's clubs.  

What recommendations do you have for an iron fitting?  Would you go with a national fitter or an OEM fitter?  Or am I missing some other fitting option?

If your brand bias you’d want to go with an OEM fitter. If your open and don’t have any early presumptions for what you want you’d want to go with a quality fitter that can give you as many options as possible. Going through the process last year myself I was a little disappointed in only using a 7 iron. My fitter was fantastic, if you know that you can hit irons all The way down your bag then theirs no worries. If your someone who plays hybrids better than irons keep that in mind. Fitting is about getting the right equipment for you and what you want out of the game going forward. It’s a smaller sample size too, only so much you can do in 60-90 minutes.

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

14 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

If your brand bias you’d want to go with an OEM fitter. If your open and don’t have any early presumptions for what you want you’d want to go with a quality fitter that can give you as many options as possible. Going through the process last year myself I was a little disappointed in only using a 7 iron. My fitter was fantastic, if you know that you can hit irons all The way down your bag then theirs no worries. If your someone who plays hybrids better than irons keep that in mind. Fitting is about getting the right equipment for you and what you want out of the game going forward. It’s a smaller sample size too, only so much you can do in 60-90 minutes.

I'm not brand bias, but the new Titleist irons sure look beautiful!  I'm also a leftie so that limits my options.  I've done an iron fitting at national fitter previously and it was just OK.  I ended up going back after I tried them for 6 weeks or so and they essentially put tip weights in to bring them back to my old specs.  Never been all that happy with them. My thought now is that I would be better off with a combo set and a OEM fitter is probably the best way to go about doing that since you can hit different clubs.  

3 hours ago, mchiller said:

The other option would be to find a OEM-specific fitter and then you at least get to hit a short, mid, and long iron, but you only that that one OEM's clubs. 

Not correct. You get to hit the iron number they chose for their fitting iron. They will tend to have heads in different lie angles but there won’t be a short, mid and long iron. There’s very few places that will have this for any manufacturer 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

26 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not correct. You get to hit the iron number they chose for their fitting iron. They will tend to have heads in different lie angles but there won’t be a short, mid and long iron. There’s very few places that will have this for any manufacturer 

Dang.  Thanks for the heads up.  Not sure where I heard that.  Maybe just a dream.

I would always go with a national fitter/CC/TrueSpec bc they are making sure you hit ANY and all brands that will best suit your swing. They dont necessarily care which brand they sell you bc if those guys can show you how much better you are hitting a ball with Titleist, or Srixon, or TM etc, then they'll sell the clubs.  In a way, the OEMs need to kinda convince you that their clubs are the best for you without having anything to compare to.  

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

14 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

I would always go with a national fitter/CC/TrueSpec bc they are making sure you hit ANY and all brands that will best suit your swing. They dont necessarily care which brand they sell you bc if those guys can show you how much better you are hitting a ball with Titleist, or Srixon, or TM etc, then they'll sell the clubs.  In a way, the OEMs need to kinda convince you that their clubs are the best for you without having anything to compare to.  

There’s lots of local fitters that are the same way that are as good or better than the national brands. I would rather go to a couple local places in the DC area than any of the National companies

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s lots of local fitters that are the same way that are as good or better than the national brands. I would rather go to a couple local places in the DC area than any of the National companies

sorry, I should have been more clear; Go to unbiased/ Non-OEM/ local/ national fitters. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

22 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

if you know that you can hit irons all The way down your bag then theirs no worries.

I think this is a really great point. I too felt that only hitting a 6i (what True Spec uses) left lots of room for doubt as to whether any particular set of irons would produce similar LM data - were that part of the fitting.  While that would be awesome, it's just impractical. If one generally has no issues making solid strikes through a set, the odds of choosing a set and not being able to hit the other clubs, at least as well as you typically do, is very low.

@mchiller, I would suggest a fitter that offers a large selection of heads and shafts.  I say this having recently done a full bag fitting at True Spec and being very surprised at the differences between the various options.  The one that stands out and those that are train wrecks may surprise you.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I think this is a really great point. I too felt that only hitting a 6i (what True Spec uses) left lots of room for doubt as to whether any particular set of irons would produce similar LM data - were that part of the fitting.  While that would be awesome, it's just impractical. If one generally has no issues making solid strikes through a set, the odds of choosing a set and not being able to hit the other clubs, at least as well as you typically do, is very low.

@mchiller, I would suggest a fitter that offers a large selection of heads and shafts.  I say this having recently done a full bag fitting at True Spec and being very surprised at the differences between the various options.  The one that stands out and those that are train wrecks may surprise you.

There have to be assumption made about the rest of the bag and that’s where a good fitter will help setup the irons with the right shaft, loft, lie and length and communicate to the golfer what to expect. For the golfer knowing what fhe 6 or 7 iron does when struck well and what it does with a mishit they can also determine that the miss with each club will be similar and that as the club gets longer the mishit will be more punishable than the shorter clubs

9 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I recently did a driver fitting at True Spec in Bend, OR. It was a great fitting. I would definitely go back there. Jason knows his stuff and is also a teacher. I went in June and he told me to come back for free as I was working on swing changes. Went back in early August and it was a great experience. 

For some reason though, I was thinking there were fitters where you could hit the short, middle, and long iron. 

8 hours ago, mchiller said:

For some reason though, I was thinking there were fitters where you could hit the short, middle, and long iron. 

The difficulty of that is inventory.  You would have to have the heads and shafts for all those clubs.  Most places use just the 6 iron as it is kind of a breaking point between mid and long irons and most people can reasonably hit them. Swinging this club gives the fitter the information on how you load and unload the shaft which is then applied across the set and helps shaft what the set will look like.  The second part of a fitting would be going back for a gapping session to adjust the lofts to get consistent gapping; this is the aspect of fitting most people don’t do.  If you are swinging multiple clubs,  the fitter might have a complete set of irons that are being used but that would be rare.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG