TESTERS WANTED! ×

Specialty (or limited use) Clubs

There are a lot of specialty clubs out there or clubs that don't get used all that often.  For example, some people carry a 60* or lob wedge, but only use it from bunkers.  Personally, I have a 3U and a 3W that get used once or twice a round tops.  They are nice to have, but don't get pulled all that often.  

My question is how many times do you use your specialty clubs?  Alternatively, how many times per round do you (personally) need to use a club to justify its place in the bag?  

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

I don’t consider any of my clubs “specialty” clubs.  While they may not get used every round there is always a chance it will get pulled.  My 3w probably would be closest as it is primarily used off the tee on holes where I simply can’t use driver.  I don’t use it off the fairway that often due to the occasional struggle to hit it successfully.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have a Cleveland Smart Sole sand wedge I no longer use because that was the epitome of a specialty club - it was only good for sand shots, and that was it. It was worthless off of turf. I swapped it out with an older 58* that I can use for sand shots, chips, short pitches, etc.

Like @cnosil my 3w (technically a 4w since it's lofted up) is a tee only club for me like driver, so I guess that's somewhat of a specialty club.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've toyed with the idea of finding a decent 6i or 7i to bag as a AZ desert-scape, escape club.  But the groups I play with on the couple of courses that hitting out of the rocky areas is likely, have chosen to make their rule "lateral drop, one shot penalty". Most of the areas along fairways at Las Barancas GC are desert-scape but not staked and that is in fact the local rule.  However, some of the lies tantalize and, with a better than average round going or a "Wolf game" dime on the line, having a beater club to save the stroke would be nice.

Personally, I like and like maintain my clubs is great condition.  As such, I simply won't trash clubs to save a stroke and, since I rarely play tournaments it's all good.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I think a 3W that you only hit off the tee is definitely a specialty club.  How many situations do you face per round where you hit it rather than driver?  Alternatively, if it is most of the holes.... is the driver becoming a specialty club?  

23 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

I think a 3W that you only hit off the tee is definitely a specialty club.  How many situations do you face per round where you hit it rather than driver?  Alternatively, if it is most of the holes.... is the driver becoming a specialty club?  

as I said it depends on the course.  some courses zero times,  others 3 or 4.   I do attempt to hit it off the turf but am not always successful so I only play it when I have a fairly open second shot on a par 5.   I don't consider it a specialty club because it has multiple purposes..

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Excellent question.  You could argue that Driver and Putter are 'speciality' clubs.  The Driver almost exclusively for hitting the ball off the tee and putter for rolling it along the ground.

I don't have any clubs that I would consider speciality clubs (and I don't currently carry a Driver).  It's not unknown for me to not need to use certain clubs on a round, but the next time, on the same course, I may use them several times.

On 9/2/2021 at 2:06 PM, Jonny_Crash said:

There are a lot of specialty clubs out there or clubs that don't get used all that often.  For example, some people carry a 60* or lob wedge, but only use it from bunkers.  Personally, I have a 3U and a 3W that get used once or twice a round tops.  They are nice to have, but don't get pulled all that often.  

My question is how many times do you use your specialty clubs?  Alternatively, how many times per round do you (personally) need to use a club to justify its place in the bag?  

I am a HUGE proponent of specialty, one trick pony clubs, but I don't have a short winded explanation why.

I would have to go through the entire bag, so I won't be offended if you just skip this lengthy, wordy post.

The three most important clubs in my bag are driving iron, lob wedge, and putter.  

Two of them are "specialty" clubs that I didn't have when I learned the game.

I hit driver on only three wide open holes at my club.

When you're super conservative off the tee, you leave yourself longer approach shots.

Thus, I absolutely can't afford to miss fairways when I'm trying to put driving iron into play.

My Japanese driving iron is one of the most important and expensive clubs in my bag.

As conservative as I am off the tee, I'm that recklessly bold hitting into greens.  Consequently, I short side myself an awful lot.

The ultra low bounce lob wedge, in conjunction with a high spin, minimal roll out ball, thus become super important as well.

[As an aside, the high spin, high trajectory ball also helps with the hard to elevate driving iron.]

Speaking of wedges, my middle wedge is perimeter weighted like a numbered iron.  It's really forgiving on full shots, but too bouncy for finesse shots which makes the lob wedge important as well.

Speaking also of specialty clubs, however, the middle wedge is OK but not great in the sand.  Were it not for the fourteen club rule, I would bag a "specialty" wedge designed primarily as a sand iron.  I like those clubs a lot, being a sketchy sand player, but the rules don't let you use that fifteenth slot in your cart bag.

I mentioned putter as a third critical club.  Some total idiot decided that the cup should only be four inches wide.  Thus the much despised putter is crital to everyone.

If I'm mediocre with my Zebra, you should se me try to putt with a toe hang club.

Anyway, back to the original question, I'm all in on specialty clubs.  For me, it's more important to have every TYPE of club that I want

than it is to have regular gaps in loft.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I had three rounds in a row earlier this year where I found myself up against a tree or other obstruction and couldn't get a club on the ball unless I was left handed.  During those rounds I turned an 9 iron upside down and hit out left handed, then one of the course I was at was having a fund raising golf club sale of used clubs.  So, I bought a left handed 7 iron!  I've actually used it twice now this year.  Swinging left handed feels so weird and takes some practice.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver, Ping G410 irons, worn out ball retriever.

I bag a 2 iron every now and then. It gets pulled out once a round for laughs, but also occasionally to putt from the fringe and to get out from under trees.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I carry an old Cleveland Rusty 48* wedge with steel shaft. This is my go for pitching and chipping. For some reason it has the perfect balance and I am deadly accurate with it.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Depends how you define specialty club.  A 60 degree might be "specialty" to one person where as it is a useful club for others.   I see a lot saying 3W and for me, it is the most useful club in my bag, I use it ~5-10 times a round. Granted, its rare off the fairway but that has more to do with I'm rarely 240+ out and able to go for the green.  If you gap properly, and are able to hit the clubs as they should be hit, there probably should not be a need for any specialty clubs in a bag. 

As for the second part, how often does a club need to be used to earn a spot in my bag.  For me, the answer is 0. It's there for a distance reason.  I'm not rich/good enough to have extra clubs to swap out based on course/weather. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

Certainly one man's go to can be another's specialty...  

some people love their lob (58* or 60*) and use it all the time, others use it just for sand shots.  I suppose a sand only club is a bit of a specialty club.  

My 3W is my odd club right now.  I can hit driver a ways, but with next to no accuracy.  So it only comes out on holes with wide landing areas.  My 3W goes about 30-40 yards less, but really isn't all that more accurate.  So why lose the yardage without any noticeable gain.  My 3U is about 50 yards less than the Dr (10-20 less than 3W), but it finds the fairway a lot more often.  

Logic dictates that when it's too tight for my driver... I should hit the 3U and not the 3W.  So the 3W only really is useful to me when the driver will carry into junk, but the 3W won't.  (obviously the fix is to take a lesson and straighten things out).  However, for now the 3W is specialty for me.