Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What is your winter plan?

• SPY VIP

I am putting together a new article about what golfers do during the winter and I would love to get some input from the other MGS readers.

Some of you out there are well into golf hibernation, where your clubs will not see action for a few months. The lucky ones may live in areas where the golf "season" is year round. not seasonal.

(Here is what I have to survive this week...)

weather.jpg

:)

Anyway...

I am interested in hearing what you do in three main areas: Lessons, Fitness, and Golf Play/Practice

LESSONS

Do you take lessons during the winter?

Are you taking lessons indoors or outdoors?

Are you planning on or have you ever taken a vacation to a golf school in a warm local?

What was your overall conclusion about the effectiveness of the lesson(s)?

For those taking indoor lessons, do you see what you learned indoor transitioning to the course when you get out to play?

FITNESS

Do you have a different diet that you stick to over winter?

Do you go to the gym?

Do you have a golf specific exercise program?

Have you worked with a trainer? How about a trainer who specializes in golf fitness?

Do you participate in indoor sports over winter?

Do you have a home workout program?

What do you find are the greatest helps and hinderances toward maintaining your golf fitness through the winter?

GOLF PLAY/PRACTICE

Are you able to play golf during the winter months?

If so, does your play frequency change during the winter months?

If so, what are your tricks for enjoying winter golf (equipment and otherwise)?

Do you go to the range in the winter? Indoor (dome) or outdoor?

Do you practice at home? Full swing? Putting? What do you have at home that makes this possible?

Do you use any specific training aids? Which ones are effective or non-effective?

The more information that you can provide, the more tools your fellow readers of MGS will have at their disposal to stay golf ready this winter.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

As a golfer in NY, I can defiantly sympathize with that weather. Luckily for me, however, I signed up for the GolfTec lesson/practice program so I can keep up the game throughout the winter. In regards to fitness, after being forced to take last summer off to recover from a torn labrum (due to golf) I decided to follow up on my pt by working out with a trainer over the winter. Even though D-force (the trainer) is not golf specific, his intense full body conditioning has translated into a much better feel in my swing, where I can go hard at the ball w/o feeling like I am over swinging in the least.

I've also been known to tear up carpets (and ceilings on occasion) when I swing indoors at home. (Still, this hasn't stopped me) and will putt on the same carpet usually aiming at another ball. I don't use or need anything fancy, and as the carpet rolls incredibly slow, it's mainly just a tool to groove my stroke.

Best of Luck Dave, and I hope this helps.

I plan on taking some more lessons over the winter, indoors (I'm in Chicago).

I have never taken a golf vacation to a golf school and probably wouldn't.

I have been taking lessons for a little over a year, and YES! the improvement is noticeable on the course.

I don't have a different diet in the winter vs. summer, but I do plan on getting into better shape over the next couple of months.

I don't go to a gym, I work out in my home.

My fitness program is not golf specific, though I do work on things that are golf-related (balance, rotation, flexibility)

I have never worked with a trainer. I'd like to, but I don't see myself spending the money for it.

I play racquetball once a week.

I can hit balls indoors at work, but I can't play during the winter.

I like to spend the winter working on my swing so I can hit the ground running, hopefully with a better swing, when the weather gets warm.

I do practice some putting at home, sometimes in my living room sometimes on a putting mat.

My favorite putting trainer is The Can't Miss. I also have a Boomerang, but I don't use it as much.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I am in winter mode and will be spending some time here: http://golfdomemississauga.com/ I will be taking some lessons there with someone who works for these people http://www.coregolfacademy.com/ as my old swing coach who also works for Core (Annie Mallory)

is now on the LPGA Tour coaching some people and Annie knows my weakness and my strengths and recommended someone who will work well with me.

I have a gym where I live and will still be working on my messed up shoulder and hoping for a big year in 2012. No golf vacations as I am very busy around the house taking care of my Mom so that is out.

I usually put my clubs away for 5 months (November - March) because Chicago winters can be just downright ridiculous. The only time I have ever done any winter conditioning was when I was in college (and was 100 lbs lighter) but boy did it help! I can remember being in incredible shape and came out in spring golf hitting it pure. This winter I just recently joined an "indoor golf league" where you play on a simulator. The place is really cool http://indoorgolflinks.net/ and after three weeks we've had a ball. I don't always trust the simulator numbers, but you can tell if you're hitting the golf ball solid which is my main goal. Putting is just stupid, but thank god they play 8 foot gimmies. I think my scoring average is 74 and putting average is 40 :angry: Oh well it's a good time and is going to keep a club in my hand once a week until April. As for fitness, I'm planning on getting back in shape, but it is nothing golf related- just health related. I think that people who try to do "golf specific" exercises and are not competitive golfers (amateur tournaments, college, pro, etc) are an absolute joke. Your flexibility or core strength is not the reason why you suck. Take lessons.

Because it is so cold up north, we don't live there. My wife will not play golf if the weather is below 70. However, I play unless it is raining and cold. My "Winter Plans for Golf" is to put the cover on the cart and dress in layers. Seriously, it rarely is too cold here, but the wind is often makes it so. Yesterday, it was Sunny and 45 but with a 20 mph wind it felt colder. Still, at 9 am yesterday I teed off with my foresome, usually a lot more but with the holidays and all. With the invention of wind jackets and pants it is not bad at all playing here. But it is now 48 and no wind and I have just finished my project so, I am going out right now.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• SPY VIP

Anyone else have anything to share about your winter golf program?

HAVOC's avatar may be causing some of you to have difficulty focusing on the topic :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I live in the same town as GolfSpy Dave and the 46° temp must be at night?

I golf all year, but just try to do it during the mid day when it's really cold.

I should do some core strengthening exercises since this has been the "year of the back pain"... we'll see.

Technical junk:

For full swings I'm mostly concerned with striking pattern - trying to hit the sweet spot. My miss is towards the toe.

My middle irons tend to draw too much, so I'll work on that a lot. I'll work on short game shots for 100 yards and in with my wedges.

Fun Stuff:

I'm right in the middle of having some new Scratch Irons built, so I'm really taking my time to gather specs, and aesthetic wants. I have some demo irons they sent and it's pretty amazing at the range of feels you can get from various grinds and shafts. Some move right through the turf and come out while others want to dig etc. It's just getting harder to find a grass range.

I spy with my little eye something...

I could use some lessons for myself. But at my wife's request, I'll most likely end up buying some lessons for my 5-year old daughter to see if she'll actually like the game of golf.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a major change of "winter" golf plans. I am having back surgery hopefully for Christmas. And maybe in a few months learn to play again. I had planned on lowering my handicap to 3 or so but now I get the winter off. This can be hell here in Texas where it is not unusual to have a 70 degree sunny day Christmas week. I now apologize for rubbing it in that I could play golf year round. Friends played today sunny and 60 and I laid in bed counting bumps on the ceiling. 23,473.

I do hope to be able to go to the club and drink a beer this weekend. That counts as golf plans.

Archived