TESTERS WANTED! ×

Carrying two putters

I don't see pros doing this, personally.  And, I certainly don't see them giving up a wedge.  Although, I must admit, I don't have strong reasons to support my opinion.

However, we do have one eccentric goose at our club, who, at one time was on the PGA Tour (circa 1970s) (who, at one time and may still holds the record for lowest score at Q-School), that uses 2 putters.  Both have bullseye heads on them.  One is a standard length putter and one is a long putter.  He putts from both the left and right side with both putters depending on which way the break lies.  I'm not sure how he determines which putter he'll use.  He carries both putters to the green and makes his decision after assessing his lie.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Why not carry 2 (or more) putters if it works for you?  One for delicate short putts, one for longer putts or off the fringe.

I only carry one and don't feel the need for a second.  But one of my regular playing pals could possibly benefit from carrying two, he loves his lightweight putter, but struggles on longer putts with it, and he has space in his bag for an extra one.

No way. I can barely manage one of the damn things 😆.  I honestly don't see the advantage of doing so.  Switching out putters absolutely but bagging two, not so much.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Much like wives....

Having 2 putters is about 5 too many!!

🤣  😱

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

20 hours ago, Canada golfer said:

Since it is by far the most frequently used club in the bag, I’ve often wondered why more pros don’t do this. If you’re not getting the feel with one, you switch. Surely some little used club could be sacrificed for this, perhaps one of three wedges many pros carry. Thoughts?

Hmm. I do not see the advantage in any manner….

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Hmm. I do not see the advantage in any manner….

Fair enough...  and for most of us that is probably true.

But having two putters with different characteristics is not radically different to carrying two wedges with different bounces.  They are similar, but different clubs for different circumstances.

I used to putt right handed and so frustrated at it that I started to two sided bullseyes and was starting to putt lefty and occasion righty. Then I got so comfortable with lefty that I just putted lefty and began buying other styles of lefty putters. 
The only style putter that I prefer playing righty is and anser Ping.  For some odd reason the plumbers neck looks weird when I putt lefty but fits my eye putting righty    
I prefer to see the “whole putter” when I putt

I used to carry two putters every now and then. If I am playing on a course that had huge greens I find that I am my long distance control is better with a mallet head.

However over time the more I got used to the Mallet the better my short putts became and now that is all I carry.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001