Overhanging ball- Solheim cup match

LICC

Agreed. At first I didn't know what was going on. Looked like the players didn't either. But it was the right call.

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

... Yup, Sagstrom walked in quickly from off the green to pick the ball up. Stacy Lewis said they went over this rule with both teams and if the ball is near the edge of the hole DO NOT touch it.  

• Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Not sure why the Solheim Cup always seems to have some type of controversy that always away from the amazing golf the ladies are playing. Was the ball on the edge, hard for me to tell from the camera angle, was it picked-up too soon, yep. Have to agree with the ruling by the way the rules was written. 

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Rules are what the rules are.  Give them back the point and we still lose big.  Team USA got steam rolled in the portion of the event they have historically been the strongest. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Two wrongs don’t make a right!!!

The ball had absolutely no chance of going in but the overzealous rules official decided to intervene anyway. But Sagstrom should never have picked the ball up either. 

Just another shining example of how golf tends to get in its own way sometimes. 

55 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The ball had absolutely no chance of going in but the overzealous rules official decided to intervene anyway. But Sagstrom should never have picked the ball up either. 

The rules official got photo evidence from the main officials. Also it was a rule that was discussed with both teams before play. The only person at fault is Sagstrom. 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

34 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The rules official got photo evidence from the main officials. Also it was a rule that was discussed with both teams before play. The only person at fault is Sagstrom. 

I couldn’t care less what was agreed upon, common sense should always prevail. In this case, it didn’t. That ball had absolutely no chance of going in!

43 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I couldn’t care less what was agreed upon, common sense should always prevail. In this case, it didn’t. That ball had absolutely no chance of going in!

Unfortunately the rule isn't about whether the ball has a chance to go in or not;  the rule states If "any" part of your ball overhangs the lip of the hole then the ball is overhanging the hole.  Unfortunately, this came down to looking at a camera angle and making a judgement.   Unless you have a top down view some angles will show overhang and others won't.   

The role of the referee is also important:  When Assigned to One Match for Entire Round. As the referee is with the match throughout the round, he or she is responsible for acting on any breach of the Rules that he or she sees or is told about (see Rule 20.1b(1) and the definition of “referee ”).

Based on this the referee can take action because she saw what she considered to be a rules infraction.    they referee then contacted and asked for confirmation which was provided.   

As a referee I probably wouldn't have said anything and would have waited for the players to initiate a review.    

Looking at all the things:  referee shouldn't have interjected, Sagstrom shouldn't have picked up the ball, and video review would not be conclusive to determine if "any" part of the ball was overhanging.     I don't agree with the decision,  but based on the scenario it was the only call that could have been made.    

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Of course you don’t. You just wanted to complain and bring up a controversy that isn’t there.

Rules are rules. The refs have to act in that per the rules and she did. Also asked for confirmation. The players knew the rules and unfortunately sagstrom made a bad judgement call.

It’s pretty simple. Sagstrom broke a rule and got penalized for it

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

26 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Of course you don’t. You just wanted to complain and bring up a controversy that isn’t there.

Rules are rules. The refs have to act in that per the rules and she did. Also asked for confirmation. The players knew the rules and unfortunately sagstrom made a bad judgement call.

It’s pretty simple. Sagstrom broke a rule and got penalized for it

It was a “rule” in search of a problem. And I’m not the only one complaining about it. Seems your doing your fair share, especially when anyone has an opinion that dares to differ from yours!

12 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It was a “rule” in search of a problem. And I’m not the only one complaining about it. Seems your doing your fair share, especially when anyone has an opinion that dares to differ from yours!

I disagree, the rule has a very specific purpose, and as @chisag says, it is the officials duty to act on a breach that he sees.  Perhaps the ball wouldn't have fallen, but the rule draws a very specific line for a ball overhanging the hole.  I don't know that there's a better way to write this rule and have it remain enforceable.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

Reading comprehension must be an issue today. Sagstrom was wrong for picking the ball up, as I stated in my original post (linked). That doesn’t change my opinion that common sense should outweigh a rule that was probably enforced where nobody needed it to be. 

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. The better team won regardless. 

Im done! Probably for a good long while. 

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Sagstrom was wrong for picking the ball up, as I stated in my original post (linked). That doesn’t change my opinion that common sense should outweigh a rule that was probably enforced where nobody needed it to be. 

... To be fair, they instituted a rule specifically for the Solheim Cup that stated clearly if any part of the ball is over the hole do not pick it up or the stroke will count as holed.   So you can be upset with the rule, but not the officials as they had no choice but to enforce it. The irony is I imagine it was instituted to avoid any controversy. 😳

• Like 5

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

As per the rules Nelly Korda had 10 seconds once she got to the hole but unless there was a seismic event that ball was never going to fall in the hole,  so she wasn't claiming the hole.

The rules official either was outside prompted or of her own accord got involved to give Korda a 3 to win the hole. 

If anyone on here says they wouldn't be furious if they conceded a putt in similar circumstances and your opponent then claimed the hole is lying.

Hagstrom to her credit and the credit of her Captain seem to handle it well, admitted it was a rule breech parked it and moved on. It seemed to fester more with Nelly Korda because she was stinking in the foursomes on Sunday morning. So bad that she was dropped for the fourballs in the afternoon.

If we were sitting here on Monday and the US had won 14.5 to 13.5 then I'm pretty sure there would be more outrage from Europe supporters about the incident and a real sour taste in my mouth.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I agree with the ruling....but also...what was the big rush to pick it up?  Concede the putt, but there really is no need to pick up anyone else's ball or marker.  That kinda bugs me.

image.png.abb9657a94ef38fba2ae66329ccdcd3a.png    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g R

:tour-edge:   EXS 3 wood 15 degree Tensei Blue R

:tour-edge:   EXS 5 wood 18 degree  Tensei Blue R

:tour-edge:   EXS 7 wood 21 degree  Tensei Blue R

image.png.5638179774e5abb2a6414754198e7124.png    699 5-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

image.png.c7aa9cf044e4588f8df86325313f23aa.png    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

image.png.0c814df7a41156807d09d0f71918f7b8.png   56 60 wedges

image.png.5b38cd69def323ffded9c1cfa9a0b829.png    TAll Wide Blade putter

image.png.44476ec8528655987e70ef0c07f9c647.png NX9 Slope

image.png.06e551b892c03e51345ba2a31fadf4a3.png Pro

42 minutes ago, EEZurg said:

I agree with the ruling....but also...what was the big rush to pick it up?  Concede the putt, but there really is no need to pick up anyone else's ball or marker.  That kinda bugs me.

That was her way of conceding the putt and being nice by giving it to Korda so she didn’t have to come to the hole. 

• Like 1