Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PXG full bag fitting

Chris1

Okay so just getting back into golf after about 4 years off. I hit the ball pretty good and would say on avg I’m putting for par or bogey. Now because I suck at putting my avg score is high 90’s low 100’s. I’m currently just playing some ping i3 resale irons and the new ping driver and spider putter. I already signed up for a putter fitting with club champion. But just signed up for a full bag sitting with PXG after learning they’ve lowered the price is a little bit.  I’ll be getting it done at the Chicago store. I guess one of my questions is will they give you all the info on what to order online later if I do not buy that day? My putter fitting is a week after that and I still want to try to hit the ping g425 irons although by everything I’ve heard the PXG‘s are going to be superior feeling. 

They should give you all the specs from the fitting. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

They will give you the specs, but will request that if you are going to order, you do it through your fitter. You can do it with a phone call after you decide what to do at a later time, but the fitter doesn't get his commission if you just order online yourself. Doesn't change your cost either way, but if he does a good job, it would be kind of a jerk move to not get him his commission. My pxg fitter was awesome, so I called him when my decision was final and let him do the ordering. 

Actually there’s a $5 dollar/club savings by calling into the pxg number which actually helps knock off some of the shipping costs, but I agree ordering thru the fitter is the way to go for him/her doing the fitting 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

So my fitting is next week and I am getting excited about it, but...  Am I doing myself a disservice by only going to PXG for a fitting vs going to say Club Champion or just a local golf shop to get fitted and hit multiple brands?  Cost aside because I don't mind spending money. 

2 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

So my fitting is next week and I am getting excited about it, but...  Am I doing myself a disservice by only going to PXG for a fitting vs going to say Club Champion or just a local golf shop to get fitted and hit multiple brands?  Cost aside because I don't mind spending money. 

If you are interested in pxg then no you aren’t. In this fitting you will be comparing current clubs vs pxg and determine if pxg has a model that improves on what you have and is worth the money to buy them for that improvement. Nothing wrong in that approach. Really no different than someone choosing to go do a fitting at a titleist Thursday and only get fit for titleist clubs.

If you are interested in other brands along with pxg or think that you will have questions afterwards about wondering if another brand has something the looks, feels, sounds better or has better results then yeah you might be because if you end up buying pxg you run tells risk of doubting your decision and that’s never good for ones game

If you are basing the doubt off negative comments about pxg the brand, their owner you are already ruining your experience. Same with if you are basing it off comments about the clubs themselves when the vast majority of negative comments about the clubs or even the brand are from golfers who never even hit a pxg club.

I have tested Gen1 0311 irons. I was fit for and played Gen 2 0311 and own Gen 3 0311. They are good clubs. I haven’t hit gen4 but from what I have gathered they are the best so far.

The woods have gotten better every release and the 0211, gen3 and proto drivers are the best they put out. The putters are underrated

3 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

Going with a bag full of PXG is not going to hold you back. I would recommend going to a golf shop and maybe having them run you through some clubs so you can get a feel for what's out there. This won't be a full fitting but trying a few heads and various shafts from other manufacturers other than PXG should help broaden your horizon's a bit. You will likely find something that fits you well from PXG but you might find a club from a different manufacturer more inspiring. Nothing wrong to mix and match brands in the bag but it will add another stop or two to your club shopping experience if you are concerned about time. If time and money aren't a concern, you can get a full bag fitting at a Club Champion (or similar) and PXG. Then pick what you like best from the two. It's really up to you and I don't think you are going to go wrong either way as long as you're getting fitted. 

I'd go get the PXG fitting and if you aren't totally sold on the clubs, then consider Club Champion or True Spec, some fitters like that to try other brands.  I would steer away from big box store fittings.  I've had PXG irons and they are really good, probably should have kept them.  Still gaming a PXG Operator H putter I was fit for a couple years ago.    

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Since you're getting fitted in the store, you can ask about having the clubs shipped to the store as well.  When I bought my driver there last spring, I was able to save the $30 (at that time) shipping fee by having them sent to the store.  Not sure if they still offer that, but since the shipping fees have gotten even crazier since then it's probably worth asking.