TESTERS WANTED! ×

$50 increase on PING equipment coming on 9/7

Grand Stranded

Applies to the 425 line, and wait for it… the 410 line also.

I can’t remember an OEM ever raising the prices on a current release, much less an old one before this.

Not a good look for PING, but I’m wondering if they’re the outlier here or simply the first to do this. We all know what’s going on with supply chains and material shortages, so who knows?

I’m guessing we’re in for a case of sticker shock with the ‘22 release cycles.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

I can’t remember an OEM ever raising the prices on a current release, much less an old one before this.

Not a good look for PING, but I’m wondering if they’re the outlier here or simply the first to do this. We all know what’s going on with supply chains and material shortages, so who knows?

Interesting decision and I'm surprised they would opt to raise prices on current production.  I think you are correct about 2022 sticker shock but, interestingly, PXG is having sales on their product.  Perhaps PING's supply chain team made some bad strategic moves and/or experienced some especially bad luck from the pandemic?  

Where did you see or hear about this?  My quick search is not finding anything.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, goaliedad30 said:

My son is still waiting on his 425 irons ordered in June. I'll be pissed if they try to charge more when they're delivered through our pro shop!

No, your son will pay the same price. The retailers though, will take the $50 hit on every sale they placed that is still back ordered. The consumer pays the increased price starting tomorrow from what I’ve heard.

Edited by Grand Stranded

50 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yep.  Let’s Jack the prices up even more.  

ProV1’s will be $70 a box this time next year. 

I’m not only stocking up on balls, I’ve bought a bag I really wouldn’t need for another year, and picked up two back up wedges and a putter this week, using up all the gift cards I have.

The good news for guys like us with the expected price hikes though is if we have any old clubs lying around, the used market will be even better next year than it was this year.

Prices have increased on a bunch of products. Materials are costing more and golf equipment including current models aren’t exempt.

I never ceased to be amazed that people treat or think about golf equipment differently than other consumer products. 

We always see options (aka new releases every year, mid cycle releases) in golf bad but not for other consumer products. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The point is. The cost of these products go up, along with the cost of living, but the money they average folks are making (aside from $20 at BK) hasn’t really followed suit.

Jacking the prices up just to Jack them up to make up for lost revenue is crap. Which from my view and opinion is what is going on here. But I really don’t see why, wasn’t 2020 one of the biggest sales years ever?

let’s just force more people out of the game.

11 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Actually Wilson Staff did this earlier in the season.  It didn’t get as much publicity as well it’s market share is no where near PINGS. 

As for balls. I said this earlier in a different thread.  I don’t want to create a panic hoarding type thing.  But I guess this will.   Start stocking up for your 2022 needs now.  Have been told by multiple OEM.  Balls will be a very long time frame for delivery to most shops next year.   So if shops don’t take that advice and order this fall but wait for the spring they could have bare shelves. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

The point is. The cost of these products go up, along with the cost of living, but the money they average folks are making (aside from $20 at BK) hasn’t really followed suit.

Jacking the prices up just to Jack them up to make up for lost revenue is crap. Which from my view and opinion is what is going on here. But I really don’t see why, wasn’t 2020 one of the biggest sales years ever?

let’s just force more people out of the game.

They aren’t jacking them to recover lost revenue it’s costing them more to make new clubs because the materials to make the components has gone up as well as the cost to get the components from the factory to the assembler and the shipping coat to get them to the consumer or pro shop. They are passing the cost onto the consumer. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Unless you've been living under a rock for the last year prices are going up on EVERYTHING! Too much money chasing too few goods, fueled by raw material & labor shortages coupled with too much reliance on overseas manufacturing. It's going to be a long course correction and many manufacturers who have been selling discounted goods for so long are going to use the pandemic as an opportunity to create new higher price floors for their products. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

9 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

No, your son will pay the same price. The retailers though, will take the $50 hit on every sale they placed that is still back ordered. The consumer pays the increased price starting tomorrow from what I’ve heard.

The shop isn’t taking a hit either. They were ordered and I’m assuming paid for or at least a deposit made for the current price. 

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The shop isn’t taking a hit either. They were ordered and I’m assuming paid for or at least a deposit made for the current price. 

That’s not what I was told, but… 🤷‍♂️

As far as I know retailers don’t get invoiced on a product until it ships?

Edited by Grand Stranded

We had TWO vendors raise our prices on raw materials halfway through negotiated contracts at work. As a result we had to change pricing on a few models. And we manufacture in the USA, so we're not even taking into consideration the massive fees now associated with shipping containers. Check this tweet from Barbajo last week:

Prices are skyrocketing everywhere. Do we want OEMs to lose money and potentially cut back on products, staff or potentially go under? It's not feasible. Don't like the company's policy of protecting their interests? Buy something else. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

14 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Alan, I said this on Facebook in a post about golf green fees.   

You can't make up for lost revenue.  You can try to maximize current revenue by making sure your product is priced correctly based on it's place in the market, your market share, current economic conditions and competitive set.   I say this having spent a good portion of my career in Revenue Management for both hospitality and golf industries. 

It really isn't just jacking them up because they feel like it or are taking advantage of COVID.  I really hate that analogy when people use it.   Its not nearly the same thing as if a hotel were to all of a sudden jack it's rate up by $50 a night during a hurricane or blizzard  because people are stranded. That is price gouging, and it's illegal in most states.

These companies have been faced with real and actual costs.   Many companies have gone to private and expedited shipping methods in order to try and get the product from overseas to the US quicker in order to fill the backorders.    The cost of gas/oil and other aspects that are affecting the country as a whole are no different to the golf companies.   if they have increased costs, it's only expected that they would have to pass them on, especially for a product that has such small margins to begin with. 

Just my thoughts on it.  I understand we all get emotional about golf because it's our hobby, and we are passionate about it.   But we have to realize it is also a business to all these companies as well.  

Bingo.

Price of metals have gone up.  Price of rubber has gone up.  Cost of shipping, especially overseas as gone WAY up.  

These are real costs of doing business, and unfortunately businesses have margins to maintain and often pass price/cost increases to the end user.  

It sucks, but it's unfortunately how business/capitalism work

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Alan, I said this on Facebook in a post about golf green fees.   

You can't make up for lost revenue.  You can try to maximize current revenue by making sure your product is priced correctly based on it's place in the market, your market share, current economic conditions and competitive set.   I say this having spent a good portion of my career in Revenue Management for both hospitality and golf industries. 

It really isn't just jacking them up because they feel like it or are taking advantage of COVID.  I really hate that analogy when people use it.   Its not nearly the same thing as if a hotel were to all of a sudden jack it's rate up by $50 a night during a hurricane or blizzard  because people are stranded. That is price gouging, and it's illegal in most states.

These companies have been faced with real and actual costs.   Many companies have gone to private and expedited shipping methods in order to try and get the product from overseas to the US quicker in order to fill the backorders.    The cost of gas/oil and other aspects that are affecting the country as a whole are no different to the golf companies.   if they have increased costs, it's only expected that they would have to pass them on, especially for a product that has such small margins to begin with. 

Just my thoughts on it.  I understand we all get emotional about golf because it's our hobby, and we are passionate about it.   But we have to realize it is also a business to all these companies as well.  

I understand.  You are in the business, you se it first hand.

I still think it is a crock.  I can see the cost going up a little bit.  But there is no way that it costs an extra $50 in materials per driver.

Gas prices here have been the same for my 2 years…

Just bringing up some things, not trying to be a donkey’s hind end. 

Ive seen the same thing in my line of work… 

20 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I understand.  You are in the business, you se it first hand.

I still think it is a crock.  I can see the cost going up a little bit.  But there is no way that it costs an extra $50 in materials per driver.

Gas prices here have been the same for my 2 years…

Just bringing up some things, not trying to be a donkey’s hind end. 

Ive seen the same thing in my line of work… 

Shipping expenditures in July 2021 were 43% higher than they were in July 2020.  That is ocean, air and over the road. 

It's not just the material costs themselves - it is the entire supply chain

Just now, jlukes said:

Shipping expenditures in July 2021 were 43% higher than they were in July 2020.  That is ocean, air and over the road. 

It's not just the material costs themselves - it is the entire supply chain

Yeah, I’ll just shut up now.  I was a business major many moons ago… I get the workings of all this crap. 

All it is doing is forcing out the working man.  Yeah. Go buy used clubs whatever, but everyone likes new equipment.

When are the other brands going to hike up prices on equipment (besides Wilson)?

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

Yeah, I’ll just shut up now.  I was a business major many moons ago… I get the workings of all this crap. 

All it is doing is forcing out the working man.  Yeah. Go buy used clubs whatever, but everyone likes new equipment.

When are the other brands going to hike up prices on equipment (besides Wilson)?

They have. I59 are $250/club. Titleist irons are higher this release. Srixons irons costs more with the zx release.

I525 will cost more than i210s and i500s did when they come out in the spring/summer.

Expect new drivers, fw and hybrids to cost more 

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

That argument has been used for decades every time a new course opens that's pricey, or a driver comes out that's $50 more expensive than the rest of the pack. 

There are real, legitimate reasons that've all been noted above that are causing the price increases in golf... and in cars... and in computers... and in <insert item here>. That's life right now. If someone truly wants to get into golf, they'll find a way. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

32 minutes ago, Shankster said:

https://mygolfspy.com/the-increasing-costs-of-drivers/

Some good stuff in that article.  Also PINGS is just catching up now to the other big OEMs that had already increased their price over the last few years.

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Time for me to find a new hobby.

Cmon man - you know how the game works.  You of all people are not one to buy equipment when it is brand new just because you want new equipment.  

And most of the "averages Joes" are in the same boat - they aren't out there buying new equipment when it comes out just for the sake of buying it.

I mean think about it - if you are doing things the right way and getting fit into equipment - you should really only considering buying a new driver once ever 3-5 years.  

So is $50 more for a new driver every 5 years really that big of a deal?

10 minutes ago, jlukes said:

https://mygolfspy.com/the-increasing-costs-of-drivers/

Some good stuff in that article.  Also PINGS is just catching up now to the other big OEMs that had already increased their price over the last few years.

I saw/read this article last night, then noted it is from 2018.  It would seem the pricing leverage of offshoring all or part of the design to mfg. process has petered-out. It also seems pretty clear that, much like a huge natural disaster affects our insurance premiums, there is a reckoning coming from C19 in the form of costs of goods... which will then affect cost of services.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Cmon man - you know how the game works.  You of all people are not one to buy equipment when it is brand new just because you want new equipment.  

And most of the "averages Joes" are in the same boat - they aren't out there buying new equipment when it comes out just for the sake of buying it.

I mean think about it - if you are doing things the right way and getting fit into equipment - you should really only considering buying a new driver once ever 3-5 years.  

So is $50 more for a new driver every 5 years really that big of a deal?

Yeah.  I’m just stirring the pot a little to liven up the conversation.

I’m going to use the T100•S till the grooves are gone. My 3 wood is missing paint, putter ain’t going nowhere, wedges… those are going to be yearly.  So as long as they don’t go to $250 each without any sort of increase in tech I’ll be good… I did pay $180 for that horrible Hi-Toe a few years back…

But there has to be a least a tiny bit of PXG effect in there, speaking more specifically about those new irons.

7 hours ago, Shankster said:

One of the problems is we have fewer and fewer working men and women, but we have a lot more people sitting on their cans sucking on the government. Personally, I think everyone is going to see a drastic increase in all goods and taxes moving forward over the next several years.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

9 minutes ago, Dajgolf said:

I understand price increases, just tough to take when an order is being quoted at 16 weeks.

It’s nothing new and has been going on in every industry for the last year plus.

Theres some products or materials that have a year backorder. We have equipment being quoted from a vendor at 210 days. 

Even if the quote was 4 weeks the cost of materials and shipping have gone up so the price jump was going to happen regardless. We already saw new releases from Ping with the i59 that are higher than any mainstream brand for irons. Titleist and TM has price increase on new releases this year and Srixon when had a pretty significant increase in their latest irons