TESTERS WANTED! ×

US Ryder Cup PIcks

Alf. S

What are your thoughts on Steve Stricker's picks?

As a European I'm glad that Reed and Kisner are not playing, they are always great match play players,

Interesting to see how English and Berger do.

Scheffler I like and had backed him to win the WGC match play.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Reed always brings something to the matches....generally controversy....but he is a good match play player.  I really thought Kisner would have gotten the nod, but....

I would have liked to have seen Na get picked.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

20 minutes ago, LICC said:

I could have seen Na instead of Berger, but all the picks are sound.

I think Scheffler and Berger were picked because Whistling Straights is a BIG golf course, and if the wind comes up it will play as such.  Kisner and Na can't be hitting 3 iron into par fours and win matches.  Scheffler will have to keep his wits about him.  I thought he should have won the match play, but made some bad swings & bad decisions.  Berger won't be intimidated, he's shown that at President's Cup.  Not the same, I get that, but he's a least had a taste.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

3 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

I think Scheffler and Berger were picked because Whistling Straights is a BIG golf course, and if the wind comes up it will play as such.  Kisner and Na can't be hitting 3 iron into par fours and win matches.  Scheffler will have to keep his wits about him.  I thought he should have won the match play, but made some bad swings & bad decisions.  Berger won't be intimidated, he's shown that at President's Cup.  Not the same, I get that, but he's a least had a taste.

The WGC Matchplay final was torture to watch, especially the back 9, he was all over the place and taking an age to make the decisions. I didn't last till the end since it finished well past midnight UK time. I would hope for you guys he brings the form that led him there, his putting that week was exceptional.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

You can't fault Stricker for any of the picks, besides Reed they were the next guys all on points. Reed's health is an issue and Webb hasn't been playing great. Kisner and Na were longshots to make the team, neither are coming in hot enough to out rank the guys who've been top 12 for the two seasons. My concern is who are the pairings. Spieth/JT is a given. I wish we had Reed to pair with Bryson, I feel like they would make a good pair. Most of the guys have similar games. Xander/Colin I think would make a steady pair that would ball strike the euros to death. If Brooks is really hurt Reed has to be the replacement, if Brooks is healthy then it says a lot about him wanting to be there and I like our chances. 

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

7 hours ago, Alf. S said:

What are your thoughts on Steve Stricker's picks?

Solid 👍.

Daniel Berger, Harris English, Tony Finau, Xander Schauffele, Scottie Scheffler and Jordan Spieth are Ryder Cup Captain Steve Stricker's wildcard picks for the 2021 American team that will face off against the reigning champion European team at Whistling Straits, Sept. 24-26.

Speith, X-Man and English were no brainers IMO. To be honest, I think Reed's health was a question mark... yes he played the TC and made it through, but he's not operating at near peak and may not be over the practice and event period.  Much as I think he is deserving and brings that x-factor, It's just too much a risk when you have options like Berger, Finau, and Scheffler available... and peaking.  Personally, I think Berger and/or English are going to play big as rookies. I've always been a Webb fan and hate not seeing him in the line-up, but I do think we need to load up with power and youth.  The journeyman thing, while important, isn't so much these days. 

This group should have plenty to get it done, but pairings and bringing at least B+ games each match will be needed to wrestle the cup back from the stingy, unflappable Euro's.  Should be a great contest.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Little bummed Reed wasnt picked. 4 of 6 have zero Ryder Cup experience. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

When you have more than 12 good choices people will get left off the team.

The picks make sense. I would have liked to see Na but it’s the wrong course. I would have liked to see Reed but the health thing is a legitimate reason to exclude him. Ironically he may still make it because Brooks can’t go - 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

7 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Little bummed Reed wasnt picked. 4 of 6 have zero Ryder Cup experience. 

100% agree. Reed is electric in the Ryder Cup but he's not 100% healthy.

While I like to have experience going into the RC. We've only won two in twenty years so I'm almost looking at the lack of experience as a pro. Lets get some new hungry guys out there and dominate.

14 hours ago, DannyDips said:

You can't fault Stricker for any of the picks, besides Reed they were the next guys all on points. Reed's health is an issue and Webb hasn't been playing great. Kisner and Na were longshots to make the team, neither are coming in hot enough to out rank the guys who've been top 12 for the two seasons. My concern is who are the pairings. Spieth/JT is a given. I wish we had Reed to pair with Bryson, I feel like they would make a good pair. Most of the guys have similar games. Xander/Colin I think would make a steady pair that would ball strike the euros to death. If Brooks is really hurt Reed has to be the replacement, if Brooks is healthy then it says a lot about him wanting to be there and I like our chances. 

I don’t think Stricker and the team want any part of Reed. Especially after his comments the last time. Webb should be the next one up. 

1 hour ago, LICC said:

I don’t think Stricker and the team want any part of Reed. Especially after his comments the last time. Webb should be the next one up. 

Maybe. I get it, he can be cancerous with his comments and actions. But with the format he can only effect one other person, his partner and I feel like him and Bryson would be an awesome pairing. Plus he has that electric quality that drives the euros mad and gets under their skin. I love Webb too but his record isn't stellar and he's not been playing that well and possibly still nursing a minor injury. If Brooks is hurt, and that's a big if because I feel like he's a tough competitor, I'd almost rather see Na than Webb if its not Reed.

2 hours ago, DannyDips said:

Maybe. I get it, he can be cancerous with his comments and actions. But with the format he can only effect one other person, his partner and I feel like him and Bryson would be an awesome pairing. Plus he has that electric quality that drives the euros mad and gets under their skin. I love Webb too but his record isn't stellar and he's not been playing that well and possibly still nursing a minor injury. If Brooks is hurt, and that's a big if because I feel like he's a tough competitor, I'd almost rather see Na than Webb if its not Reed.

Agree on Reed first, then Na and possibly Webb.  I'm a Reed fan and would love to see him on the team but my gut tells me he's 80% at best right now.  Na has a little fire in him and the Euro's seeing him walking in putts would be as effective as Reed shushing the crowd.  Another possibility might be Horschel.  He gets along with everyone and is playing the best golf in his career.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 9/9/2021 at 12:41 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Agree on Reed first, then Na and possibly Webb.  I'm a Reed fan and would love to see him on the team but my gut tells me he's 80% at best right now.  Na has a little fire in him and the Euro's seeing him walking in putts would be as effective as Reed shushing the crowd.  Another possibility might be Horschel.  He gets along with everyone and is playing the best golf in his career.

Billy Ho sure seems fired up to be the 13th man if Koepka can't go. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/09/12/billy-horschel-wins-european-tour-bmw-championship-after-ryder-cup-snub/

5 hours ago, DannyDips said:

Interesting when you consider his late season charge in 2014 is what changed the rules to making at least one the captain's picks after the tour championship.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Interesting when you consider his late season charge in 2014 is what changed the rules to making at least one the captain's picks after the tour championship.

I know isn't it? It was literally called the "Billy Horschel rule" by some when they pushed the selections back to after the Tour Championship... I think I've changed my mind. If Brooks can't go and Reed isn't fully healthy (which he isn't) Lets bring in a ticked off Billy Ho! 

Really surprised to hear a guy like Billy Horschel didn't even get a call from one of the Assistant Captains informing him that he wasn't selected.

You would think that would be common courtesy to those in the top 20 who weren't selected.  I would think Horschel, Kisner and Na have got to be on an alternate list.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User