Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Phil Mickelson's Comments on golf balls and liquid center balls

Anything is possible, except for an electric car that charges itself… I still don’t understand how the engineers haven’t figure it out yet… it seems simple to me.

Taylormade is the most recent liquid center ball that I can remember.  My dad swore by them. The plastic tubes they came in and everything… I “borrowed” a sleeve one time when I was a kid… bad idea, he wasn’t thrilled.  Haha.

You mean this right around the 2 min mark (assuming a Twitter link is allowed).

Honestly it sounds like the claim about liquid filled balls is another claim that is based on pure conjecture, but honestly I’m also not exactly sure what he is even saying. I imagine manufacturers could develop golf balls that have different characteristics—high spin or low spin—even with a liquid core.  

“Oncore” had developed a perimeter weighted ball and I don’t think it hung around though I believe it was deemed nin-conforming because of the metal or something. They marketed it as more forgiving though.

The last ball I remember playing with a liquid core was the Titleist professional. I think some testing showed it didn’t spin any more than a pro v1, just that it was slower overall. 

I agree about the driver length though. Capping at 46 is only going to benefit the longest hitters more.

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

He is technically correct but it was not isolated to liquid cores, all wound balls had CG closer to the center than modern solid core multilayer balls. The problem with his suggestion is that there is no realistic way to enforce a CG requirement for golf balls. The physical attributes of the ball that relate to distance that can be realistically measured already are limited by the USGA (weight, diameter, dimple symmetry). If adding more spin off the tee is the goal, the USGA would have to create some type of reactionary test under a specific set of swing variables similar to the current ODS and velocity tests.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

Back in the late 80's, while caddying for a gentleman in US Open Locals,  I saw he was using Spalding Tour Edition Golf balls, saw his green shots would stop after one hop or spin back. He did not make it past locals but gave e a dozen of them as a thank you.

My swing was a lot younger then, I hit 3 of them onto a par 3, the 3 Tour Editions were ALL a minimum of 5 yards past the 3 Titleist Balatas I had hit. 

So, now that I set the scene or bored you, could it be that by switching to wound balls it would roll the distance back and maybe decrease spin ? 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

I don’t know how you would do it, but I am convinced that a ball that spins more the harder it is hit would stop the increases in distance. If you hit a ball with 130 mph club head speed and it spins at 4000 rpm or more, you will see pro players dialing it back to keep the ball on the golf course. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

9 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I don’t know how you would do it, but I am convinced that a ball that spins more the harder it is hit would stop the increases in distance. If you hit a ball with 130 mph club head speed and it spins at 4000 rpm or more, you will see pro players dialing it back to keep the ball on the golf course. 

That is not universally possible as spin is primarily based on angle of attack and strike location (speed can exaggerate these but given optimal club delivery it won’t have much of a direct effect on spin). The best the USGA would be able to do is set spin minimums based on specific sets of less than optimal swing variables in order to further punish poor strikes however OEMs could make club adjustments to adapt to the new optimal.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W