TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf ball help

Chris1

Okay so I am not a great player lets say around 100 on avg.  A lot of that is 3 putts but.. I have been buying and testing all kinds of golf balls to see what works best for me and my bougie self can't seem to get away from big name golf balls with the urethane cover.  Is this hurting my game vs just buying cheaper balls with lower spin?  I guess the only reason I look at the urethane covered ones is because I read somewhere they stop better on the greens because of more spin.  I wanted to order some Vice golf balls but was not sure which ones would benefit me the most.  

I guess maybe I am over thinking the golf balls.  I was really trying to find one and just stick to it so I could play better but maybe it doesn't matter given my skill level. 

Given your skill level, chances are you are not getting many of the benefits a urethane covered golf ball can provide. I game urethane covered balls because I like the feel, are able to apply spin and the they do not mark up easily. However I do not game the top brands, if I am simply out for a hit I generally use Kirkland, in competition I use Seed 001's. The big issue is the cost of loosing balls, if you have a bad round and loose 2-4 balls at $6-7 each it quickly becomes and expensive round. One of my mates lost 9 Callaway Chromesoft on one round so $60 on top of the $50 green fees was a real expensive day.

My advise is find a good ball and a reasonable price that feels good off the putter. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

This is frustrating.

I want to add  something with every interesting subject because it's fun,

and golf ball choice is a very interesting subject.

Unfortunately, I somehow land on a ball and then play it until it goes out of production, never tryin anything else.

This is not the kind of input for which we're looking, here.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Shooting in the low 100s, the only thing hurting may be your wallet if you lose too many balls a round. Only teasing😜. Urethane doesn't hurt your game, but try to find one or two balls and stick to them. My own conclusion after reading the ball lab stuff is find the cheapest ball that performs the way you like. No reason to spend $50 on Pro Vs if the $27 Vice gives you what you want.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

The difference in a few hundred rpms spin on a full swing isn't causing errant shots, the swing you put on the ball is.  There is some evidence suggesting spin actually stabilizes ball flight, at least from a distance control perspective.  

Urethane is going to shine most on partial swing and short game shots.  However, you can play a non-urethane ball that is going to release more than urethane alternatives just fine so long as you get used to it a know how to play for the release (at least to the best of your current ability).  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Chris1

This question is often discussed, as is reasonable.

I offer the same suggestion to all,and I mean no offense. Play the ball that you can afford to lose. Play a ball that the financial cost to you, will allow you to give a cursory look, drop another and play on, for the sake of the pace of Play. If you can do this with 48$ a dozen balls, then it certainly is unlikely to hurt your game using expensive balls.

I would also suggest to avoid falling into the mindset of pieces of equipment,  and changes to them making you play better.  I use Bridgestone e12 soft, 25$ a dozen.  I can assure you  that almost all of the strokes I feel like I gave away in any given round, are because of a bad swing, bad mechanics, bad contact, lack of distance control, bad decision making,  and probably 50 other things that are not my ball.  You will ALWAYS be better off practicing, and being able to chip that 2$ ball to within 3 feet of the cup, as opposed to not practicing and hoping the 4$ ball gets that close. 

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 9/8/2021 at 9:03 PM, Chris1 said:

Okay so I am not a great player lets say around 100 on avg.  A lot of that is 3 putts but.. I have been buying and testing all kinds of golf balls to see what works best for me and my bougie self can't seem to get away from big name golf balls with the urethane cover.  Is this hurting my game vs just buying cheaper balls with lower spin?  I guess the only reason I look at the urethane covered ones is because I read somewhere they stop better on the greens because of more spin.  I wanted to order some Vice golf balls but was not sure which ones would benefit me the most.  

I guess maybe I am over thinking the golf balls.  I was really trying to find one and just stick to it so I could play better but maybe it doesn't matter given my skill level. 

3 piece urethane golf balls are not hurting your game. Play what you can afford to loose. The Maxfli Tour are pretty solid as well. Kirkland, Snell, lostgolfballs.com. 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

If you lose a lot of balls, go cheaper until your swing improves (and helps the wallet). The only thing that will stop me from using other balls is the feeling. I prefer a harder ball, personally I can distance control my wedges better as compared to a softer ball. Vice, Snell, Titleist, Bridgestone, Callaway all have great options at different price points. I Personally use Pro V1X now, used to play Bridgestone e7 and Srixon Ad333.

Anyone else ever play the old Nike Red and Black, loved that ball

TSI3 Driver tour ad iz 6X

TS3 15* 3 wood evenflow white

818 H1 21* hybrid evenflow blue

4-W Titleist T200 Modus 3 120 1* Flat .5 cut

Vokey 54*S - 60*M SM7

Scotty Fastback 1.5 33” 20g weights

Just ordered some Snell golf balls after watching a Q&A with the owner on Youtube.  Love it, I like people that run companies like this guy does.  I also called in this morning to ask a question about my order and after one ring, connected with a lady that works there and she was very pleasant.  The fact I didn't have to press a bunch of numbers and listen to a pre recorded msg and then wait to try to talk to someone was awesome..   Now I just hope I love them so I can buy more.

8 hours ago, Chris1 said:

Just ordered some Snell golf balls after watching a Q&A with the owner on Youtube.  Love it, I like people that run companies like this guy does.  I also called in this morning to ask a question about my order and after one ring, connected with a lady that works there and she was very pleasant.  The fact I didn't have to press a bunch of numbers and listen to a pre recorded msg and then wait to try to talk to someone was awesome..   Now I just hope I love them so I can buy more.

Snell customer service is top notch!!!!! Great business model over there.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X