TESTERS WANTED! ×

“Heads Up” Putting?

If you haven’t listened to it yet, go check out the latest Hack it Out Golf podcast.  ALWAYS full of great content  with Mark Crossfield, Scott Fawcett, and Lou Stagner, but the latest edition (#50) includes Sasho McKenzie and is probably the best one yet.

Anyway, about 30-35 minutes in the discussion steered towards a previous lecture/video Sasho had given concerning “heads up” putting, which basically means looking at your target as you putt rather than the ball.  He gave a number of compelling insights into why it MIGHT be a better putting method for some…has anyone tried this?  And I don’t mean rolled 10 putts in your basement, I mean has anyone taken this to the course and given this method an honest trial?

I’d be very interested in anyone’s thoughts on this.  

And, by the way, if you don’t subscribe to Hack It Out, you are truly missing out…

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Been talked about before on the forum.

Also,  the link to the Sasho Mckenzie seminar is:  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

And, by the way, if you don’t subscribe to Hack It Out, you are truly missing out…

Cannot second this enough. I not much of a podcast fan but I listen to this religiously and love all of them so far. Side note, Crosafield just did a video about creating lag and how that really doesn't work how we think and it was enlightening.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

8 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

If you haven’t listened to it yet, go check out the latest Hack it Out Golf podcast.  ALWAYS full of great content  with Mark Crossfield, Scott Fawcett, and Lou Stagner, but the latest edition (#50) includes Sasho McKenzie and is probably the best one yet.

Anyway, about 30-35 minutes in the discussion steered towards a previous lecture/video Sasho had given concerning “heads up” putting, which basically means looking at your target as you putt rather than the ball.  He gave a number of compelling insights into why it MIGHT be a better putting method for some…has anyone tried this?  And I don’t mean rolled 10 putts in your basement, I mean has anyone taken this to the course and given this method an honest trial?

I’d be very interested in anyone’s thoughts on this.  

I'll second a recommendation for the pod, they have some great insights and are always sharing helpful information. I am intrigued by heads up putting as well, going to have to try it out on the putting green and see how I get along with it.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Been talked about before on the forum.

Also,  the link to the Sasho Mckenzie seminar is:  

Ah, damn it, I did a search but not thoroughly enough apparently.

Thanks, especially for the video link.  Brilliant guy that Sasho.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

37 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Ah, damn it, I did a search but not thoroughly enough apparently.

Thanks, especially for the video link.  Brilliant guy that Sasho.

And for those that like to read instead of watching videos, he posted this as well

https://www.golfsciencejournal.org/article/5008-evaluation-of-near-versus-far-target-visual-focus-strategies-with-breaking-putts

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I tried it for a while and it works, but I’m not sure it’s any better than looking at the ball (at least for me). It can cause problems with longer putts because you can end up scuffing the ground behind the ball in which case the ball goes nowhere (guaranteed 3-putt). So for now I just use it some when practicing to make sure I’m not overly technical with my stroke. The heads up method forces you to be athletic and react to the distance/hole like you would if you were just tossing the ball to the hole. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

4 minutes ago, CRW said:

I tried it for a while and it works, but I’m not sure it’s any better than looking at the ball (at least for me). It can cause problems with longer putts because you can end up scuffing the ground behind the ball in which case the ball goes nowhere (guaranteed 3-putt). So for now I just use it some when practicing to make sure I’m not overly technical with my stroke. The heads up method forces you to be athletic and react to the distance/hole like you would if you were just tossing the ball to the hole. 

Don’t know if you listened to the podcast but they specifically talked about not always having to do the heads up approach especially as you get to longer distances as contact starts to become more important. 

Expand on your first statement some more.  You say it works but then counter and say it may not be any better than looking at the ball.  If you aren’t any better then it really doesn’t work to improve your putting.  Do you have metrics over time to show putting prior to heads up to compare to heads up?  For example were you better at 6-10 footers, same from 10-20 and worse outside of 20’?  

Lou Stagner is looking for volunteers on Twitter who have SG: Putting data to trial heads up and collect data to see if it makes a difference. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Don’t know if you listened to the podcast but they specifically talked about not always having to do the heads up approach especially as you get to longer distances as contact starts to become more important. 

Expand on your first statement some more.  You say it works but then counter and say it may not be any better than looking at the ball.  If you aren’t any better then it really doesn’t work to improve your putting.  Do you have metrics over time to show putting prior to heads up to compare to heads up?  For example were you better at 6-10 footers, same from 10-20 and worse outside of 20’?  

I guess I should have said it works about the same as traditional putting for me. I have no data, and gave up on Arccos already as the sensors kept coming lose probably because of how close my lead/top hand is to the end of the grip.

I’m basing it on my average number of putts (around 30 per round, depending on how many greens I hit/miss). The most important factor for me with putting at this point seems to be the putter I’m using and whether I get along with it. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I know a spy who knows a spy that putts pretty dang well using this method. I've tried it for fun a few times and, well, it's weird to me... hell, it's weird watching him putt 😆. Having just recently switched to LHL is all the putting change I care to master right now. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I switched to heads up putting a few months ago based on Sasho’s research and it really helped me. There was a bit of a learning curve, but I practiced a bit at home with some rubber bands on my putter to practice strike. 

I don’t think I’ll ever go back. I feel much more comfortable on the greens now. My pace control and has never been better, especially on mid range putts. I have made way more 8 to 20 foot putts. While putts per round isn’t a great metric, I have definitely seen my average reduce as well about a stroke or two less per round since I began. 

One caveat is that I also changed putters to something that fit my stroke better. I was using a 2 ball because I aimed it alright, but since I stopped focusing too much on the putter itself, and more on the swing feel, I’ve been happier. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

On 9/9/2021 at 10:20 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I know a spy who knows a spy that putts pretty dang well using this method. I've tried it for fun a few times and, well, it's weird to me... hell, it's weird watching him putt 😆. Having just recently switched to LHL is all the putting change I care to master right now. 

Are you referring to me??  😆

I've been putting "heads up" looking at the hole since 2014.  I switched because I was a terrible putter, and I thought Why Not?  Can't hurt!!  My big issue prior to switching was moving my head; looked up too soon.  When my head is already up, it doesn't move.  I'm a much better judge of distance and speed of the putt using this method... think shooting hoops, darts, horseshoes, corn hole, slo-pitch softball, etc.  I average about 30 putts per round, mostly because I miss a lot of greens.

It took a lot of practice when I first tried it; started with putts inside 5 feet, then slowly move back as I got comfortable.  I use it for all putts, even putting from the fringe when I don't chip.  Last year as an experiment, I tried traditional putting for a few holes and quickly decided that I will never go back!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm going to give this a try next time out. I also think I'll be doing it on most every stroke since that SIK I have has the DLT that should mitigate strike pattern misses a bit better than most other putters. I need something to jump start putting again to be honest, the start and middle of this year were very good for my strokes gained putting numbers going positive strokes gained against a 5 handicap in 9 of 10 weekend rounds, but the last month I've hit a lull, going negative strokes gained in 4 of my last 5. Part of that is proximity, but part of it is not hitting lines like I was to start the year. This could be the spark I need.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I volunteered to provide before and after data to Lou after suffering through 45 putts during my last round of "traditional" putting (my worst ever I believe), now its a race against winter up in Canada. Got 1 round in with 36 putts (a couple from fringe) and 5x 3 putts. Was smashing the ball past the hole. Have a scramble this week which will be another chance for on course practice. I did drain a downhill, winding 45' putt for birdie on a par 3. So there are some flashes. I am making a ton of putts on my steel ruler and Exputt at home, just need it to translate to the course. 

If anything, it gives me a distraction on course as I also race to break single digits for the first time. (Also, gives an excuse if I don't make it 😆

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

41 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I volunteered to provide before and after data to Lou after suffering through 45 putts during my last round of "traditional" putting (my worst ever I believe), now its a race against winter up in Canada. Got 1 round in with 36 putts (a couple from fringe) and 5x 3 putts. Was smashing the ball past the hole. Have a scramble this week which will be another chance for on course practice. I did drain a downhill, winding 45' putt for birdie on a par 3. So there are some flashes. I am making a ton of putts on my steel ruler and Exputt at home, just need it to translate to the course. 

If anything, it gives me a distraction on course as I also race to break single digits for the first time. (Also, gives an excuse if I don't make it 😆

How are you doing heads up on your Exputt?   Are you just looking at the dots on the mat?

On 9/9/2021 at 7:28 AM, BMart519 said:

Lou Stagner is looking for volunteers on Twitter who have SG: Putting data to trial heads up and collect data to see if it makes a difference. 

I volunteered to take part with Lou. Will embark on the journey this week. Will be interesting to see the differences. Long putts will take some getting used to. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

How are you doing heads up on your Exputt?   Are you just looking at the dots on the mat?

Yes, the dots closest to the sponge. I find that much more comfortable than looking all the way to the hole. My distance control was also better on Exputt than on the course. I may use a hybrid approach of an intermediate target. Staring at the hole seems to make me more outcome focussed compared to rolling over some intermediate target. Plus I repeatedly practice the 5-50’ putts on Exputt so I was in the habit of using those stroke lengths based on the length of putt on the course. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

3 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I volunteered to take part with Lou. Will embark on the journey this week. Will be interesting to see the differences. Long putts will take some getting used to. 

It took me a couple of months to get comfortable from long range; anxiety of maybe not making good contact, but it goes away.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

It took me a couple of months to get comfortable from long range; anxiety of maybe not making good contact, but it goes away.

Do you look at the hole for long range putts or some intermediate target?

I tried it on putts within 5 feet my last round (without practicing for more than 5 minutes) and made all of the putts. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Do you look at the hole for long range putts or some intermediate target?

I tried it on putts within 5 feet my last round (without practicing for more than 5 minutes) and made all of the putts. 

I look at the hole, unless the putt has a lot of break; then I look at a spot on the green right or left of the hole on the line I want to start the putt.  I don't look at intermediate targets.  For me, the whole point of looking at the hole is judging distance, so I don't want to look short of the hole.

Once I line up the ball and my putter to my intended line and set up square, it's all about getting the speed correct.  If you get the speed right, even if the line is off a little on long putts, the ball will finish close to the hole.

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I look at the hole, unless the putt has a lot of break; then I look at a spot on the green right or left of the hole on the line I want to start the putt.  I don't look at intermediate targets.  For me, the whole point of looking at the hole is judging distance, so I don't want to look short of the hole.

Once I line up the ball and my putter to my intended line and set up square, it's all about getting the speed correct.  If you get the speed right, even if the line is off a little on long putts, the ball will finish close to the hole.

I have to say I'm tempted to try this...perhaps an offseason experiment first.

To me the fascinating thing that Sasho described from the Hack it Out podcast was that, in using "Heads Up", variance in putter face contact suffers but that it really doesn't matter.  I find that incredibly interesting and insightful, and consistent with Scott Fawcett's DECADE instruction...get the speed right and stop sweating technique and stroke so much.

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

To me the fascinating thing that Sasho described from the Hack it Out podcast was that, in using "Heads Up", variance in putter face contact suffers but that it really doesn't matter.  I find that incredibly interesting and insightful, and consistent with Scott Fawcett's DECADE instruction...get the speed right and stop sweating technique and stroke so much.

Maybe I didn't have putter face control when I first started Heads Up, but I feel like I can start a putt on my intended line nearly all the time.  On greens that I am familiar with, I am usually very close to the hole on most long putts. 

I practice putting with my trail hand (look up Tiger's putting practice).  I try to make two putts with my right hand from the four sides of the hole from 3 and 4 feet.  If I can do that, I'm confident that I can start the ball online from 25 feet.

I started mid-season because I was so bad, it didn't make any difference!!  Practicing during offseason is a good idea.  Inside 5 feet is fairly easy, but longer putts are tougher.  It's not something to try for 20 minutes.  Long putts take time to get the feel of it.  Start with short putts for awhile, then slowly move back as you become comfortable with it.  If you don't give it a few weeks, I guarantee that you will quit.

29 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I tried it this past weekend.  I have tried it before but never really committed to an entire round.   Rolled short and long putts on the practice green for about 10 minutes and then took it to the course. I was really impressed and distance control wasn’t horrible on long putts. I am going to keep using using it as I felt it was a better more consistent approach.  I don’t think it needs to be an off-season type of change.  They even talked on the hack it out podcast about doing it on the course when you were comfortable and that it didn’t have to be every putt.  

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I tried it this past weekend.  I have tried it before but never really committed to an entire round.   Rolled short and long putts on the practice green for about 10 minutes and then took it to the course. I was really impressed and distance control wasn’t horrible on long putts. I am going to keep using using it as I felt it was a better more consistent approach.  I don’t think it needs to be an off-season type of change.  They even talked on the hack it out podcast about doing it on the course when you were comfortable and that it didn’t have to be every putt.  

I'm sure you're right, I'm just the type that takes a long time to get comfortable.

Mark Crossfield's latest posted to YouTube yesterday, and it's all about Heads Up Putting. 

I had heard of this years ago and didn't think too much of it.  I watched Crossfield's video as linked above and was intrigued.  So I rolled out my 12' practice green and started rolling some putts.   I couldn't believe how it feels.  I practiced quite a bit at home over 3 days and went to play a round of golf last night.   I gave a couple rolls on the practice greens and thought what do I have to lose?  Here are my observations from my round and the practice green rolls. 

Overall I putted great during that round of golf.   It did get dark and I misread the greens on a few breaks.   When I would miss a putt (of any length) , I'd pull the ball back and putt traditional.  Still missed them.  It was a misread on my part, every time.  I never missed with a Heads Up putt on one that was in the range of "should" make.   The ones in the range I should have made, were a misread on my part and I missed them both Head up and Eyes Down.  Darkness had a big factor in the misreads on the last 3 holes.  

I did notice that you really have to commit in your mind to pull the trigger and let your instinct about how hard to hit the putt come in.   When I failed to commit I would tentatively hit the ball and it would come up short.   When committed though, if I missed the putt it was right by the hole or slightly passed.  I am "die at the hole" type putter and have a tendency to leave them short  so actually rolling them past the hole 4"-12" (on long lags) was somewhat refreshing.  

I also noticed the need (practice matt putting, practice green putting and during the round) that I need to focus very specific to the hitting spot I am looking at.  We're talking blade of grass (perhaps on the back side of the cup on short putts), a ball divot mark on bending putts and not a vague area, even like an old hole 4" location circle. 

I will continue to putt this way at least for a while.   If I feel like it starts to fail me or just feel more comfortable on putting eyes down a particular putt, I will do it. 

Already it feels almost odd keeping my head down on putts. 

On the ground scuffing worry, here is what has worked for me.  And I have never scuffed the ground after starting this.   Rest putter behind ball online.  Look at putt and pick a specific spot.  Align putter accordingly.  Look at ball, raise and hover the putter.  Look back and find specific spot again and then stroke the putt.   Works for me so far. 

I also mixed between the two styles when I first started. One other thing I liked about Crossfield’s take was that he seemed to trace the intended line with his eyes from the ball to the target. I hadn’t been doing that but I think it helps to get a good feel of the distance based on a few days of trying it. 

Also, for what it’s worth, I don’t generally look at the hole for downhill putts once I settle on an aim point. I find on putts that I think will break more than a few feet it’s really helpful to focus on a spot much closer to me, typically the crest of the hill or what I think the apex will be. That said, I generally pick a spot out by the hole on flatter putts, even longer lag putts. I imagine that everyone develops a preferred aiming method depending on their style. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

3 hours ago, VtheGNMan said:

I had heard of this years ago and didn't think too much of it.  I watched Crossfield's video as linked above and was intrigued.  So I rolled out my 12' practice green and started rolling some putts.   I couldn't believe how it feels.  I practiced quite a bit at home over 3 days and went to play a round of golf last night.   I gave a couple rolls on the practice greens and thought what do I have to lose?  Here are my observations from my round and the practice green rolls. 

Overall I putted great during that round of golf.   It did get dark and I misread the greens on a few breaks.   When I would miss a putt (of any length) , I'd pull the ball back and putt traditional.  Still missed them.  It was a misread on my part, every time.  I never missed with a Heads Up putt on one that was in the range of "should" make.   The ones in the range I should have made, were a misread on my part and I missed them both Head up and Eyes Down.  Darkness had a big factor in the misreads on the last 3 holes.  

I did notice that you really have to commit in your mind to pull the trigger and let your instinct about how hard to hit the putt come in.   When I failed to commit I would tentatively hit the ball and it would come up short.   When committed though, if I missed the putt it was right by the hole or slightly passed.  I am "die at the hole" type putter and have a tendency to leave them short  so actually rolling them past the hole 4"-12" (on long lags) was somewhat refreshing.  

I also noticed the need (practice matt putting, practice green putting and during the round) that I need to focus very specific to the hitting spot I am looking at.  We're talking blade of grass (perhaps on the back side of the cup on short putts), a ball divot mark on bending putts and not a vague area, even like an old hole 4" location circle. 

I will continue to putt this way at least for a while.   If I feel like it starts to fail me or just feel more comfortable on putting eyes down a particular putt, I will do it. 

Already it feels almost odd keeping my head down on putts. 

On the ground scuffing worry, here is what has worked for me.  And I have never scuffed the ground after starting this.   Rest putter behind ball online.  Look at putt and pick a specific spot.  Align putter accordingly.  Look at ball, raise and hover the putter.  Look back and find specific spot again and then stroke the putt.   Works for me so far. 

I'll add to this that I went back and looked at my stats for the round of golf I played last night.   I knew I wasn't striking the ball the best but my overall score stayed the same.  Now I see how.  Last night I had 31 putts for 18 holes.   For the season, every round averaged out to a predictable 36 putts per round, until this round.  Even when I played the low round of the year for me, I averaged....you guessed it, 36 putts.    

42 minutes ago, VtheGNMan said:

I'll add to this that I went back and looked at my stats for the round of golf I played last night.   I knew I wasn't striking the ball the best but my overall score stayed the same.  Now I see how.  Last night I had 31 putts for 18 holes.   For the season, every round averaged out to a predictable 36 putts per round, until this round.  Even when I played the low round of the year for me, I averaged....you guessed it, 36 putts.    

Putts per round doesn't always tell the story properly.  For instance (extreme example)....suppose you chipped it close enough on every hole to save bogey with a 1-putt.  You would have had 18 putts, but you still shot 90.  What if you hit every green in regulation and 2 putted every hole...you shot even par but had 36 putts.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Putts per round doesn't always tell the story properly.  For instance (extreme example)....suppose you chipped it close enough on every hole to save bogey with a 1-putt.  You would have had 18 putts, but you still shot 90.  What if you hit every green in regulation and 2 putted every hole...you shot even par but had 36 putts.

You are absolutely correct, it doesn’t tell the whole story.  So many stats can be taken out of context as it were.  What I do know from this round is with the way I was striking the ball (not real great), I was not giving myself quality looks.  But I 1 putted 5 holes which I’ve never done (with zero 3 putts), even when I was on and hit great shots.  I totally understand what you’re saying though.  Very next time out I very well might have 36+ putts and feel great about it.  Wind, pin position and the mood of “he who cuts the cup” all come into play.