TESTERS WANTED! ×

Where do you play (public vs private)?

Gavwlee

I recently signed up then cancelled my private club membership after 6 months when I realized members didn't care to repair divots, rake bunkers, destroy practice areas, and monopolize tee times (just in case they decided to play)...all to say, not a good experience. And the pace of play was not any better than any public course (5 - 6.5 hours when stuck behind the wrong group, thinking they're playing on tour).

With that rant aside, where do you all play? Public vs Private? Same home course all the time? Rotation of courses in and around your neighborhood? With a club/consistent group of folks?

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

I play a variety of courses within about an hour of my house but mostly semi-private with a regular group that has dwindled over the years.  The problems you described seem to exist at all types of courses. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I play a private country club.  While I can have complaints about my course, the pace of play, availability to play, and course conditions are superior to the alternatives that exist in my area.  I primarily play at this course, but occasionally play the other local courses for a change of scenery and experiences.  I do travel and will play the local courses in the areas we visit.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

There was a short, executive length public course in Middleton, Massachusetts

that I loved to play at least once or twice a season,

even though I belong to a club,

simply because it was maintained at private club levels and was so pretty and so much fun to play.

And I could walk it easily with a bag trolley.

Then it closed.  Bummer.

Club members play at green fee courses all the time.

If you invite friends to play and socialize at your own club,  that's on your dime--their money is no good there--

so it gets expensive to do it often.

If you meet at a nearby green fee course that's nice to play, you can do it more often.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

40 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I play a private country club.  While I can have complaints about my course, the pace of play, availability to play, and course conditions are superior to the alternatives that exist in my area.  I primarily play at this course, but occasionally play the other local courses for a change of scenery and experiences.  I do travel and will play the local courses in the areas we visit.

Exactly the same for me.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

i play a rotation of local public courses. 

i won’t join a club until my wife, kid(s) and i can get my money’s worth from a family membership. that’s still a few years away. 

in the meantime i’ll play as many courses as i can get on to and happily be a guest at my dad’s club as often as i can. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Variety is the spice of life. 

I like to get to as many different courses as I can. Have a few connections for some semi-private clubs around. Mostly public courses, I enjoy bang for my buck and there is plenty of that here in central Massachusetts.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I play munis and semi-privates. 

I've played a few public courses that were in pristine condition and got in 18 holes in less than 4 hours. I've played a few semi privates where I was fixing ball marks on every green and was waiting on nearly every hole.

Every course is different, and sometimes they're even different on a day to day basis. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Pretty much all over. I grew up playing county municipal courses and executives. As I got older I took jobs at private clubs for the golf. 

Next season we are joining a private club and until then, mostly public. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I play public, but I buy a season pass to a course about 25 min from home. The pass works out so that after about 22 rounds it's paid for. This is the only way I can afford to play as much golf as I want. I try to play plenty of other courses through the area, just certain ones are really tough to get tee times at. 

Also my course usually isn't first on anyone's list, I know I can get early tee times and play quickly in the mornings.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

3 hours ago, CarlH said:

Same for me as well.  

I have a son that's a competitive golfer/HS golfer that's been playing since he was 6.  It was worth it to get a membership somewhere for as much as we play.  We also play most of our rounds as 9 hole rounds after work/school so we almost never end up waiting.  Typically we can get 9 holes played in under 1.5 hrs. and 18 in under 3 hrs.  It also helps that my club has 4 separate 18 hole courses on site.  I'm sure I'll lose it when my son goes off to college because my wife will find other ways for us to spend those funds.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I play public, but I buy a season pass to a course about 25 min from home. The pass works out so that after about 22 rounds it's paid for. This is the only way I can afford to play as much golf as I want. I try to play plenty of other courses through the area, just certain ones are really tough to get tee times at. 

Also my course usually isn't first on anyone's list, I know I can get early tee times and play quickly in the mornings.

There are a few courses in my area that offer season passes. I might have to check that out. 

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

28 minutes ago, Gavwlee said:

There are a few courses in my area that offer season passes. I might have to check that out. 

It's good if you don't mind playing one course for about 70% of your rounds. There are a few other courses that are better condition but their memberships are a few thousand. If I'm spending that for public, I should look a joining a club

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

5 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Same for me, but it's for both my wife and I so nearly double the price.  It's an "upscale" muni, according to their website... 😆 Most all of our rounds are at this course.  My wife travels around the area with her Ladies Club playing different courses.  I occasionally play an another public course in town for free with some guys that have a corporate membership.

However, we travel in the Pacific Northwest to play, and we travel someplace warm in the winter for a 2-week golf getaway.  Headed to Palm Springs in January.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Headed to Palm Springs in January.

And, we know how cheap those courses are, even using GolfNow or other apps!  🏌️‍♂️

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

With how my life has been going the last year I haven’t had the time to golf like I normally do so I only play a local muni. There’s a private club in my town which has referral membership courses so I’ve been debating joining there but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. So for now it’s just local munis

I play all over town and enjoy playing when I travel. Never been a member anywhere. I really enjoy the variety and don’t play enough to justify a membership. Although I think being a member of a club would be fun, especially with tournaments/games they might do. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

21 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I play public, but I buy a season

This is my situation as well.  It's a course that is 8 min from my house and since I work from home I can get 9 in on many mornings or immediately after work.  It also makes me feel better if I can only get out and play like 3 holes after 7pm or something.  I don't feel like I wasted my money on a round. 

That's not to say that I don't go off and play other courses as well but that is my primary place to play.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

... 185 courses in the Phoenix area. Add Tuscon and it gets near 300. So I am caught between joining a private club or playing all over the place because there are some stellar courses here. Not a problem in summer, early fall or late spring but the rest of the year with the best weather can be very crowded with snowbirds and tourists getting away from the snow and cold. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 9/9/2021 at 7:47 AM, CarlH said:

If I lived where you do Carl, I would have a difficult time playing anywhere else... 

side note..  One of my guys won the SOGC last week.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I usually play public courses as their are a good amount of them around me. That being said any chance I get to play a private course with a member, I always jump at the chance as they are some of the nicest courses in our area.

Currently what is in the bag:

Driver: Switch between a Callaway XR16 5 degree long drive driver, Titleist TS2 driver, or TaylorMade Mini Burner

Upper end of the back I switch out between:

Titleist U510 1 iron, Mizuno MP20HMB 3 iron bend down to 2 iron loft, Titleist TS2 3 and 5 wood, Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid

Iron are Mizuno MP-20 SEL 3-PW 

Wedges are Vokey SM8's 46, 50, 54, 58, 62

Putter(s): switch between Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Special or a Odyssey Tank 7 putter that I converted to an armlock putter.

All grips are Jumbo Max XL

Ball switched between ProV1 x, ProV1 left dash, and TP5 X

Local semi-private, when I stay close to home, with a regular group.  Most of my tournament golf is played at private venues.  That probably accounts for half of my rounds.

Driver - TM Stealth 10.5*

3W - Callaway Rogue ST 15*

5W - Callaway Rogue ST 18*

Irons - 2019 Callaway Apex Pro

Titleist Vokey SM8 - 54* and 58*

Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 

Me and my golf pal hit a rotation of about 4 courses in our immediate area (30 minute drive). One is a muni, the others are privately owned, opened to the public. The courses are in great shape and can typically get around in 4 hours, sometimes longer on a holiday weekend. Played in 3:40 hours (walking) on Wednesday afternoon. SE Connecticut/SW Rhode Island. 

TZ

I play public course in and around the area. Overall the pace of play is in the 3.5 to 4.5 for 18 holes. Before the pandemic, I could sometimes get out early and play 18 in 3 hours or less. Once everyone took up golf during COVID the Public courses are packed and hard to get tee times. I would like to join a private club but cannot justify the expense with my daughter in college. 

On 9/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, Gavwlee said:

I recently signed up then cancelled my private club membership after 6 months when I realized members didn't care to repair divots, rake bunkers, destroy practice areas, and monopolize tee times (just in case they decided to play)...all to say, not a good experience. And the pace of play was not any better than any public course (5 - 6.5 hours when stuck behind the wrong group, thinking they're playing on tour).

With that rant aside, where do you all play? Public vs Private? Same home course all the time? Rotation of courses in and around your neighborhood? With a club/consistent group of folks?

The vast majority of public-access and municipal golf courses in my area (Eastern PA and Central/Southern NJ) are well-maintained and provide a good challenge and test of golf, so I primarily play these courses. I occasionally get the opportunity to play private courses, and if they are good courses and the folks I will be playing with are cool, I play these courses maybe 6 to 8x per year.  I will also travel up to 1.5-2 hours to play a great course, but I am fortunate to have plenty of quality public courses within a 20 to 30 minute drive from which I can choose, so I only travel those greater distances to play golf with buddies of mine who live nearer to courses that are further from me.

I also play on a winter golf tour, and the mix of courses that we play on that tour are about 65% private (some very exclusive private courses) and 35% public.  The opportunity to play some of these exclusive private courses is a major motivating factor that prompted me to join this winter tour a few years ago (and the prize money and skins potential doesn’t hurt, as well).

Semper Fi, Brother Marine!

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 hour ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

If I lived where you do Carl, I would have a difficult time playing anywhere else... 

side note..  One of my guys won the SOGC last week.  

Congrats to him!  Winning that is an accomplishment!  I didn't play this year, but I did caddy for one of the players in the Seniors division.

Our Park District has two nice courses in pretty good condition. I can buy a senior season pass that covers both. I can play about 50 rounds a year for an average cost of less than $18 by walking. Then in January thru March I go to the Scottsdale-Mesa AZ. area and play 25 rounds at a Mesa muni for $40 a round...again by walking. 

I feel very fortunate!

I'm fortunate to have been a member of various private clubs since 1980. This year our club decided to increase our already hefty dues by another 30%.  I moved over to a nearby semi private club (with 10 other members) and couldn't be happier. We kept most of our Saturday group together and saved a ton of $$$. The savings gave me a chance to take 2 bucket list golf trips and more are planned.  I'll stay semi-private. 

Cheers,

KV