Shrink the Game.

Shankster

Ok, am I the only one noticing a very bad trend? We’ve been talking about it for a few months.  Golf courses seem to be full more often, clubs are sold out/shipping delays, no more chrome softs… price increases…

Is anyone not in the golf business enjoying this? 

Golf is slow as it is. Growing the game never made any sense to me.  For kids, yes let’s Grow it… but I’m ready for the game to shrink some.

You don’t see fishermen giving out their secret spots…

Fire away.

• Like 7

I think what's going on right now is still being driven by Covid. I'm not seeing more golfers, just more bodies on the course. Can't go to a bar? Skittish about being inside with friends? Well, it'll cost us a little more, but we can drink here! I think I got my dad's clubs somewhere, Kirklands are cheap, let's go pound some claws brah.  It's that crowd. I think a lot of these bodies will cycle back to their usual routine next year, fingers crossed were finally through this.

• Like 7

Take Dead Aim

This trend stinks. It is all COVID driven.

Courses are full because golf is one of the sports that remained open for the most part and there are no crowds and easy to social distance.

Clubs are in short supply partly due to the amount of people getting into golf at the same time.

Shipping delays are due to material and labor shortages. The government raised unemployment benefits and gave out stimulus checks which gave the lazies a reason to stay home and not work. Not enough dock workers has dramatically reduced the volume of ships getting into the harbors. I don't think I have ever seen so many places with help wanted signs out in my life.

Of course price increases are just people taking advantage of supply and demand.

To a small extent I saw this at my golf club. Covid = single rider carts. Let's now charge for carts since we have to charge them up more often because more are going out. Carts were included prior to 2020.  Once we went back to allowing two per cart they didn't remove the cart fee. Hey we made x amount this year on carts. Let's keep the extra revenue coming in. 

• Like 5

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

32 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This trend stinks. It is all COVID driven.

Courses are full because golf is one of the sports that remained open for the most part and there are no crowds and easy to social distance.

Clubs are in short supply partly due to the amount of people getting into golf at the same time.

Shipping delays are due to material and labor shortages. The government raised unemployment benefits and gave out stimulus checks which gave the lazies a reason to stay home and not work. Not enough dock workers has dramatically reduced the volume of ships getting into the harbors. I don't think I have ever seen so many places with help wanted signs out in my life.

Of course price increases are just people taking advantage of supply and demand.

To a small extent I saw this at my golf club. Covid = single rider carts. Let's now charge for carts since we have to charge them up more often because more are going out. Carts were included prior to 2020.  Once we went back to allowing two per cart they didn't remove the cart fee. Hey we made x amount this year on carts. Let's keep the extra revenue coming in. 

Heck you didn’t have cart fees before these last two years??? We’ve had them for years here I save nearly $10 a round by walking

• Like 4

Everyone talks about the need to grow the game and how ruling bodies, tour organizers, pro golfers need to do their part to grow the game.

The game sees a boom and people complain. 

I have no issues with the growth, the amount of people or lack of products. I can wait out order times, have balls without being considered hoarding. I don’t play courses that have had pace of play issues before last year so wait times dont impact me. Haven’t had trouble getting a tee time. May not always be my optimal choice for time but that’s just a minor inconvenience 

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Heck you didn’t have cart fees before these last two years??? We’ve had them for years here I save nearly $10 a round by walking

Never had cart fees before. I'm not complaining about the new cart fees it's only $6.00. It's more the way it was introduced. Blame the pandemic which is justified then when you allow two to a cart again you still keep it n place. Plus they raised guest fees by $5.00 because more people were coming out to play with members. So in my opinion it is taking advantage of a pandemic to increase your profits. 

I'm on a mountain type course walking is difficult. Every hole has elevation changes and I mean every hole. You can walk it and I have done it but I prefer not to. An old back injury prevents me from carrying. I use a three wheel on occasion but pushing or dragging it up the hills is rough. 

• Like 4

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Shrink the game?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47k8f7xv1tnquycm3d7h

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Yes.  I guess everyone likes parking lots and lack of equipment.  That’s fine.  

Have you seen the uptick in ridiculous Instagram accounts of the bunker jumping, and generally acting like a Jack wagon on the course…

I can do without all of that, and this “boom”… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Never had cart fees before. I'm not complaining about the new cart fees it's only $6.00. It's more the way it was introduced. Blame the pandemic which is justified then when you allow two to a cart again you still keep it n place. Plus they raised guest fees by $5.00 because more people were coming out to play with members. So in my opinion it is taking advantage of a pandemic to increase your profits. 

I'm on a mountain type course walking is difficult. Every hole has elevation changes and I mean every hole. You can walk it and I have done it but I prefer not to. An old back injury prevents me from carrying. I use a three wheel on occasion but pushing or dragging it up the hills is rough. 

Never let a crisis go to waste...

• Like 1
  • Love 3

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I'm genuinely embarrassed at the thought of a newer golfer looking for info online, considering joining MGS, and seeing this thread. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I think you are missing my point.  This influx will eventually go away some.  

Maybe I should change it to educate the game.  My last round out I don’t know how many bunkers I raked, divots I filled, pitch marks that I fixed… it sucks that people can’t clean up after themselves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

Maybe I should change it to educate the game.  My last round out I don’t know how many bunkers I raked, divots I filled, pitch marks that I fixed… it sucks that people can’t clean up after themselves.

This isn’t just a new golfer problem. This exists with seasoned golfers too. Even some of the seasoned golfers lack the knowledge of how to fix a pitch mark, replace a divot or use the sand/mix on the cart or rake bunkers 

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

If that's the point, maybe you should have said it in the first post instead of ragging on things that aren't even caused by the influx of new golfers, but you blamed them.

There are a lot of statements in this thread that I personally feel are ignorant of what's going on LITERALLY IN EVERY INDUSTRY but are choosing to put them on the shoulders of people who are new to taking up a game we all enjoy. 

I get there's a lot of frustrations out there with current conditions dragging on, believe me I'm there too, but a lot of this thread runs contrary to what I always thought this forum stood for.

• Like 3

Yeah.  I hear your points, they are valid, but I’d say mine are too.  So we got that going for us.  You cannot put 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yeah.  I hear your points, they are valid, but I’d say mine are too.  So we got that going for us.  You cannot put 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag.

Not to stir the pot on this one, but given varying density 10 lbs of something might take up the volume of 5 lbs of something else, but I degress

• Haha 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

Love the growth, hate that I cannot call a course 2 days before and get an early tee time 🤣 but again thats a me problem.

If anything COVID has given me its that I can walk which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE! 

Pitch marks and putter/feet dragging isnt a new thing, that crap happens with people that have been playing for years. 

As long as folks are yelling fore and letting me pass them I am happy.

• Like 5

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

13 hours ago, Shankster said:

Ok, am I the only one noticing a very bad trend? We’ve been talking about it for a few months.  Golf courses seem to be full more often, clubs are sold out/shipping delays, no more chrome softs… price increases…

Is anyone not in the golf business enjoying this? 

Golf is slow as it is. Growing the game never made any sense to me.  For kids, yes let’s Grow it… but I’m ready for the game to shrink some.

You don’t see fishermen giving out their secret spots…

Fire away.

Overall really really bad take here.

Yes I work in golf but everything I'm about to say absolutely IS NOT "what brings me and my course the most money" but what is best for golfers and the game as a whole.

The shipping issues are not just a golf problem. It is everywhere and in every category. Same goes for manufacturing and price increases. These issues are not isolated to golf. 

Yes I read your additional point that you also mean educate but as others have said, that is not a new problem and I promise you that experienced/regular golfer are far more of the issue there than newer players. 

In terms of your "Grow the game but only with kids" this is just a lazy take all together. If the goal is to get more kids playing golf then you need more adults playing golf to help them get more interested in the game. (On top of being willing to drive them to the golf course or wherever they are learning the game) 

You also say its slower than ever. For starters what is your idea of a "slow round"?  If I go out and survey the golfers at my current club (private country club) and my former club (public resort) an overwhelming majority will say a time for a slow round that is faster than the stated pace of play for that course. As someone who manages tee sheets on a daily basis I highly doubt the average pace of play has really changed all that much across the board or even. Yes there will be pockets where a course was basically empty before Covid and you could play 18 in 3 hours or less. Those courses aren't ballooning to daily 5 hour rounds though. 

Frankly I have yet to see you produce any truly valid points and I genuinely don't think any can be made that aren't meant to just benefit you personally.  

I really hate to be guy who rips into someone or something but this is just an all around horrible take. It goes against what I have always believed about sports as a whole (even before I was in the Golf Industry), against what MGS (and others communities like it) represent and against a lot of what golf as a whole needs to be healthy going forward.

I apologize if I'm coming off as harsh, rude or if I am attacking you personally but I can't in good conscience just let this go by without addressing it 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 (7.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 65 X Tipped 1.5" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T1 Position

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 (14.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 70 X Tipped 1" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T Position

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :mizuno-small: MP18 SC - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :mizuno-small: MP18 - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 - X100

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) 

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Honestly, you all can say and provide as much information and stats or whatever else you come up with.  My opinion is there is not enough room for as many people that are currently playing.  

my idea of a slow round is much different than anyone’s I’m sure.  

Im glad you think it is a “horrible take”… you have your opinion and that is wonderful. I also have mine, and I will stand by it.  But that may be “lazy.”

Worst thread in MGS history.

"Nah I don't want your facts, person in the industry, I just wanna complain about a bad take and double down on it".

I'm out. No room for this faux outrage in my life. Peace. 

• Like 4