Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Hilly Course, How Know When to Tee Off

peteco

Most courses I play are flat enough that we can see the group in front so we don’t hit into them. I just played a tournament on a very hilly course with several holes that the group behind could not see us (no one was in front of us). Afterwards they said it was frustrating as they waited longer than they would like to tee off so they wouldn’t hit us. Afterwards I thought, why didn’t we get set for one of us text one of them when it was safe to hit? Seems simple.

Pete

The course I play the most has a bell you ring after your second shot to alert those on the tee that it's clear for them to tee off on a very hilly hole. Another semi-private I play a few times a year actually has a periscope on one of the holes that you can use to determine when to hit. Kind of neat, and a little ingenious. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

11 minutes ago, peteco said:

Most courses I play are flat enough that we can see the group in front so we don’t hit into them. I just played a tournament on a very hilly course with several holes that the group behind could not see us (no one was in front of us). Afterwards they said it was frustrating as they waited longer than they would like to tee off so they wouldn’t hit us. Afterwards I thought, why didn’t we get set for one of us text one of them when it was safe to hit? Seems simple.

Agree with all of the comments.  Haver seen many bells and a periscope, at one course in SC I play on vacation.  tommc23 is right on.  You can always have somebody drive a cart up, and give the nod to those on the tee when it is clear to tee off.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Funny you mention the bell. This was my first time playing there and my teammate mentioned the bell hole. I thought he was referring to the shape of the fairway??? When we get to the bell the post and frame was there but the bell was gone. A nearby homeowner probably stole it as it would get old fast hearing it rung throughout the day. I didn’t realize until now what it was there for (duh).

Pete

My home course has 6 or 7 holes where you can't see the landing area from the tee. As a walking single I accidentally get hit into a lot as no one knows I'm there. My best advice is to just wait an extra 30 seconds or so before hitting. I am also assuming the fairway doesn't open back up so you can see the carts driving after hitting their second shots. If the course has gas carts, sometimes you can hear then engage.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

My home course has several bells.  They work quite well as long as players remember to ring them, which the vast majority do, but it's very easy to forget when your ball is the opposite side of the fairway and your focus is on finding your ball.

It an be difficult to hear them if it's windy though.

We have a lot of hilly courses here in the PNW.  In Spokane at Indian Canyon GC there is a short par 4 where you can't see the landing area and green.  Their mirror on the tee box is great to see where the group in front is located...

IMG_1278.jpeg.bdad6565b0cbf72af37a06c0ac154ceb.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”