TESTERS WANTED! ×

Gapping

thefullmonte

It's hard to talk about gapping in terms of yardage because we all hit certain clubs differently.  

One individual player has to work gapping issues out for him or herself because another's solution won't work for him or her.

Off the top of my head, I know my lofts but I'd have to look at them to notice the gaps. 

In this era of GPS, most of us know how long we usually hit anything when making decent contact under similar conditions. 

I have holes at certain distances in my game to be sure, but I live with that to include the clubs that I hit well.  If you hit everything well, you can plug those gaps using that as a criteria to configure your set.

The only gaps I can call up to mind immediately are 6° gaps between a 42° 9-iron through a 60° lob wedges.  In other words, 42-48-54-60.

I'd have to actually look at the others to compare them to the solutions offered by the Spys here.

Driver___12º  [only off tee]

Fwy Wd___16° [almost only off tee]

Fwy Wd___19°

Fwy Wd.__22°

Driving iron___20° [only off tee]

5-iron___27º

6-iron___30°

7-iron___34°

8-iron___38°

9-iron___42º

W1___48°

W2___54°

W3___60º [very few full shots]

When I actually look at it, the loft gaps aren't terribly distorted at all.   Nevertheless, there are some trick anomalies, not major ones,  in actual distances.

But I've got clubs that I feel I can hit so that's the priority.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

9 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

It's hard to talk about gapping in terms of yardage because we all hit certain clubs differently.  

One individual player has to work gapping issues out for him or herself because another's solution won't work for him or her.

The only gaps I can call up to mind immediately are 6° gaps between a 42° 9-iron through a 60° lob wedges.  In other words, 42-48-54-60.

We talk about gapping in terms of yardage because that is the gapping that matters and you can’t talk about a clubs loft because the balls go different distances.  

you talk about degrees of loft a lot but there is so much more that impacts distance.  I hit a lot of clubs every year as a most wanted tester and one that Head design, shaft length, total club weight, swing speed, and yes loft impact distance.  Different clubs with the same loft may have different launch angles, different spin characteristics, and may be swung differently by the player which will influence carry and overall distance.   Based on your swing speed you may need that 6* to get the necessary distance gaps.  Someone that swings faster may only need 2* between those clubs and someone that swings slower might be able to drop two of those clubs from their set.  Manufacturers also have different loft gaps between clubs within a set

you are correct, the player has to work things out for themselves.  Most of the issues with gapping fall at the long end if the bag because those clubs get harder to hit and the distance gaps get smaller due to poor contact. Here you start to talk about club design because irons, Fairway woods, and hybrids will all work differently.  The suggestions provided are just that suggestions since the player needs to actually go hit the club to see how well they hit the club and if the ball goes the right distance with the desired ball flight.  

Ultimately there are no rules on how a set needs to be setup for a player to accomplish their goals.  There are lots of things to consider and knowing a clubs loft is probably one of the last things a player needs to know.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

42 minutes ago, cnosil said:

There are lots of things to consider and knowing a clubs loft is probably one of the last things a player needs to know.  

You only need to know what they're supposed to be if you have them checked for loft and lie at the beginning of the season.

Our pro shop offers that service, so occasionally, people do that.

That would just be the irons and wedges.

You know the driver and the fairway woods lofts because the manufacturer publishes them, even though you don't do anything about them.

Unless they have those adjustable sleeves like many now have.

But of course, loft is but one of many factors that determine ball flight, the others being club design and quality of contact.

There's no question that a multi-piece 25° 5-iron is designed quite differently than a 32º classic blade 5-iron from 1960.

Is anybody even questioning that?  

A decision was made, when technology required changing loft settings, to keep the club numbers more in line [although not exactly] with the lengths of the clubs rather than the lofts.

They could have just as easily still stamped "5" instead of "7" on the 32° degree club

while making the very same modern club with no difference in the club other than the stamping,

They went the other way, but it was going to be different one way or the other, no matter what decision was made.

We observe the difference from that with which we grew up, but that's all that is is.  An observation.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

4 hours ago, BostonSal said:

You know the driver and the fairway woods lofts because the manufacturer publishes them, even though you don't do anything about them.

Actually you don’t unless it’s been digitally measured and provide to you. I have had drivers that were measured and be .75 and 1.5* off. I have a had several fairway woods any where from .5 to 1.2* off pictured is a 19* 5w measured at 18.5. Many drivers are upwards of 2* off. 

679CF781-B64A-4AEB-AB23-416781BBD0F9.jpeg

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Actually you don’t unless it’s been digitally measured and provide to you. I have had drivers that were measured and be .75 and 1.5* off. I have a had several fairway woods any where from .5 to 1.2* off pictured is a 19* 5w measured at 18.5. Many drivers are upwards of 2* off. 

679CF781-B64A-4AEB-AB23-416781BBD0F9.jpeg

That's interesting to know.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

12 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Manufacturing tolerances are great things 😁.  This potential variation applies to every club in the bag.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Manufacturing tolerances are great things 😁.  This potential variation applies to every club in the bag.  

Yeah. I think many will be surprised how big of a tolerance there is from the manufacturers for loft and lie and swing weight.  Most would probably be surprised that when they place custom orders for swing weights most manufacturers will try to come close but don’t guarantee it. One of the few companies that does a good job at that is Ping. They will also digitally measure if requested. If I order anything Ping I try to do it during demo days and let their reps submit the order so that if we do a non standard swing weight it will get submitted properly and done.

I’ve had wedges from Vokey and Cleveland be 2* off on loft. Both times they were weaker than stated loft

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

14 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is part of why I have a hard time buying fixed hosel clubs in the fairway woods and hybrids.  It's too easy to find yourself with two clubs with specs 3* or 4* apart, but maybe a degree apart in reality.

It can also be that way with adjustable clubs, but at least you can make an attempt to do something about it.  

The issue in drivers in the 90s and early-mid 2000s was truly bad.  It was fine for low trajectory players, but for those with naturally higher trajectories, it was a nightmare finding an OEM club you could actually hit.  It's why I spent so long in the component driver world (such as SMT); the components tended not to use the +3 or +4 and -0  tolerance that you'd see in OEM-land

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

27 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

This is part of why I have a hard time buying fixed hosel clubs in the fairway woods and hybrids.  It's too easy to find yourself with two clubs with specs 3* or 4* apart, but maybe a degree apart in reality.

It can also be that way with adjustable clubs, but at least you can make an attempt to do something about it.  

The issue in drivers in the 90s and early-mid 2000s was truly bad.  It was fine for low trajectory players, but for those with naturally higher trajectories, it was a nightmare finding an OEM club you could actually hit.  It's why I spent so long in the component driver world (such as SMT); the components tended not to use the +3 or +4 and -0  tolerance that you'd see in OEM-land

I try to avoid fixed fw too unless I’m ordering from a customer club builder and will try to buy tour versions because I know what I’m getting or unless I’m looking for one that is purely for going as far as possible.

The early to mid 2000s I couldn’t get a Callaway or TaylorMade driver that worked for me without having to go premium shaft.  I stuck with titleist and Ping for that reason. 

I heard rumors the media solheim would stamp lower lofts on the drivers to market to the golfers who so a 9* was 11-12* of loft. 

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I'm sure that that's true, but the irons and wedges are easily adjusted, especially now that we see less super hard stainless than a while back.

I guess with woods and hybrids, you get what you get,

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

4 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

I'm sure that that's true, but the irons and wedges are easily adjusted, especially now that we see less super hard stainless than a while back.

I guess with woods and hybrids, you get what you get,

As long as they are forged they can easily be bent, but anything can be broken.   

woods and hybrids can be bent but it takes some talent.  

31 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I heard rumors the media solheim would stamp lower lofts on the drivers to market to the golfers who so a 9* was 11-12* of loft. 

As the story was told on early golf forums, that was the Callaway practice.  Ping began doing that with the TiSI Tec, but they let you know about it with the "Effective Loft" thing.

After that, Ping was apparently aiming for a degree and a half higher than spec as their target.  Or so the story was 16+ years ago.  <shrug>

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Just now, NRJyzr said:

As the story was told on early golf forums, that was the Callaway practice.  Ping began doing that with the TiSI Tec, but they let you know about it with the "Effective Loft" thing.

After that, Ping was apparently aiming for a degree and a half higher than spec as their target.  Or so the story was 16+ years ago.  <shrug>

Yeah lots of those stories out there and the golfers ego hasn’t changed much over time either 😀

I can live with them missing a little weak, but if they miss strong on a 3-wood, it can be pretty useless.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

... This is quite factual and part of Ely's genius introducing the Big Bertha. Not only did he purposefully mislabel his heads, he also took a Regular flex shaft and labeled it Firm. This is one of the reasons Big Bertha's were on as much as a 6 month* back order and players were happy to wait. For the first time an average ego driven golfer was hitting his 9* driver with a stiff shaft higher and farther, blissfully unaware he was actually playing a 12* driver with a regular flex shaft. 

* having a 4 year product cycle made the 6 month wait more than tolerable. Ely also protected his supply and demand. While in Chicago I would visit golf stores with zero Big Bertha inventory other than a club or 2 in back waiting to be picked up. I spent a winter in LA for Pilot Season and visited a local shop quite often becoming friends with the owner and one day he showed me his storage area with about 50 Big Bertha's but Ely would only let him sell 10 drivers a month to keep the demand high. The guy was a marketing savant. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 9/17/2021 at 2:26 AM, thefullmonte said:

So I’m thinking first step is to replace current 13.5 3W with a 16.5 (Titleist) or 17 (TM HL)

from there is gets dicey.  Thinking a 5 wood is likely dumb.  

7W?

2H and 5H?  Like to have something with a little better control into long par 3’s

I have been through the same issues. Went with a 5 wood and have never looked back. 

On 9/13/2021 at 11:24 PM, thefullmonte said:

With the driver taken care of, I’m working on retooling the rest of the big sticks in the bag.

I have carried a Ping G 3W (13.5*) for many years, and while the good shots with it are BOMBS…it leaves too much to be desired with consistency.  Essentially, if I’m leaving the driver in the Bag…I darn sure better find a fairway.  

From there, it’s a 3H (19*) and then 4 iron.  Both have their good days and bad days.  But primarily concerned that the 3H has the same issue as the 3H:  good ones are BOMBS that make playing partners say “wow,” and way too many that make them go “WTF were you aiming at?”

so the goal here is to stop caring as much about distance, and put together a top end of the bag that has at least ONE club I can count on when it’s a low margin of error shot.

Currently considering something like a 5W….then maybe a new Hybrid?  But a 3? 4? 5?

If the Ping 3 fwy is producing bad shots and no confidence; get rid of it.  Start with a 15 degree fairway club.

Getting back to gapping of golf clubs--Fairways and Hybrids should have a 3 degree loft gap from club to club and irons a 4 degree loft gap from club to club

58 minutes ago, EWPRO said:

Fairways and hybrids should have a 3 degree loft gap from club to club and irons have a 4 degree gap from club to club.

According to who? Some manufactures have 3* gaps in long irons and 4 in short, others have 4&5*

For fairway and hybrids loft on the club is nothing more than that. Someone who delivers more dynamic launch at contact will need different degree gapping than someone who delivers less. Also if someone gets a fw from one brand that’s known for hit faces and gets a hybrid from a brand whose design is more about distance control the gap may be larger. Getting fit is the best way to figure out what works. 

I was fit into a Ping g410 19* hybrid and g410 17.5* 5w set to 17 with plus 1/2” length because those setups fit my gaps for what I needs from those spots in the bag.

I’ve been wondering about adding a stronger hybrid the last couple days.  But it’s had for me to imagine hitting that anything close to as well as I have the 5W and 5H the last week.

Is it wise at all to chase 15-20 extra yards on maybe 1-2 holes a week at the risk of something you aren’t nearly as consistent with?

I was in this same boat… and started tinkering around with a 4w or 5w, different hybrids and all sorts of stuff at the top end of the bag…

then I did a real fitting… and they moved me right back to 3w, 4h, 5 iron and all that actually needed to change was my shafts… got me great yardage, more consistent contact, less dispersion even with a lesss forgiving club head, and better miss hits… don’t tinker too much you’ll save tons of $$ with a good neutral party fitting 

Mike Thibideau
Driver: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5
4-wood: :callaway-small: Epic Speed 16.5 
4-hybrid: :taylormade-small: R15 21
Irons 5-P: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max
Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 46, 50, 54, 60
Shoes: :travis-mathew-1:MoneyMaker, Nike Roche G
Glove: Asher Golf
Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft, :callaway-small: Supersoft (conditions dependent)

Found a pic of a digitally measured .9.5* m1 tour driver I have that’s measured at 10.6

04D9C574-FFE0-4C9D-BE96-BCEBF9294829.jpeg

One very nice aspect to buying Tour Issue sticks, you know what you're getting in terms of specs.  🙂

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

One very nice aspect to buying Tour Issue sticks, you know what you're getting in terms of specs.  🙂

Yeah but you also pay a premium price for it. Tour head for drivers are going to be around $700 without a shaft.

i was lucky to get the m1 head last year for a lot less than that.