TESTERS WANTED! ×

Newbie Golfer

FlyingFin

Hi there!

A colleague of mine keeps tempting me more and more to start golfing, so here I am. These past few weeks I've been reading up on tons of stuff and watching youtube videos on golf, which I'd never have thought I would ever do.

Obviously, I've also been scouring the local used markets and thrift stores for clubs, as I don't want to spend too much before even knowing what kind of clubs I like to play with.

My question is if it's worth looking at older used sets of irons, like the Ping Zing 2, for example. I have been offered a nice looking 2-9 black dot set for about 30 bucks, but I have no idea if these sort of older clubs from like 20 years ago would be frustratingly hard to hit and I'd just end up buying something else anyway. It seems that the Zing 2s are sort of forgiving by design though, unlike other old clubs I've seen around here such as MacGregors or Karsten 1s.

I live in Europe, so I am firstly trying local used gear before checking out Ebay as shipping and possibly customs fees can be pretty killing.

I'd appreciate some guidance on if it's worth pursuing older sets of clubs or whether I should just stick to newer ones in the beginning as I have no actual golfing experience. Well, mini golf is another story of course.

Thanks in advance!

/Fin

Driver: Big Bertha Ti 454
Irons: Wilson XLS Profile 6-P
Wedges: Titleist DCI Black 56 SW

Those irons are fine and at that price hard to pass up. They are a set that you should be fine playing with for awhile until you decide if golf is for you. 

For drivers, fairway woods and hybrids anything that’s in the last 5 years of release will be fine and even finding something like a Taylormade RBZ would be a good choice.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Welcome to the forums and to golf @FlyingFin!  I hope you enjoy the game and stick with it; it's a life experience!

As @RickyBobby_PR said, the Zings at that price will be a good set.  As a newbie, I would look for a 3-4 wood and hybrid around 20º and maybe 24º if you have trouble getting the longer irons elevated.  The RBZ woods can still compete with new clubs; I still play them.  I wouldn't think about buying a driver until you can reliably hit a fairway wood.

You didn't mention wedges and putter.  I think these are very personal.  Your Zing2 9i is 43º so you should look for 48º and something around 54-56º.  Don't think about a lob wedge.  You can try out different putters if there is a store nearby.  Lots to choose from, but get the correct length for you.  Putters have different weights; find what feels the best to you.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks a lot for the input @Kenny Band @RickyBobby_PR! I really do appreciate it a lot!

I am considering the Zings due to the price. I've also come across a guy selling a set of Callaway X-Series N415 5-P+ a WIlson Putter for about 140 bucks. All in a simple bag. That's temping as well, but I don't know about that N415 set, looks like it's some kind of "value" offering that Callaway is pushing. Wonder if it'd be worth it compared to the storied Pings?

Oh, and good to know about the driver not being necessary for now. I'll go hunt for a hybrid and a FW wood once I get some irons sorted!

Thanks again guys!

/Fin

22 minutes ago, FlyingFin said:

Thanks a lot for the input @Kenny Band @RickyBobby_PR! I really do appreciate it a lot!

I am considering the Zings due to the price. I've also come across a guy selling a set of Callaway X-Series N415 5-P+ a WIlson Putter for about 140 bucks. All in a simple bag. That's temping as well, but I don't know about that N415 set, looks like it's some kind of "value" offering that Callaway is pushing. Wonder if it'd be worth it compared to the storied Pings?

Oh, and good to know about the driver not being necessary for now. I'll go hunt for a hybrid and a FW wood once I get some irons sorted!

Thanks again guys!

/Fin

I don’t know about those irons either. Putters can be had for cheap if you look and most will do the job just fine. For putter just find one that fits the length and that looks good to you 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The Callaways have newer technology and will be easier to hit IMO.  Mishits off the sweet spot will go further.  The lofts are stronger; e.g., the Cally PW at 44º is similar to the Zing2 9i at 43º.  Are the shafts steel or graphite?  What flex?  You don't want shafts that are too flexible for your swing speed.

I don't recommend buying a putter without first trying several for fit, feel and looks.  You should be able to find a putter used that you like for not much.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Both sets you're looking at sound reasonable for someone new to golf. The Callaway's will certainly look more modern and more "normal" over the Ping Zings. However, both will perform reasonably well. If you like the look of the bag and putter with the Callaway set, then it would certainly be a good deal. Shafts shouldn't be a big issues as long as they are steel. It's important to not get too worked up about your first set as it will likely be temporary if you decide to keep playing. If you decide you like golf, it won't be long until you're looking to upgrade or get a better fitting set. You might also get lucky and find one of these sets fits you really well and you don't need to replace them anytime soon. 

Whatever you do, just make sure to get out and golf. You won't truly know what you want and need until you play a fair amount of golf. The bare minimum need is a few clubs, a putter, and some (or lots of) balls.

With any used clubs, check the condition of the grips. You may find that they have gone hard. They are easily replaced so not a issue. 

Secondly, do yourself a favour and sign up for lessons.  3-5 lessons should get you to a basic level and will result hopefully in your enjoyment of the sport.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

@FlyingFin if you havent done so yet, go to the range! I would ask your buddy whos trying to get you golfing to take you. A lot of courses state side have rental clubs. Maybe borrow some old clubs from a friend. We took a coworker out for his first round last year, after a range session. He could have played just as good with Dr, 5w, 7i, pw, 54° putter as the full set he borrowed. Everything went about 90 yards anyway. 

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for all the wonderful replies!

It turns out that I managed to borrow a Wilson XLS set with a bag from another friend who just had it lying around. This set seems ok for the time being, while I learn how to properly golf. It has a driver, hybrid, 3 wood, irons and a putter.

I have some simulator session booked with the friend who is pushing me to start, and we will take it from there. Over here you need a Green Card in order to golf, of which I've completed the theory already. The remaining part is the practical playing session, to get an initial handicap.

I can already see that this coming winter will be spent honing skills on a future putting mat and possibly some chipping in the backyard. Youtube has more than enough drills. As soon as next season rolls around, I will be booking a couple lessons with a pro as well as getting a membership to a club.

Again, thank you so much for all your help, and I'm excited to be around the forums more once I can contribute 🙂

4 hours ago, FlyingFin said:

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for all the wonderful replies!

It turns out that I managed to borrow a Wilson XLS set with a bag from another friend who just had it lying around. This set seems ok for the time being, while I learn how to properly golf. It has a driver, hybrid, 3 wood, irons and a putter.

I have some simulator session booked with the friend who is pushing me to start, and we will take it from there. Over here you need a Green Card in order to golf, of which I've completed the theory already. The remaining part is the practical playing session, to get an initial handicap.

I can already see that this coming winter will be spent honing skills on a future putting mat and possibly some chipping in the backyard. Youtube has more than enough drills. As soon as next season rolls around, I will be booking a couple lessons with a pro as well as getting a membership to a club.

Again, thank you so much for all your help, and I'm excited to be around the forums more once I can contribute 🙂

Sounds like you have a plan and that's good!  

If I may make a suggestion... rather than wait until next season to take lessons, start inquiring now about teaching pros in your area.  Go talk to several; see if you have good feelings about one specifically.  It's important to have a good relationship with the pro.  I would also suggest that you take a lesson so the pro has an understanding of what is your biggest swing issue, and can give you some basic drills to work on over the winter.  By next spring you will be further ahead of where you will be from watching YouTube videos.  Your assessment of how you are doing after watching videos is likely not reality, and you run the risk of engraining flaws that have to be un-learned when you start in the spring.  

Good luck on your golfing journey.  Be sure to post back to let us k ow how you are doing!!!