Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

cg back high moi lower loft vs cg forward

JosephM

Hi all! A question has been bugging me for awhile, so I came across this article: 
https://mygolfspy.com/golf-club-center-of-gravity-cg/
and had the following question pop up:

say a tsi2 is more forgiving than a tsi3 with it's cg back and higher moi, and thus launches a bit higher with more spin, but also more forgiviness on off-center hits via less twisting less ball speed loss, if i then took a 9 degree tsi2 vs a 10 degree tsi3, wouldn't launch conditions start becoming closer together? Then in what case would I choose a tsi3 over a tsi2 if i can achieve similar spin and launch and more forgiviness with a tsi2 by lofting down a bit? 

Hope I worded my question correctly, this has been bugging me for awhile, thanks!

IMO, it is technically possible but the head designs are slightly different so you will ultimately swing them differently and possibly get different results than what you described.  Companies categorize equipment all time but that doesn’t mean you will cause the club to perform in that manner.   Shafts that are low launch low spin may in fact be high/high for you.   This is why most people advocate fittings,  the fitter evaluates and tests the things you are asking about to get you actual results. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@cnosil really nailed it. Things performs differently for different people.

A golfer that swings 100 mph with a quick transition and an early release will get a different result than someone with a 100 mph swing with a smooth transition and late release.

How the clubhead makes contact and where on the face contact is made is going to influence numbers differently as well. Weight, balance, feel and even look at address all influence how a person swings and that will influence things as well.

I’m also in the camp of why the fitting is important and will get a golfer in a setup that optimizes their ball flight and reduce the penalty/impact of their normal miss

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The way the head and shaft work with each other is a dynamic issue. Technically a more forward CG would reduce the amount of dynamic loft added by the shaft all things being equal. So in theory, a higher lofted club with more forward CG could play similarly to a lower lofted club with more rearward CG from a loft perspective. However, this is all in theory and assumes the only difference is CG which is not the only differences between the TSi2 and TSi3. The reality is that we don't know the exact specs of the Titleist drivers and even if we did, it would very difficult to exactly predict what would happen even if the ball was struck perfectly every time. Getting fit is the only way to determine what club head would work best for you.

If questions about clubhead design interest you, I highly recommend Ralph Maltby's book The Complete Book of Golf Club Fitting & Performance. In this book Ralph Maltby explains the physics and club design elements for every facet of the club. I also like Wishon's books about club fitting. If you read through the Maltby book(s) and Wishon's club fitting book, you will understand 95% of the core concepts behind club design and fitting. However, it is still beneficial to see a good club fitter as they will have the more practical experience with the clubs and shafts available today and get you into the right club. 

Ultimately, golf is a very dynamic game where measuring and estimating performance is nearly impossible to do without real world testing. 

39 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

The reality is that we don't know the exact specs of the Titleist drivers and even if we did, it would very difficult to exactly predict what would happen even if the ball was struck perfectly every time. Getting fit is the only way to determine what club head would work best for you.

This too. The stamped loft is rarely the actual loft. I have had ping, titleist and TM tour heads along with and they were anywhere from .5 to just over 1* different than the stamped loft. 

As an added note to my earlier post meant to include forgiveness is nothing that can be definitive. For some more spin will be forgiving because they don’t produce enough while it will be detrimental for those who have enough, and vice versa when it comes to low spin. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1