Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Loft overlaps in the set--do you have them?

BostonSal

My driving iron definitely overlaps with my fairway wood in loft, but I don't regard this as a problem.

They serve completely different functions.

When I was struggling with sand shots even worse than I usually do, I used to bag a sand specialty wedge which was a loft overlap with a wedge that i hit from the turf.

Not doing that right now, but I've done it on a short term basis.

Although I've never done it myself, I've seen people bag a chipper that falls somewhere near the longer-shafted middle irons in loft

I also knew a guy who bagged a draw driver and a fade driver.  I think that the draw driver

had a bit more loft in addition to a different face angle, but they were both definitely drivers.

At the same time, we're arbitrarily limited to fourteen clubs, so overlaps at one end can result in missing links at the other.

I'm down to one right now:  fairway wood and driving iron.

Do other MGS have overlaps?   Not recommending it.   Just curious.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

This thread really drew no attention.

Either nobody had loft overlaps in their respective sets,

or if they did, they didn't feel like talking about it.

MGS members like to talk about some of the technical aspects of clubheads and shafts,

but set configuration doesn't seem be a popular topic.

It may be because so many of them are the same.

Driver.

Fairway Wood.

Two Hybrids

5-9

PW, GW, SW, LW

Putter.

Or maybe not.    I obviously don't know.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I swap out wedges a lot. While not the same loft, I have 2 lob wedges that are only 2 degrees apart, but I hit the stronger lofted one about 25 yards farther instead of the 5 yards I would expect based solely on loft difference. Different shafts and different weighting seem to account for the difference. 
I sometimes see pro WITB with 2 clubs with the same loft or maybe just a degree difference. It’s usually a hybrid and a fairway wood. Sometimes an iron and a hybrid. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I have a 17 deg hybrid, 20 deg iron, 22 deg hybrid, 25 deg hybrid, and 26.5 deg iron. Occasionally I'll get crazy and throw my 16.5 deg 3 wood in the bag. Use clubs that produce the distances and trajectories you need. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I haven't found myself with overlaps.  The closest I've gotten is carrying a 2h and 3w, which for a couple rounds were only 2.5* apart, based on specs and adapter adjustments.  No idea how close together they really were.  😉

They gave me a decent gap at the top of the bag   <shrug>

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft