Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Fresh off PXG fitting

Chris1

Okay so just have about an hour in a half fitting done at the PXG store.  Meh.  I guess I was not sure what to expect but it was okay and much better then the last Titleist Thursday fitting I had years back.  I ended up buying the 0211 irons but still really do not know how I feel about them.  I also bought the Gen 4 woods in 3,5,7, I hit the Hybrid like crap.  Super reasonable price right now so I figured it would be worth a go.  I went in thinking Gen 4 irons or maybe Gen 3 but really hit the cheaper ones the best.  I think I am still going to hit up the local pro shop and have them fit me for some other irons just to see if I hit something better.  My guess is that lessons and practice is going to help more though.  I feel like you really need to spend sometime hitting and can't be rushed to try stuff.  My fitter did not rush me but I was on my own time limit but still got to hit some different shafts and play around. 

0211 may cost less than the 0311 line but they are every bit as good and fit nicely into what PXG has done. The 0211 has positive reviews across forums and other social media outlets. IMO they are underrated.

Curious what your expectations going in were other than wanting to be able to play/fit into the more players/higher priced clubs?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Well I guess I'm not sure what I was expecting.  The fitting was fine I think I am just 2nd guessing my irons because there really wasn't a huge difference in my 20 year old pings and the new 0211 that I bought, according to the numbers on the trackman.  I think I just need to get out and play them on the course and see how they feel and work.  I am not a good ball striker so there is going to be a learning curve but at $700 for the set I guess I really don't care.  If I don't like them I can always sell them for a couple hundred less.

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Curious what your expectations going in

Yeah same question .. what are you looking for in new clubs??

Another option is a brand-agnostic, Independent, fitter .. eg. Club Champion, True Spec, Cool Clubs .. if there is one in your area.

And agreed, yes - more lessons are always a good thing!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

50 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

Well I guess I'm not sure what I was expecting.  The fitting was fine I think I am just 2nd guessing my irons because there really wasn't a huge difference in my 20 year old pings and the new 0211 that I bought, according to the numbers on the trackman.  I think I just need to get out and play them on the course and see how they feel and work.  I am not a good ball striker so there is going to be a learning curve but at $700 for the set I guess I really don't care.  If I don't like them I can always sell them for a couple hundred less.

Is this your first fitting?

Did you do any research about what fittings are like, what to expect and how to get the most out of the fitting?

Did you rocked the fitting would give you clubs that would make you a better golfer right away?

Seems like money isn’t an issue but if you had a so so experience why spend the money right on the spot instead of telling the fitter you would like some time to think about everything?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You're not the first person that has had a fitting, bought the clubs, then had second guesses and negative thoughts.  It always baffles me that if you're not happy during the fitting, why make the purchase?

Assuming that the fitter dialed in the right shaft and clubheads for you, go out and enjoy them.  Trust that the clubs are fit for you and work on your swing.  By your own admission, you're not a good ball striker -- why not?  Have you taken lessons?  If it's not the clubs, what is your next step in improving your game?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Like noted above, trust the fitting and go play the clubs.  Then after a couple months of playing them, you'll be able to make a more informed decision.  And some lessons wouldn't hurt any of us.  Have fun with the new irons.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I read Chris saying he has been fit before. If he’s like many of us he left the fitting happy and a few days later rethought.

I’m sure the irons will be fine and you’re going to love the fairway woods. 

Let us know how they work out. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD