TESTERS WANTED! ×

GPS vs Arccos or shotscope

I am thinking of dropping my Arccos with my subscription coming due and am looking at options for a gps unit vs getting shotscope to still track my game.  Is the Garmin s60 still viable or is the s62 that much better? Would the s42 still work well, I don’t need fancy.”, although the watch would replace my Apple Watch. Like sky caddie but again a subscription there after 3 years. Shotscope no subscription but how good is the gps? Or would a phone app like GHIN work better as that also lets me keep a handicap? I have The Grint but heard that handicaps from them won’t be recognized in the future. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

9 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I am thinking of dropping my Arccos with my subscription coming due and am looking at options for a gps unit vs getting shotscope to still track my game.  Is the Garmin s60 still viable or is the s62 that much better? Would the s42 still work well, I don’t need fancy.”, although the watch would replace my Apple Watch. Like sky caddie but again a subscription there after 3 years. Shotscope no subscription but how good is the gps? Or would a phone app like GHIN work better as that also lets me keep a handicap? I have The Grint but heard that handicaps from them won’t be recognized in the future. 

Not sure about the garmin models but I can attest to the GHIN GPS app - I use it all the time  - I also spent the $40. or the green's book but haven't really used it since I'm pretty familiar with the greens on our course. I do plan to use the Greens unction in Florida. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I haven't missed the Arccos since I dropped it.  I think they have a free version as well.  I've been using the GHIN app and mainly been tracking my stats on my scorecard then entering them later.  I have found it helps me stay more engaged in the round.  I'm not looking at my phone which then distracts me with messages and notifications.  I enter all the stats at the end of the round and I'm good to go.  Hope that helps.  Plus the saving of $100 can go to a round or two!

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

I love my shot scope and the accuracy is great with manual putt mode. In my opinion the level of detail and how it is presented is miles ahead of Arccos now that it has full Strokes Gained data. Having the watch give you front, middle, and back from anywhere on the course (even other holes) without needing to mess with a phone is great. The phone GPS has a few benefits like measuring to a landing spot or blind shots. Shot scope added a feature to measure to layup distances, but seeing an overhead map of the hole is helpful and I still enter my score and basic stats to reference for post round editing in Shot Scope as well as keeping my index. 

I don't see why you would opt not to track shot level data when it is the same price is most other basic GPS watches with no subscription as someone wanting to improve your game. With a bit of work, you can also calculate your scoring average by tee club in Shot Scope. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 2 months later...

I've used Arccos. Shotscope V2, Garmin Approach G5  and recently Skycaddie SX550

First things first anything that uses the GPS on your smartphone will not be as accurate as a dedicated GPS unit. 5-10m for a smartphone c.f. the dedicate GPS of 1-2m.  The more satellites your unit acquires the more accurate the measurements will be. This is why Arccos have brought out the Link.  Next is the course maps most of the Golf GPS vendors use satellite images of courses, depending on resolution and source of the maps these can be inaccurate particularly on green and hazard definition.

• SX550,  if you want the best map accuracy and the biggest screen then this is the unit, I have it mounted on my electric trolley. Negative you still have a subscription but normally this means your course maps are up to date. Intelligreen is a marketing gimmick IMO and only limited courses are mapped. AFAIK Skycaddie are the only company that walk and map the courses. Myriad of options including crore recording, non-conforming club selection, shot recording. Not really a game analytics tool.
  • Garmin G5 I still use and if I'm carrying will clip it on my bag. Light, small screen, feature limited. The only Garmin I looked at was the G80 bigger screen and had the launch monitor but opted for Mevo as launch monitor and stayed with Skycaddie for GPS.
  • Arccos, I have Arccos Caddie 360 sensors but have stopped using them for the last year. Obtained a lot of data on my long game but when it came to trying to look at approaches and chipping without Link it was a waste of time. I also was finding I was focusing on the analytics more than my game. I never relied on yardages or Caddie and fell back to Skycaddie and justed used Arccos for gathering data on my game. Like the data analytics better than Shotscope.
  • Shotscope, A lot of the quirks with Shotscope V2 have been updated I'm led to believe in V3. It does have dedicated GPS in the watch so will have the better accuracies than Arccos. Haven't look at the analytics for a year so need to have a look and see if they have improved.

I'm thinking of going back and collecting more data on my game and the choice is do I invest in Arccos Link or buy Shotscope V3. At the moment it looks like Shotscope.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I don’t think GPS is to be compared to Arccos. One is a distance measurement and the other is a Sara collection system plus DME. Your thoughts would be appreciated.  

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

Look at the Garmin Approach S20 Watch.   You can find one online for around $200 to $250.   I have been using one for about a year.   It syncs with the Garmin  Golf App on your smartphone.  It collects distance for all shots hit (excluding putts).   I learns your distances and starts prompting for the club you may have hit from a certain distance.  After the round, you can sync with the app and see every shot you hit super-imposed over the course layout, hole by hole.   it also allows you to tracks GIR, fairways, and putts.   It  will also aggregate stats for particular courses that you play often.    

There is no annual subscription or fee.  

I use mine as an every day watch, as well.  It is small enough to not be bulky.  It only needs to be charged about once a week (no golf), or about every 3 rounds or so.   It also tracks steps and sleep as a side benefit (syncing with the GARMIN smartphone app).   It recharges in about an hour.   

I have the Garmin S60 series watch, too.  But the S20 is a better every-day watch, and the battery lasts 3 to 4 times longer. 

My opinion.   

Edited by saz0418
corrections

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

Hi, I have been using the S62 Garmin watch for a year and I am very happy with it in so many ways. I also have the Garmin CT10 sensors on all my clubs that are connected to the watch so it is totally integrated and uploaded to my Garmin Golf app that records every shot. Before the S62 Garmin watch, I tried using SwingU which was very good but slowed me down because I was always looking at my cell phone. The Garmin watch speeds up my round dramatically because it tracks my strokes, even putts, and accurately keeps score (you can easily edit it if you take an extra hit and you can always go back to a previous hole and add or subtract a penalty or whatever). I also use the watch as my everyday watch plus it is great for recording workouts like swimming laps (even indoors) and biking trips with all kinds of stats. I never had a Garmin before but I have been thrilled. I makes me a better golfer with the accurate yardages. Only rarely did I have a problem connecting to a satellite. As for charging, it charges very quickly and I can golf at least two 18 hole rounds and still not have to recharge it but every 3 or 4 days. Also, because it is linked to my cell phone, it gives me alerts of any calls, emails or text messages which is super convenient. Even Twitter messages display on it but it is not obtrusive atl all! (no, I don't have any connection with Garmin whatsoever but I appreciate good products and services and wish to convey my experience.

New Avid Golfer 

Garmins are excellent. I have used several models. Most recently, the s60. Currently, however, I use shotscope v3, with shot tracking. It is very easy to track every shot and the statistics and analytics are excellent. Plus, at $179, with no subscription, it is an amazing bargain. I also much prefer the way that shotscope presents distances to bunkers and hazards to the Garmin. If you just want GPS, shotscope also offers the G3, which is only $129.

Driver: image.jpeg.e446bd483f55f864625f0214a6f0a0cc.jpeg M5 Tour - 9* EvenFlow White 65, 6.5

3 wood: :titelist-small: TS2 15* degree EvenFlow White 75, 6.5

Hybrid: image.jpeg.e446bd483f55f864625f0214a6f0a0cc.jpeg SIM Max 19 Tensei CK Pro Blue 90 TX 

Irons:image.png.f39ca0723463243d8b97c536861568ed.pngEpic Forged 5-A, Aerotech Steelfiber fc90

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 - 50* 54* 60*

Putter: image.jpeg.b8329ade9a91708e1ab3934981395cad.jpeg Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I have the Garmin S60 and a Leupold w/slope range finder. I think this combo is perfect for my game.

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

I dropped Arccos immediately. Not worth the problems and it won't work with all phones. I have a Garmin S20 watch and Bushnell Pro XE scope. Unless you're a PGA Tour Pro, you don't need Trackman or anything like it! Don't waste your money.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

i guess i'm sort of biased on this --- i've only had Arccos, and i got it almost 2 years ago.  The data analytics are awesome, stats are awesome, the strokes gained thing is awesome.  I'm just really impressed with the whole package.  And i know it's got its shortcomings, especially on shot detection in sand traps and putting.  But outside of having my own caddie keep up with that stuff for me, i'm fine with it.  i'm a single-digit handicapper, and the highest praise i can give it is when i go on golf trips to strange courses and i completely rely on the caddie function to tell me what's best for me in the situation.  I haven't really thought about any of the others because from what i've read the others don't seem to have the analytical features of Arccos.

Just started with Shot Scope V3 with tags.  Also have used Golf Shot GPS on the phone for almost 500 rounds.  Also have Bushnell V3 slope.  Seems like a lot, but I am doing different things with each one and don't use them all on every shot.  Rangerfinder almost exclusively to find the exact pin range. Shot Scope (SS) to track club distances/tendencies and pretty precise data to help me figure out where i need to work on things.  The Golf shot is to see a map of the hole, keep score, post to GHIN, layup spots on par 5s.  These things are very useful on courses you have never played before, plus it make s a great history.  I think that course management and strategy is way overlooked.  I believe those are free shots or advantages that many people just don't utilize.  I am always trying to play the hole the smartest way, not just get the ball as close to the hole I can with every single shot.  Way too many people pull driver on every hole, 3W on every Par 5 second shot.  You don't want to get paralyzed with data, just have the right info so you feel confident.

Cheers

Tigger

I really like my Arccos and haven't had any issues using it with my Apple watch. I don't use it much during the round though. I just use it for stats afterward.  I am curious though about Shot Scope. From the stats perspective, what does Shot Scope do better than Arccos?

As for the range finder, that's what I lean on during the round.  I've been using the Garmin Z82 and think it's a complete game changer. It gives you laser yardage to pins, bunkers, whatever and then the "magic" is that it shows you that point on a map with all the hazards and green shape etc.... So front/middle/ back is shown along with where the pin is.  I'm hitting probably 3 more GIR from being smarter about which club to hit vs just having a pin distance with my old Bushnell laser. To be fair, the Bushnell gets the yardage faster and works better for a simple yardage, but being able to see my real yardage on a map is so much better. 

I've tried to use the phone based "real" yardage but never fully trust them. maybe the map is off, maybe the GPS point is slightly off etc... I really like the exact laser yardage that I get from a laser range finder. With the Z82 showing it to me on the map it's the best of both worlds!

If I had to pick just one smart device to use it would be the Z82. 

I cannot compare Shotscope V3 to others, but I can relate what I believe to be its strengths and weaknesses.

Shotscope works best on full-swing shots. The aggregate stats are very insightful, both for length and dispersion. But... one must be sure to tag shots as "positional" when, for example, one punches a 4-iron from under trees into the fairway or else that shot can erode the full swing 4-iron stats.

One should be diligent entering the number of putts. And even then, much post-round editing may be needed to reflect distance and direction of putts. I find it more trouble than it is worth so ignore putting stats excepts for gross number of putts per hole. I do not need Shotscope to tell me I stink!

On course the watch is useful. Its yardage will differ from partners phones by 2-3%, but I believe the Shotscope is more accurate. That said, some phone apps give more intuitive depictions of trouble (water, traps, etc.). The new layup numbers are useful.

Shotscope club RF buttons are a bit fragile. They break off (for me) maybe one every 20 rounds. I now epoxy them to the butt of each club and when I need to regrip, I will need new buttons. But the price is reasonable.

The aggregate stats are the most useful. The "Performance Distance" figures toss out obvious mis-hits for each clubs yardage stats. (Note to Shotscope: It would be instructive to know what percentage of each clubs strikes are tossed out for Performance Distance. IOW, how many mis-hits do I hit?).

Overall, I am very happy with Shotscope V3. For $250 this holiday ( Practical Golf), I endorse it.

13 hours ago, hriehl1 said:

I cannot compare Shotscope V3 to others, but I can relate what I believe to be its strengths and weaknesses.

Shotscope works best on full-swing shots. The aggregate stats are very insightful, both for length and dispersion. But... one must be sure to tag shots as "positional" when, for example, one punches a 4-iron from under trees into the fairway or else that shot can erode the full swing 4-iron stats.

One should be diligent entering the number of putts. And even then, much post-round editing may be needed to reflect distance and direction of putts. I find it more trouble than it is worth so ignore putting stats excepts for gross number of putts per hole. I do not need Shotscope to tell me I stink!

On course the watch is useful. Its yardage will differ from partners phones by 2-3%, but I believe the Shotscope is more accurate. That said, some phone apps give more intuitive depictions of trouble (water, traps, etc.). The new layup numbers are useful.

Shotscope club RF buttons are a bit fragile. They break off (for me) maybe one every 20 rounds. I now epoxy them to the butt of each club and when I need to regrip, I will need new buttons. But the price is reasonable.

The aggregate stats are the most useful. The "Performance Distance" figures toss out obvious mis-hits for each clubs yardage stats. (Note to Shotscope: It would be instructive to know what percentage of each clubs strikes are tossed out for Performance Distance. IOW, how many mis-hits do I hit?).

Overall, I am very happy with Shotscope V3. For $250 this holiday ( Practical Golf), I endorse it.

I can help with your question on Performance Average Distance. The purpose of P-Avg is to provide a distance of a good swing and good strike. So whilst I can't tell you the exact algorithm we probably remove around 70% of shots to provide that distance. Obviously the more rounds you play the more accurate it becomes. 

15 hours ago, hriehl1 said:

Couldn't disagree more with the sensor comment. I've had mine 4 years and never broke a sensor. This year I gave my cart a push that was just too strong and it hit a power cart and flipped my bag. No issues with the sensors. They look quite worn from rubbing the bottom of my bag but all work. Over those 3.5 seasons I have approx 100 rounds used. Not to mention extra usage at home on short game and in my sim. 

Using manual putting mode greatly improved the accuracy for me. I may need to adjust a few putt lengths but the number is always correct. Putting is one of the largest differentiators between Shot Scope and Arccos in terms of accuracy. This also contaminates your short game and approach numbers in Arccos unless you get Link to help improve accuracy. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 2 months later...

Ok so I finally got my pings in December that I ordered in June and sent away for my free Arccos sensors. Got them installed  hooked up and all is great. I’ve got 9  9 hole rounds in with Arccos and things are going ok but not great. Issues are using Apple Watch missing shots and at the end of the round there’s a ton of editing. I’m finding myself keeping score on a card and comparing the 2 so I can go back and correct. That being said if I keep my phone in the front left pocket it’s fairly accurate. I gotta think some of this is the learning curve so I’ll update at a later date.

Ping G425 SFT

Ping G410 3w

Ping G410 3h

Ping G425 irons 4-w

Kirkland 52, 56, 60

Kirkland KS1 putter