Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

HOW DO YOU CHOOSE A FAIRWAY WOOD?

BostonSal

The longest par 3 at our club is a perfectly flat hole measuring 222 yards from the middle of the tee to  the middle of the green.

My ability to reach the front of this green, which is as large a par 3 green as I've ever seen, determines the strength of my fairway wood.

I can still just reach it with a 20º Heavenwood but usually not quite with my 20º driving iron.

I hit woods longer than irons of the same loft.

So my fairway wood, for everything, is a 20º Heavenwood.

I'm good down to about 17º with a fairway wood, but the weaker the loft, the fewer the mishits.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I chose a 3 wood that is the more forgiving version of my driver. 15* Mavrik Max 3w I chose it because although I could likely get away with the regular Mavrik, I know that when I am going to use it most will be situations where I put a premium on forgiveness and this club fits the bill. Slight draw bias even on the regular club weight setting though but I have learned to make slight adjustments accordingly- its a nice club but it would also likely be the first out of my bag along with my lob wedge if I am hitting my driver well as my 3H is only 15-20yds shorter

I think forgiveness is the key. If you can consistently hit the club off the deck and get it past 220 yards, it's a good club. The key factor is confidence,  I will pull the club I had the most success with during weekday practice and pre game warmup...be it a long iron or my woods

@prilltx

Golf is challenging, R U doing the work...or hoping 4 different outcomes?

Titleist C16 irons

Vokey 55°, 60° wedges

Cleveland 50°, 46° wedges

Ping Sigma2 41 inch putter

Titleist D2 driver, 904 / 908 3 and 5 wood