Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I just hit all 3 irons indoors. I didn’t turn on the launch monitor, so no numbers. The 221 looks, sounds and feels wonderful. Pretty much what you would expect from a Mizuno muscle back.

The 223 and 225 both looked great at address. They sounded and felt alike. Not the same feel and sound as the 221 but very good. Just a smidge louder and firmer feeling than the 221. 

The 225 looked smaller at address than the MP 20 HMB that it has replaced. 

I took some comparison pics that I’m going to post in the iron head comparison thread. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Just spent about out 20 minutes hitting the 225 & 223.  I think both are going to do very well in most wanted testing. Looks wise they're just as sharp as they look in the pictures and have a nice compact look at address.  I love the look of the 223 and did a decent job of contact, but admittedly I hit the 225 much better immediately.   Unfortunately, someone else showed up wanting to hit them too(who actually may make a purchase) so I swapped out for the zx7s and for fun the zx forged.  Forged felt awesome but is miles north of me right now.  I'll have a tough decision ahead this year if I hit my target handicap.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 4:20 PM, yungkory said:

Anyone excited about these? Surprised to search for 221, 223, and 225 to not see many posts. Personally, I like that they're keeping the JDM badging, but I'm a sucker for the motherland and everything that comes from there.

221_Workshop.jpg

223_Workshop.jpg

225_Workshop.jpg

Mizuno can do no wrong in my opinion on any of their offerings.  It'll be a cold day in He(( though when I give up my JPX 921 Tours... They are hands down the best irons I've ever played.  These though... they look like a work of art and have that true "Mizuno" feel to them no doubt. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Hit the 225 yesterday sounds great, flies incredible just saddened by Mizuno going strong lofted though would have been better traditional I feel. 

spun wonderful and descent rate of mostly 50ish on a 7 iron is pure $$$ 

I will add again the sound was unbelievable 

Edited by PankaGolf

"C'mon be good"

28 minutes ago, PankaGolf said:

Hit the 225 yesterday sounds great, flies incredible just saddened by Mizuno going strong lofted though would have been better traditional I feel. 

... I don't really care about lofts per iron as it makes no difference to me if the Pw or 9i is 44* and a Gw is 48/49* because it is the same club with a different number on the bottom. As long as all my yardages are covered I am not gonna complain about modern lofts. What I really dislike though is the 5* gaps between clubs with 4* gaps in ( ) making a full 1/2 club difference. My Cobra's have strong lofts but have 4* gaps. I had more 3/4 shots than I would have liked when I played the P790's with their 5* gaps. I get it simplifies things for the higher index player that may not be as accurate with distances so it works well in SGI's, but I have to imagine some older low index players would be interested in the 225's:  

Pw ... 44 (44)
9 ... 39   (40)
8 ... 34   (36)
7 ... 30   (32)

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I don't really care about lofts per iron as it makes no difference to me if the Pw or 9i is 44* and a Gw is 48/49* because it is the same club with a different number on the bottom. As long as all my yardages are covered I am not gonna complain about modern lofts. What I really dislike though is the 5* gaps between clubs with 4* gaps in ( ) making a full 1/2 club difference. My Cobra's have strong lofts but have 4* gaps. I had more 3/4 shots than I would have liked when I played the P790's with their 5* gaps. I get it simplifies things for the higher index player that may not be as accurate with distances so it works well in SGI's, but I have to imagine some older low index players would be interested in the 225's:  

Pw ... 44 (44)
9 ... 39   (40)
8 ... 34   (36)
7 ... 30   (32)

Yeah I get it’s just a different number but the 7 iron was a degree stronger than my 6 and that means I need a ton more wedges and it’s just A. Pointless and B. f****** annoying. 

I thought Mizuno were above the “my pw goes further than your 8 bro” crowd. 

"C'mon be good"

1 hour ago, PankaGolf said:

Yeah I get it’s just a different number but the 7 iron was a degree stronger than my 6 and that means I need a ton more wedges and it’s just A. Pointless and B. f****** annoying. 

It can be annoying, and I was in your camp and nervous about playing the Forged Tec's in CC4.  Turns out I play those lofts awesome and have about 15 yard gaps through my irons and wedges.  Now I'll concede that I have a Forged Tec Gap Wedge AND a MIM Black Gap Wedge.  But one is 48* and the other is 52* so while they're both "GW" in name they're not in reality.  Took me a round or two to get used to it, but since then its been gravy.

However, I will agree with @chisag that 5* feels a little much.  I would love to have it tightened up to maybe 12 yards per club, but that also creates a gap at either end I'd need to figure out.  

It also helps that I like to play 3 "scoring" wedges with different bounces.  I find myself in all sorts of interesting places on the course... some very lush and some very firm.  I need options there!  But I know other guys have been on here that still rock two scoring wedges with their iron set PW and up.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

41 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

It can be annoying, and I was in your camp and nervous about playing the Forged Tec's in CC4.  Turns out I play those lofts awesome and have about 15 yard gaps through my irons and wedges.  Now I'll concede that I have a Forged Tec Gap Wedge AND a MIM Black Gap Wedge.  But one is 48* and the other is 52* so while they're both "GW" in name they're not in reality.  Took me a round or two to get used to it, but since then its been gravy.

However, I will agree with @chisag that 5* feels a little much.  I would love to have it tightened up to maybe 12 yards per club, but that also creates a gap at either end I'd need to figure out.  

It also helps that I like to play 3 "scoring" wedges with different bounces.  I find myself in all sorts of interesting places on the course... some very lush and some very firm.  I need options there!  But I know other guys have been on here that still rock two scoring wedges with their iron set PW and up.  

Just mentally looking at my bag and seeing two gap wedges would play on my mind for 18 every time. 

am I mentally weak? Yes. 

"C'mon be good"

Just now, PankaGolf said:

Just mentally looking at my bag and seeing two gap wedges would play on my mind for 18 every time. 

am I mentally weak? Yes. 

One of mine says “GW” the other says “52”. Probably the only reason it works. Also helps that the 52* is a sliver shorter or it would bother me that they were the same length.  😂

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

After having tried out the Mizuno experience center and trying out the Mizuno Pro 225, I think I'm pretty set on going for a set of 225's this coming 2022. The Nippon Modus 3 105 I tried with felt so good.

:titleist-small:  TSR 2 10°  :Fuji:  Ventus TR Red Velocore 5 S

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 18° :Fuji:  Ventus Red Velocore 6 R

:taylormade-small:  SiM2 Rescue 4 Hybrid 22°

:mizuno-small: Pro 225 5 ~ PW, GW Nippon Modus 3 105 R

:vokey-small: SM8 54° S grind, 58° D grind

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter

4 hours ago, PankaGolf said:

7 hours ago, PankaGolf said:

... I think we both learned to play in the era of 48* pw and a 44* 9 iron then 4* gaps down from there until 3* gaps in the long irons. I had countless sets with those specs and when they started making lofts stronger it was a real adjustment, more mental than physical and yes pretty dammed annoying. But that horse left the barn awhile ago so too late to close the gate now. I have embraced new technology and all it entails. Playing P790's in the midwest with 5* gaps and higher, longer shots with less spin were great in Chicagos winds. But in Phoenix with little wind and fast hard winter greens, I had a difficult time holding them with mid and certainly long irons. Another adjustment to T100S that I absolutely loved but the S of course stands for STRONG lofts. Then demoing the King Tours with not quite as strong lofts was another adjustment but I could not be happier with my irons. I could switch back to the T100S and be comfortable after the front 9 as a refresher. 

... All of those adjustments did not take long since I play around 5 times a week so for me at least, the choice to take advantage of modern technology was easy and I just don't pay attention to lofts or numbers as long as I get the performance I need and the club looks good at address because I can't see what is on the sole. Obviously YMV's and nothing wrong with that at all. 👍

On 12/15/2021 at 9:50 AM, McGolf said:

updated opinion 

Good stuff there Jim!  I always enjoy your content, well done!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

21 hours ago, PankaGolf said:

It has nothing to do with the my X goes further than you X crowd. 

Just completely ignoring the whole design aspect and how things have to be done to fit into launch windows and not have balls just balloon and fall out of the sky.  Which is been discussed over and over on every golf forum forever.

Some people are just never going to accept club design aspect and the lofts and numbers stamped on that club. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It has nothing to do with the my X goes further than you X crowd. 

Just completely ignoring the whole design aspect and how things have to be done to fit into launch windows and not have balls just balloon and fall out of the sky.  Which is been discussed over and over on every golf forum forever.

Some people are just never going to accept club design aspect and the lofts and numbers stamped on that club. 

Pardon?

"C'mon be good"

5 minutes ago, PankaGolf said:

Pardon?

What part do you need clarification on?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I spent about 18 hours hitting all of these new Mizuno models over 4 days. I have to say they are all very good. Coming off MP20-MMC's and Ping I210 sets last year, personally I like these better. Mizuno did seem to hype the 223 as having the most improvements, but they were actually quite similar in performance to my MP20-MMC's.  The 221's are gorgeous but once you get past the 7 they are for elite ball strikers, and not my cup of tea. Getting to old these days to deliver the club consistently on the center face. I did a lot of back and forth between the 223 and 225. The 223 seemed a bit more forgiving than my MP20-MMC, distance control was similar, and they were a couple yards longer than my MMC's. But R to L dispersion was slightly better due to the added forgiveness.  I loved the feel of the 225 on center strikes the best, probably the best feeling iron I have ever hit that I would actually play. Lofts on the 225 are a bit strong, but the launch angles are very similar to the 223 in actuality. Offset is identical to the 223 cavity backs. Spin is a bit less 350- 500 rpm on average (because of the stronger lofts), but far from anemic, and very playable, with good decent angles and enough spin to hold all but the most unforgiving greens. Could always bend these 1 degree weak if I determine more spin or a higher launch is needed, but prefer to check gaping before doing that. Even changing balls could bridge that difference.

I considered splitting a set of 223 at the bottom, with 225 at the top. But further testing showed my dispersion was actually tighter with the 225's even in the PW. The mishits were slightly more forgiving on distance, and they were about 5 to 8 yards longer per club than the 223's. But surprisingly distance control was very good when playing shots out of the middle of the face. I ended up ordering a full set of the 225's (4-gw) because of the feel and consistency. The 3 iron was about where you could start to see a bit of the sole at address, sticking out behind the topline. Even though I really thought I would go for the 223's, the 225's were what I eventually ordered. Always keep an open mind when doing a fitting, the numbers don't lie. The 225's were very workable, I could flight shots, and still work it both ways. They reduced the size considerably from the HMB which looked big to me at address. And I like the idea of putting a muscle back in the bag as it's been a long time since I  had that in there. Added some new T-22 wedges (copper plated) to fill out the bottom of the 14 way tour stand bag, also on order. Now the waiting begins.

PDW_LOGO_SML.png.befadb4d9b7e9ff83a65acb4f6c62bc5.png

1 hour ago, PankaGolf said:

Eurgh my first reply failed. 

bit ultimately I’d like clarity on why you think club design/developments warrants a 30* 7 iron. 

it’s just not necessary. 

This has all been hashed out in hundreds of threads across every golf forum and other social media platforms, you can search for it and read thru the info.

and this video will help it explain it for you.

2 hours ago, PankaGolf said:

Eurgh my first reply failed. 

bit ultimately I’d like clarity on why you think club design/developments warrants a 30* 7 iron. 

it’s just not necessary. 

It is if I want a club that flies as far as my old 30º 6 iron, but flies as high as my old 7 iron.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, Thanks to some help from holiday gift cards and some rewards points here and there... put my order in for Mizuno Pro 225s 5 - GW in Nippon Modus 3 105. I can't wait till I get them in my hands. Hopefully it does not get hit with delays and arrive on the expected delivery date..... I can hope right?

Edited by sosuHands

:titleist-small:  TSR 2 10°  :Fuji:  Ventus TR Red Velocore 5 S

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 18° :Fuji:  Ventus Red Velocore 6 R

:taylormade-small:  SiM2 Rescue 4 Hybrid 22°

:mizuno-small: Pro 225 5 ~ PW, GW Nippon Modus 3 105 R

:vokey-small: SM8 54° S grind, 58° D grind

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter

On 1/4/2022 at 1:58 PM, PankaGolf said:

All depends on your perspective. In the old days, most of us carried 8 irons plus a sand wedge. You can still do that. It’s just that your longest iron will have a 5 stamped on it instead of a 3.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

4 hours ago, golfer5 said:

Anyone else do a double take at the lineup when the 225s considered the "easiest to hit" looked bladey? 

Can't really judge clubs by how they look anymore.   The new hollow body foam filled heads are now game improvement type clubs due to how they can move weight around.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 12:32 PM, chisag said:

Pw ... 44 (44)
9 ... 39   (40)
8 ... 34   (36)
7 ... 30   (32)

Agreed Chisag.  It is human nature to cringe a little when your playing partner hits an "8 iron" and you are standing next to him with a 6 iron in your hand.... granted, my swing speed is a club slower, and his loft is a club+ stronger - but it is still a bit of an ego thing.  But on the other hand, I am carrying a 3 iron, and his set stops at 5... so I can play the ego card back at him, haha.  

All that said... my efforts in chasing "distance" from irons haven't really improved my scoring... my old MP68's still find greens, even if the number on the bottom of the club is different than my T200's.  And my gaps are better covered with the MP68's to your point...

Plus... those 221's are PRETTY!  Just something about a Mizuno 1025 forging... I'm tempted.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

2 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

It is human nature to cringe a little when your playing partner hits an "8 iron" and you are standing next to him with a 6 iron in your hand....

While it is human nature to do that comparison,  I rarely if ever know what club the people I am playing with hit.  The exception would be Driver/wood/hybrid/iron off the tee just because it is obvious.      That said,  if I play with someone that will ask me what I club I hit,  I will sometime play a longer club with less than full swing just to mess with them 🙂  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I will sometime play a longer club with less than full swing just to mess with them 🙂  

Nice!  haha

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I rarely if ever know what club the people I am playing with hit.  The exception would be Driver/wood/hybrid/iron off the tee just because it is obvious. 

I was referring to my regular group of playing partners and the chit chat that always happens on the tee (Par 3) while everyone is standing there with their range finders out getting the yardage to the inch... and sharing what club they are hitting to get there.  Meanwhile, I take a quick "middle of the green" reading on my GPS and judge whatever wind is blowing, and pull my club... then patiently wait for them to finish.  I never ask, but I usually know exactly what club they are hitting. 🙂

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1