TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

yungkory

This thread is killing me. My plan was to wait for the JPX923F, but I may want to hit the 223’s and 225’s. Thanks!

Picture1.jpg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s the downside of many of the box stores that don’t have a “tour fitting” offering like PGASS or 2ndswing does. You maybe find a competent fitter who understands the swing and the numbers and can explain them to the customer. There are some guys like that because they are supplementing their demo day income during the off-season.

For a place like club champion it’s going to be hit or miss as well. Wherever one goes finding out who the fitter is and getting reviews on that person is best. CC isn’t biased towards a brand or two in my experience of them and reading other reviews. They are biased towards upcharge shafts but they will stay with stock offerings if requested.

Imo indoor fittings aren’t ideal especially for irons. You don’t get a feel for how the club interacts with the turf and if it’s right for your swing or not. It takes a really good fitter to see your swing, understands what it’s doing and how it interacts with the turf. Ian explained that to @Golfspy_CG2when he did his iron fitting there. It’s why assuming a GI is good for high handicaps or slow swing speeds. Even the v sole on the srixons could be good or bad for a digger.

My recommendation would be to find an outdoor fitter or wait for the demo day season to start then go to one of those. However if looking to buy sooner and indoor is the only option then look for a fitter that has really good reviews. 

I agree with this. I had ordered T100s irons but the wait was to long so I went to golf galaxy to buy the stock set with the LZ 6.0 shaft. I asked the guy at the store if I could just hit the demo 7 iron with the stock shaft. He gives me the AMT white S300. I said it’s the LZ 6.0. He says no it’s the AMT. i asked him to bring out the actual set that he has in stock. He was adamant I was wrong. He opens the box and sees the LZ shaft and says they must have been special order. WTF. I had a gift card and bought them anyway. This guy was there “fitter.”

54 minutes ago, Scottyrocket53 said:

I went to golf galaxy to buy the stock set with the LZ 6.0 shaft. I asked the guy at the store if I could just hit the demo 7 iron with the stock shaft. He gives me the AMT white S300. I said it’s the LZ 6.0. He says no it’s the AMT. i asked him to bring out the actual set that he has in stock. He was adamant I was wrong. He opens the box and sees the LZ shaft and says they must have been special order. WTF.

... I was at PXG thinking of picking up the Gen3 P's with MMT shafts for $903 which is an insane price but they had so much offset and I mentioned making them 2* weaker would help with my gapping but probably not enough offset reduction  to suit my eye and the manager, the manager says "making them weaker has absolutely no effect on offset. None." I told him unless PXG is using some kind of proprietary hosel grind that does not change when bending them, they will most certainly have a reduction in how the offset looks at address. The club builder came out for something and the manager says "This guy thinks bending the P's 2* weaker will decrease the offset. Can you set him straight?" The builder says "there will be no difference on offset performance but yea, it will look like it has less offset visually" to which I replied that is all I was saying. The a$$hat manager says "Oh I was talking about performance and technical specs not how it looked. Plus you take away the extra distance by making them weaker which is why most people buy PXG to begin with."   How this 🤡  is a store manager tells you everything you want to know about most golf retail employees. All the guy had to do was say "Wow, I learned something today" and maybe save a customer but he doubled down on ignorance. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, Scottyrocket53 said:

if I could just hit the demo 7 iron with the stock shaft. He gives me the AMT white S300. I said it’s the LZ 6.0. He says no it’s the AMT.

This is where the word stock can get confusing. To some stock is any no upcharge shaft and others it’s what the oem defines as stock which is what you were referring to as what would be the standard set delivered when order by a shop for in store sales. Also with the amt being the default shaft in the t100 set he could have been confused. But as you point out it’s why one has to be careful with who the deal with at box stores 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Another funny part was asking how much a set of 5 thru gw was, and he replied well first off, there is no gw with these clubs… so I said I’m pretty sure there is now, and he was all no, no, no, while he was trying to look them up. Then he finally got there and and says well I’ll be darned, there IS a Gw available now… 

to be fair, it might be hard to stay current when working at a big box store.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

12 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Another funny part was asking how much a set of 5 thru gw was, and he replied well first off, there is no gw with these clubs… so I said I’m pretty sure there is now, and he was all no, no, no, while he was trying to look them up. Then he finally got there and and says well I’ll be darned, there IS a Gw available now… 

to be fair, it might be hard to stay current when working at a big box store.

... I think that unless it is a set of MB's most every iron comes in a GW since pw's are anywhere from 40-46*. My friend back in Chicago was a manager at Golfsmith and started out trying to hire golfers with at least some equipment knowledge. But soon learned finding employees at retail was hard enough without adding requirements like "product knowledge" 🤪. He instead hired qualified people that were good salespeople and tried to train them about golf equipment and some didn't even play golf. 

On 2/6/2022 at 8:03 AM, Middler said:

This thread is killing me. My plan was to wait for the JPX923F, but I may want to hit the 223’s and 225’s.

... Back on topic , I finally saw the 223 and 225 yesterday. While not exactly shocked, I was a little surprise at how good they both looked at address. Especially the 225 that is most definitely a players distance iron and so far the best looking hollow headed iron I have seen. Imo the HMB looked more like a GI distance iron so it will be very interesting to see how sales turn out for the 225. I think the Cobra Forged Tec also looks great in pictures as they also thinned the sole and top line but will need to see them in person. 

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Back on topic , I finally saw the 223 and 225 yesterday. While not exactly shocked, I was a little surprise at how good they both looked at address. Especially the 225 that is most definitely a players distance iron and so far the best looking hollow headed iron I have seen. Imo the HMB looked more like a GI distance iron so it will be very interesting to see how sales turn out for the 225. I think the Cobra Forged Tec also looks great in pictures as they also thinned the sole and top line but will need to see them in person. 

Gee thanks Sam...I was looking for reasons to Not go look but there is also a demo day this Thursday...I suppose I'll go look 🙂  Just look.  Only going to look. 🙂

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I am definitely going to sign up to do an outdoor fitting for 223s.  Really like the pics from Golfspy_CG2 (thanks for the extra pics).  Hoping the turf interaction will feel as good as they look.  

Will be interested in trying the Mizuno shaft fitting too.  I am hoping for a lighter stiff shaft than the DGs to go with the 223s.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

7 hours ago, chisag said:

I want a combo set of 223/225 -- I'm so ITCHY

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I think these clubs look fantastic! I suppose gone are the days where you can quickly tell by looking at clubs who they are designed for. I love the fact that you can get a bit more forgiveness while maintaining a clean look. In my opinion these are far superior to every other iron appearance wise. Hopefully I'll be able to hit them soon! 

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Founders Club Hybrids (3 & 4) and Irons (5-PW) with Regular shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

60° REG.588 Tour Action with Wedge Flex shaft

Home - TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Ghost TM 110 Putter 34"

undecided | DevpostUndecided on what Golf Ball to use this year

Went to the shop where I worked in college and was thrilled to see one of the salesmen I used to work with behind the counter. We talked a while and asked what I was curious about. 223…long story short, I’m going for a fitting on Wednesday next week. Time to see how they stack up. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 2/7/2022 at 3:35 PM, bens197 said:

Gee thanks Sam...I was looking for reasons to Not go look but there is also a demo day this Thursday...I suppose I'll go look 🙂  Just look.  Only going to look. 🙂

On 2/7/2022 at 5:57 PM, KC Golf said:

I am definitely going to sign up to do an outdoor fitting for 223s.  Really like the pics from Golfspy_CG2 (thanks for the extra pics).  Hoping the turf interaction will feel as good as they look.  

Will be interested in trying the Mizuno shaft fitting too.  I am hoping for a lighter stiff shaft than the DGs to go with the 223s.

Well good news for KC and bad news for Ben 🙂

I got 9 in this afternoon and tookt he 223's out.  Honeymoon period disclaimer in full affect.   I was so happy how they played.   First shot with them was a 6 iron 2nd shot on a par 5 out of dormant rough-so not very deep.  It came out beautifully and clean, and left me right at 100 yards in the middle of the fairway.   Next shot was well struck (but pulled GW that went n the left green side bunker. 

Overall not one heavy or chunky shot in all 9 holes.  Which as I commented earlier that was my big worry about Mizuno based on previous experience, but had been told by those in Mizuno R&D they were adding a fair amount of leading edge relief on this model.   And that's what I continue to see.

I shot a 42 (from the senior tees-whcih is what I play in leauge) I did have a coujple thin shots but those were a result of my tendency to lift out of a shot early.    But even those while they didn't look pretty ended up just fine.  

I got some nice spin and stop action on several holes that led to pars, and used the PW on a couple green side chips where I wanted to hit chip and run shot, and did so.

Defnitely looking forward to getting out again with these.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I got 9 in this afternoon and tookt he 223's out.  Honeymoon period disclaimer in full affect.   I was so happy how they played.   First shot with them was a 6 iron 2nd shot on a par 5 out of dormant rough-so not very deep.  It came out beautifully and clean, and left me right at 100 yards in the middle of the fairway.   Next shot was well struck (but pulled GW that went n the left green side bunker. 

Overall not one heavy or chunky shot in all 9 holes.  Which as I commented earlier that was my big worry about Mizuno based on previous experience, but had been told by those in Mizuno R&D they were adding a fair amount of leading edge relief on this model.   And that's what I continue to see.

I shot a 42 (from the senior tees-whcih is what I play in leauge) I did have a coujple thin shots but those were a result of my tendency to lift out of a shot early.    But even those while they didn't look pretty ended up just fine.  

I got some nice spin and stop action on several holes that led to pars, and used the PW on a couple green side chips where I wanted to hit chip and run shot, and did so.

I had a feeling it was headed in this direction and I'm glad you still love them post-nuptials.

Today was my first hands-on day and I really liked the look of the clubs.  

Ever since Mizuno dropped the photos I've been in love.  I feel like Marv in Home Alone..."ever since I laid eyes on that (house) I wanted it."  They seduced me...

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 2/10/2022 at 3:03 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Obviously 2 very different head designs, but I was wondering about the differences you find between the Tensei shaft in your Titleist irons and the Recoil 95 in the Mizuno irons.  On paper, they look very different.  I've been using lighter weight graphite for sometime now and am thinking of trying a heavier graphite.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

21 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Obviously 2 very different head designs, but I was wondering about the differences you find between the Tensei shaft in your Titleist irons and the Recoil 95 in the Mizuno irons.  On paper, they look very different.  I've been using lighter weight graphite for sometime now and am thinking of trying a heavier graphite.

Good question.

I would say the simpleist explanation about what I like of the heavier Recoil 95 vs the Tensei is the better feel throughout the swing.   I think I have a better idea of where the clubhead is,  especialy in the downswing with the slightly heavier recoil.   I don't think I really gained that much clubspeed with the Tensei to make it worth losing the feel over. 

As one who tends to come over the top in my swing, I learned in my fitting at TXG that a slightly heavier shaft/club will help minimizue that, and any slight loss of clubspeed will likely be made up for by better or more consistent impact.

We will see if that holds up over an extended run with them.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 2/10/2022 at 2:28 PM, bens197 said:

I had a feeling it was headed in this direction and I'm glad you still love them post-nuptials.

Today was my first hands-on day and I really liked the look of the clubs.  

Ever since Mizuno dropped the photos I've been in love.  I feel like Marv in Home Alone..."ever since I laid eyes on that (house) I wanted it."  They seduced me...

I’ve been eying all these new distance players clubs and just this morning, I had a 155 yd shot that the “new” clubs would dictate a 7 iron. But, I hit my 6 iron (same loft as new 7 irons) and watched a beautiful high soaring shot land about 4 feet right of the pin and virtually stopped in its tracks. Now I did just get a quasi fitting that showed an improvement with a flatter lie, and this was just my second round with the newly bent 3° down irons, so in a sense, they are like a new set, but only different. Seems new to me as who would ever know how radically different they are.

as we all know, the number on the bottom is just that, and the real business is the actual loft (the never ending debate), buutttt, I’m wondering if the Ptx-pro’s are already considered the same type of club, a players distance iron, as I think they’re hollow, and I know they’ve got the tungsten weights strategically placed etc… Or, are the newest clubs that much different in all the minuscule things

I just wonder if new clubs are the same as the old clubs with a different numbers on the bottom, and would it be a letdown?

also hit a perfect layup with the 4 UiHi (if that’s the right name), on a par 5 that made me very satisfied, as well as a few PW (icons) that also buttered my bread.

I might be in that bracket of people that already have the correct set of clubs, and might not get something better, just different… it’s just a slippery slope.

Ben, I wonder if you are too. But, I want you to spend your money first and then let us know if they’re all that…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

4 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I might be in that bracket of people that already have the correct set of clubs, and might not get something better, just different… it’s just a slippery slope.

Ben, I wonder if you are too. But, I want you to spend your money first and then let us know if they’re all that…

I actually laughed out loud at this.

It may be a different kind of better but it'll have to be better than the existing set for me to purposefully replace them.  Nothing has really changed for me with my Hogans, I love them as much today as the day I opened the box. 

This is the first set of irons in a very long time that I looked at and thought wow, I have to have them.  I've scheduled with a fitter I've known for 20 years who is one of the best club fitters I've ever known.

So we'll see...Wednesday is the day...

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Just got home from the shop...I want to dive in a little deeper but as a tease I will say this much...  

223 was the best feeling iron in the lot...

The Callaway X Forged UT almost won...it was close.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 2/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, bens197 said:

I suppose I'll go look 🙂  Just look.  Only going to look. 🙂

... "223 was the best feeling iron in the lot"?!?!? What happened to only going to LOOK at the 223's.  🤣

28 minutes ago, chisag said:

... "223 was the best feeling iron in the lot"?!?!? What happened to only going to LOOK at the 223's.  🤣

I mean...I looked...I also swung as well...what can I say...🤣

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

The $ Taper was harsh.  Perhaps I don't have the chops for this shaft but it just did not mesh with me.  Shorter in distance, thin and abrasive feel and quite honestly just not something I loved.  My presumption is this is more for a strong and aggressive tempo player who wants something more solid with a lower priority on feel.

The Project X was the biggest disappointment.  It wasn't harsh, just very meh.  I was actually thinking this could be a winner from the optimizer and help me bring spin down a little bit.  Not so much.  It felt awful and didn't really rock my world.

The $ taper in stiff is one of my favorite shafts, not sure how the s compares to x.

the px shafts even for some fast swingers I know don’t have any feel and if you are having a bad iron swing day they just aren’t going to load. I’ve had the 6.0 in pxg gen2 and was fitted to them  or the dg s300 amt. I’ve been tempted to try them in 5.5 to see if they are better in a softer flex

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

So a quick (not really) review and (not so) brief story on the 223...

I really was looking to get into the 223 but wanted to be sure it was THE best iron of the sample.  We started with the Mizuno shaft optimizer while hitting a 921 tour head.  A few swings later and the suggested batch were: 

1) Dynamic Gold X100

2) Project X 6.5

3) $ Taper X

I have no experience with 2 or 3 and plenty with the DG, and quite honestly I wasn't very surprised.  My tempo and swing really match up well with the Dynamic Gold.  At this stage however, I really want a club that feels better as long as it performs...

So that was our starting point.  My fitter knew what I was playing and has known me for 20 years so we have a good basis of my game and how I play.  Irons have always been my achilles heel and of all the parts of my game, an iron fitting is something I need to help close that gap.

I hit a half dozen shots with my PTx Pro 7 iron to establish a baseline.  From there we had several heads to work with.

Mizuno Pro 223

Mizuno Pro 225

Mizuno JPX Tour 921

Srixon ZX7

Callaway X Forged UT

First priority was shaft.  The DG was what I'd come to known, solid, not remarkably responsive and steady.  Pretty much the pair of daily dad shoes you wear around the house, for grocery shopping and staring at your house from the front lawn.

The $ Taper was harsh.  Perhaps I don't have the chops for this shaft but it just did not mesh with me.  Shorter in distance, thin and abrasive feel and quite honestly just not something I loved.  My presumption is this is more for a strong and aggressive tempo player who wants something more solid with a lower priority on feel.

The Project X was the biggest disappointment.  It wasn't harsh, just very meh.  I was actually thinking this could be a winner from the optimizer and help me bring spin down a little bit.  Not so much.  It felt awful and didn't really rock my world.

A couple shafts down was the Modus 115 in an X.  I took one swing and it was the perfect harmony.  The performance of the DG with the feel I am accustomed to.  The feel was great, gross weight was nice but the numbers were spot on.  

Thanks for this - always great to hear shaft comparisons that are in the same neighborhood as mine even if impressions vary greatly. I have been trying to love the X100 and Project X (regular and LS) since they seem to be most readily available shafts without upcharge (I don't like Modus 120x feel and don't get along with regular KBS Tour or C Taper  either, which are the other stock offerings from most of the big OEMs); The X100 and the LS have come closest to unseating my $ Taper 130s; interestingly I found the regular Project X 6.5 to be harsher than the $ taper 130 or LS. I sit at 93-94mph with the 7i and have an aggressive transition FWIW.

Without doing a full fitting yet I have tried at various points over the last few months: T100, ZX7, i59, Wilson CB, Apex Pro, 770, X Forged, & MIM Tour, they all delivered in many ways, but nothing that screamed BUY (ZX7 with the X100, and X Forged with LS 6.5 were closest - agree with you 100% that the X forged are buttery soft but I think I have an anti-Callaway bias or just don't agree with the way their offset appears, not sure).

I finally got to hit the 223 with my gamer $ Taper 130s this past weekend and almost cancelled my fitting because it seemed like a perfect pairing. I'm going to stick with the fitting and see if data matches up with my impressions/biases, but the 223s with black $ tapers and the icon ferrules are like 80% in the bag lol.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The $ taper in stiff is one of my favorite shafts, not sure how the s compares to x.

the px shafts even for some fast swingers I know don’t have any feel and if you are having a bad iron swing day they just aren’t going to load. I’ve had the 6.0 in pxg gen2 and was fitted to them  or the dg s300 amt. I’ve been tempted to try them in 5.5 to see if they are better in a softer flex

It’s clearly popular and was interested in seeing how it would work…it clearly didn’t but that’s how it goes. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

6 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

Thanks for this - always great to hear shaft comparisons that are in the same neighborhood as mine even if impressions vary greatly. I have been trying to love the X100 and Project X (regular and LS) since they seem to be most readily available shafts without upcharge (I don't like Modus 120x feel and don't get along with regular KBS Tour or C Taper  either, which are the other stock offerings from most of the big OEMs); The X100 and the LS have come closest to unseating my $ Taper 130s; interestingly I found the regular Project X 6.5 to be harsher than the $ taper 130 or LS. I sit at 93-94mph with the 7i and have an aggressive transition FWIW.

Without doing a full fitting yet I have tried at various points over the last few months: T100, ZX7, i59, Wilson CB, Apex Pro, 770, X Forged, & MIM Tour, they all delivered in many ways, but nothing that screamed BUY (ZX7 with the X100, and X Forged with LS 6.5 were closest - agree with you 100% that the X forged are buttery soft but I think I have an anti-Callaway bias or just don't agree with the way their offset appears, not sure).

I finally got to hit the 223 with my gamer $ Taper 130s this past weekend and almost cancelled my fitting because it seemed like a perfect pairing. I'm going to stick with the fitting and see if data matches up with my impressions/biases, but the 223s with black $ tapers and the icon ferrules are like 80% in the bag lol.

You’re welcome. 

You should definitely go ahead and book it. Worst case you’re good with what you’ve got but you’ll have that added knowledge and piece of mind. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

So a quick (not really) review and (not so) brief story on the 223...

I really was looking to get into the 223 but wanted to be sure it was THE best iron of the sample.  We started with the Mizuno shaft optimizer while hitting a 921 tour head.  A few swings later and the suggested batch were: 

1) Dynamic Gold X100

2) Project X 6.5

3) $ Taper X

I have no experience with 2 or 3 and plenty with the DG, and quite honestly I wasn't very surprised.  My tempo and swing really match up well with the Dynamic Gold.  At this stage however, I really want a club that feels better as long as it performs...

So that was our starting point.  My fitter knew what I was playing and has known me for 20 years so we have a good basis of my game and how I play.  Irons have always been my achilles heel and of all the parts of my game, an iron fitting is something I need to help close that gap.

I hit a half dozen shots with my PTx Pro 7 iron to establish a baseline.  From there we had several heads to work with.

Mizuno Pro 223

Mizuno Pro 225

Mizuno JPX Tour 921

Srixon ZX7

Callaway X Forged UT

First priority was shaft.  The DG was what I'd come to known, solid, not remarkably responsive and steady.  Pretty much the pair of daily dad shoes you wear around the house, for grocery shopping and staring at your house from the front lawn.

A couple shafts down was the Modus 115 in an X.  I took one swing and it was the perfect harmony.  The performance of the DG with the feel I am accustomed to.  The feel was great, gross weight was nice but the numbers were spot on.  

The photo below has my numbers compared between DG and Modus.  We prioritized what was important for my game and the data was supported by feel and results.  

From that point we agreed the Modus was THE shaft.  Now it was time to figure out which head to proceed with.  Took several swings with each and each had their own positives and negatives.  The 223 had the looks and the feel and gave me that confirmation bias I was looking for...but I wanted to be sure.

225...Not what I hoped for.  Numbers were not better, not longer and quite honestly did not feel great.  My intention going into this was a 4 & 5 with the 225 and the 6-P would be 223.

Mizuno JPX Tour 921...Good, just not better than the 223.

Srixon ZX7...LOOKS phenomenal. A nice throwback to the older days with squared edges and clean looks.  The design team did a phenomenal job with these irons on first glance. They fell short for me with feel and performance.  Quite honestly, it doesn't feel amazing and the numbers were slightly below the 223 in performance.  I could easily game these but they were not better than the 223's.  

Callaway X Forged UT...dude.  This was a random shot in the dark.  I am not a Callaway guy and haven't thought much of playing them.  We put them in a Modus 120 X and I gave a few swings.  A more rounded profile that Callaway is known for yet a very pleasant club to look at.  Feel...pure love.  Absolutely phenomenal.  If I were swinging blind, I would have a difficult time differentiating between the UT and the 223.  For anyone who is a Callaway fan and hasn't given these a shot in the past year, you should.  I had to stop and take break to reset because these were serious contenders.  When we got back into it, my bad swings were still better with the 223...and after 45 minutes of swinging for the first time this season, there were some bad swings and they were more prevalent with the Callaway.

After one hour of swings, it was clear that the Mizuno Pro 223 was a better club than what I already have in my bag.  

So they're on order...Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus 115 X with Lamkin ST Hybrid Calibrate grips.

Should be here in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for hanging around...the photo is the difference between DG and Modus shafts with the 223 head.  

IMG_4921.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience! Those Modus numbers look great.

The 223s have been on my must try list as well. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

16 minutes ago, edingc said:

Thanks for sharing your experience! Those Modus numbers look great.

The 223s have been on my must try list as well. 

Thanks Cody.  It ended up being a productive day and I was pleased with the results. If you make it out to try them please share what you find. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV