TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

yungkory

44 minutes ago, MattF said:

Disappointingly I was not fit into any of the MP's yesterday...however, I was fit into the JPX Hot Metals. They were just so consistent in distance and dispersion. 

That feeling stings a little.  Even if you did find something that just works so well there is that small part that wanted it so bad.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

That feeling stings a little.  Even if you did find something that just works so well there is that small part that wanted it so bad.

Absolutely, but it's a case of I want this but need those, so intelligence won over ego.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

On 5/24/2022 at 3:43 PM, Bigchill006 said:

Well, I jumped on the Mizuno band wagon! I went to be fitted for clubs back in February and I hit all 3 of the new line. The 221s felt great but I am not a scratch golfer so they were quite unforgiving for my swing. The 223s gave me a little more carry and were much more forgiving. The 225s gave me about the same carry as the 223s, but were just a tad more forgiving on a few mishits. I ordered a set (5-PW) of 225 with the Project X LZ shafts. They just came in a couple of days ago and I just finished hitting the range with them. I obviously haven't hit them much but so far I am extremely happy. I will be hitting the course in the next few days and I'll keep everyone updated! 

thumbnail_IMG_8025.jpg

Smart play here - hitting all options and not letting ego drive the decision 👍.  I suspect the 223 or 225's would be my best options.  Just starting a DIY build project to test out some various options. The plan is to pick out some 6i or 7i heads and shaft (or re-shaft) with either MMT or Recoil shafts which fit me well.  At some point, I'd love to find a Mizuno fitter and see what their "shaft analyzer" shows as my best fit... always been intrigued by that device.

I see that the MP-20HB is the predecessor to the 225, and the MP-20MMC the previous version of the 223. But, based on descriptions, much has changed between these releases - more so on the 223's.  I'm hoping to save a little $$ by choosing prior product cycle releases but, on some make/models, the differences may be too significant? 🤔

These sure look like a great set of options that should cover a wide span of players.  Nice job Mizuno 👏.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have feedback that purchased or had in depth fittings on the 225? I’ve scoured the thread pretty good and see that a lot of people went with the 223.  I know they won players distance this year and wanted to hear feedback from those that purchased or had in depth fittings? I’ve done some research about people making them a degree or so weaker to increase spin, especially since mizuno gave it less bounce to account for these possible change, so I’d love to hear everyone feedback

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

3 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Does anyone have feedback that purchased or had in depth fittings on the 225? I’ve scoured the thread pretty good and see that a lot of people went with the 223.  I know they won players distance this year and wanted to hear feedback from those that purchased or had in depth fittings? I’ve done some research about people making them a degree or so weaker to increase spin, especially since mizuno gave it less bounce to account for these possible change, so I’d love to hear everyone feedback

I put it in the mix with my 223 fitting and it did not last long.  The numbers were nearly the same for me 7 iron vs 7 iron which was a surprise.  Slightly less spin on the 225 and slightly longer but the amusing part was two things for me.

1) The peak trajectory was within 3 feet between the two (223 was slightly higher) 

2) The feel on the 225 was not even close to the 223.

Side by side, I saw no significant difference or reason to consider the 225 as a forgiving alternative to long irons.  6 months later I am still pleased with my decision; the 223 long irons are easy to hit and feel fantastic.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

2) The feel on the 225 was not even close to the 223. Side by side, I saw no significant difference or reason to consider the 225 as a forgiving alternative to long irons.  6 months later I am still pleased with my decision; the 223 long irons are easy to hit and feel fantastic.

... I just went through something very similar with my '22 Forged Tecs and MIM's. I played my last round with even irons FT and odd irons MIM and the difference during an actual round was pretty obvious. To be fair I think the i95's in the MIMs also feel better than the i80's in the FT's but the MIM 4 iron is one of my favorite clubs and I just didn't find much difference in forgiveness compared to the FT. I have also been playing MIM's for 1.5 years with a good 350 rounds using them so there is a familiarity and comfort and the FT's always had a steep hill to climb. All that said, I could put the FT's in the bag and be very content if I didn't think the MIMs are the best irons I have ever played. I am guessing you have a similar affinity for the 223's that just look stunning at address. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I just went through something very similar with my '22 Forged Tecs and MIM's. I played my last round with even irons FT and odd irons MIM and the difference during an actual round was pretty obvious. To be fair I think the i95's in the MIMs also feel better than the i80's in the FT's but the MIM 4 iron is one of my favorite clubs and I just didn't find much difference in forgiveness compared to the FT. I have also been playing MIM's for 1.5 years with a good 350 rounds using them so there is a familiarity and comfort and the FT's always had a steep hill to climb. All that said, I could put the FT's in the bag and be very content if I didn't think the MIMs are the best irons I have ever played. I am guessing you have a similar affinity for the 223's that just look stunning at address. 

I mean, you know it as well as anyone. If you like what you’re looking at and love how it feels there’s a pretty good chance you’ll see a boost in confidence. 

I can set that 4 iron down and boy do I feel good standing over a ball. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

55 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I put it in the mix with my 223 fitting and it did not last long.  The numbers were nearly the same for me 7 iron vs 7 iron which was a surprise.  Slightly less spin on the 225 and slightly longer but the amusing part was two things for me.

1) The peak trajectory was within 3 feet between the two (223 was slightly higher) 

2) The feel on the 225 was not even close to the 223.

Side by side, I saw no significant difference or reason to consider the 225 as a forgiving alternative to long irons.  6 months later I am still pleased with my decision; the 223 long irons are easy to hit and feel fantastic.

I’ll obviously consider both the 223 and 225. As for feel I don’t know if I know what the true forged feel is, for me as Long as it feels like or better than my hot metals I would have no problem. Really looking to get rid off the offset, wide soles and chunkiness of my current irons. Although the size differences are minuscule from looking at mizunos website for offset, sole width, etc it’ll be interesting during my future fitting to see if I’m able to adapt. I’m trying to wait for the new JPX line to test the forged vs the mizuno pros. 

hoping that my distance stays the same, not really looking for any huge distance gains. I just have watched the TXG videos and was surprised at the low spin, but the other part of that is I am a high spin player so it may be helpful. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

The 223 and 225 are on my short list.  I have hit the 225 a couple different extended sessions at PGA Superstore but I haven't hit the 223 yet.  I plan on getting fitted soon.  I hit the Callaway Rogue ST PRO, Ping i525, Taylormade P-790 alongside the Mizuno Pro 225 and the 225 felt best so far.   Interesting enough, my current gamer irons are lofted the same as the 225 and I am hitting the 225 every bit of 20 yards further on the simulator.  Not sure if they have the simulator cranked up or not.  I haven't had a chance to him my irons on the simulator against the 225 for comparison.  

Has anyone found the simulators to be cranked up for distance at golf stores to give the illusion of hitting clubs further?

Back in the game after a 15 year hiatus and loving every minute of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, Angry Birdies said:

The 223 and 225 are on my short list.  I have hit the 225 a couple different extended sessions at PGA Superstore but I haven't hit the 223 yet.  I plan on getting fitted soon.  I hit the Callaway Rogue ST PRO, Ping i525, Taylormade P-790 alongside the Mizuno Pro 225 and the 225 felt best so far.   Interesting enough, my current gamer irons are lofted the same as the 225 and I am hitting the 225 every bit of 20 yards further on the simulator.  Not sure if they have the simulator cranked up or not.  I haven't had a chance to him my irons on the simulator against the 225 for comparison.  

Has anyone found the simulators to be cranked up for distance at golf stores to give the illusion of hitting clubs further?

Generally my numbers are pretty accurate, for carry anyway. It’s the roll that I see tending to be exaggerated with mid/long irons. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

• 4 months later...

After testing the Pro 223 (which were similar to my MMC MP-18)

Tested and decided on the Pro 225. They gave me the better spin and launch rates and was more forgiving. 

I like the smaller head and blade like looks.

Took them out for the first round yesterday. They were solid, need to do some work on the range to dial them in. They are stronger loft than the MP-18. And going from Aerotech 125cw stiff shaft to Nippon Modus 105 stiff, it will take a little adjustment.

But so far I'm happy with them..unfortunately Winter is here...need to wait a week or so before temps get back up to playing conditions. 

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

17 hours ago, MrBandit said:

But so far I'm happy with them..unfortunately Winter is here...need to wait a week or so before temps get back up to playing conditions. 

...Your winter lasts a whole week??? 😉 I'm in Santa Clarita, CA (SoCal), and every morning for the last 3 weeks, it's been in the mid-30s, and everyone's freaking out. It's kind of hilarious. 

Congrats on the 225s - they're so gorgeous - they're very high on my list of must-try's just to see if we get along. 🙂

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

1 hour ago, Samsonite said:

...Your winter lasts a whole week??? 😉 I'm in Santa Clarita, CA (SoCal), and every morning for the last 3 weeks, it's been in the mid-30s, and everyone's freaking out. It's kind of hilarious. 

Congrats on the 225s - they're so gorgeous - they're very high on my list of must-try's just to see if we get along. 🙂

Ha. I wish it was just a week.. am original from NYC, so by now my clubs would have been put away until March (maybe)
But here in Texas its weird.. it was jus 70s the week before, then down to the 30-50s and next week down to the 10-20s.
BUT the following week "suppose to be in the mid 50s"  who knows.. all I know that in February there will be a week that it will be in the 20s, then Winter is over and summer begins the week after.. 

Thanks.. they are good looking clubs.... my friend thought they were blades when he first saw them.. he was like WTF you doing with blades.. lol

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

1 hour ago, MrBandit said:

Ha. I wish it was just a week.. am original from NYC, so by now my clubs would have been put away until March (maybe)
But here in Texas its weird.. it was jus 70s the week before, then down to the 30-50s and next week down to the 10-20s.
BUT the following week "suppose to be in the mid 50s"  who knows.. all I know that in February there will be a week that it will be in the 20s, then Winter is over and summer begins the week after.. 

Thanks.. they are good looking clubs.... my friend thought they were blades when he first saw them.. he was like WTF you doing with blades.. lol

We get a similar thing - I'm far enough outside of (and higher elevation than) LA that it confuses the LA natives when I say there's frost on the car in the morning.  Our anniversary is Feb 13 - and it was 85 the day we got married (and most anniversaries since), but we definitely get some "weather" around here.  Played on this Friday past and it was in the 40s most of the front 9, and it was incredible.  Never got above 55, and it was pretty spectacular.  Not that I PREFER playing in "cool" weather, but I can appreciate it.  Not so much 10-20 - good lord - that's CT weather (where I grew up), and why I moved away 🙂

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

On 7/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, Angry Birdies said:

I think you answered your own question.....your gamer v 225 in the SIM. Aside from carry, would focus on spin, launch ang and height.

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 9:49 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Smart play here - hitting all options and not letting ego drive the decision 👍.  I suspect the 223 or 225's would be my best options.  Just starting a DIY build project to test out some various options. The plan is to pick out some 6i or 7i heads and shaft (or re-shaft) with either MMT or Recoil shafts which fit me well.  At some point, I'd love to find a Mizuno fitter and see what their "shaft analyzer" shows as my best fit... always been intrigued by that device.

I see that the MP-20HB is the predecessor to the 225, and the MP-20MMC the previous version of the 223. But, based on descriptions, much has changed between these releases - more so on the 223's.  I'm hoping to save a little $$ by choosing prior product cycle releases but, on some make/models, the differences may be too significant? 🤔

These sure look like a great set of options that should cover a wide span of players.  Nice job Mizuno 👏.

In 2040, you learn the same tech was in a sonicare toothbrush. 😆

Mizuno irons, hybrids and Driver of the week 😆.  Cally wedges from CPO!

Nice Shot Man! ⛳️ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 12:14 PM, MattF said:

Absolutely, but it's a case of I want this but need those, so intelligence won over ego.

I wish I was like you...lol. I tend to go with what pleases my eye over what is really best for my game. Since I've never been accused of being intelligent, I'll probably go with the 223's when I finally convince myself to purchase new irons. 😬

• 2 weeks later...