TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 Most Wanted Wedge

TBS

Another great test by the MGS crew - https://mygolfspy.com/2021-most-wanted-wedge/

Wow have the top wedges gotten expensive. For a piece of equipment that you are supposed to replace every year or 2, $150+ is getting steep. But, I think if I needed to upgrade, I might try the Sub70. Seems like a great budget option for a third of the price with only a slight drop off in performance. Who else misses the days of Cleveland RTX4?

What is your biggest takeaway from this test? 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

9 minutes ago, TBS said:

I was surprised at how good the DTC wedges were.    The Edel wasn’t as good as I thought they would be based on feedback on the forum; the moving of the weights was interesting but don’t think it really made that big of a difference in my swing.   For me the Cleveland’s and Titleist are great wedges and have great balance. 

I also agree that with a club the you are supposed to switch out with some frequency they are really expensive.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, TBS said:

I am surprised by the degree of difference between wet and dry. When I fist read about Ping's Hydropearl finish I thought it sounded like marketing talk. Now I'm impressed. 

I'm also fairly sure that when it comes time for replacing my wedges I'll stick with the TM Milled Grind. I have the original version, which I got after a couple of fittings and some trial and error, and am very happy with. With the sole grind remaining essentially the same I'm confident they're still the club for me.

As far as replacing every couple years, my instructor encouraged me to get a regrooving tool. If you're not playing tournaments, there is no risk of being found marginally non-conforming. He keeps two of each wedge, one for daily play that he refurbishes when needed, and a tournament set that he's sure can pass any rules test.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

What I learned here is that the DTC space is really continually putting out some high quality products, and that it's weird that the new Honma wedges weren't included because of their performance in 2019, but them's the breaks. I look forward to potentially doing some solo wedge testing next season if my new iron purchase goes through as it will affect what lofts I will need.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

9 hours ago, TBS said:

... Since I ordered my MG3 58* several weeks ago I am pleased MGS got it right. 😇

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Biggest takeaways for me:

1.) The Cleveland CBX2 & CBX2 Full Face wedges were omitted in favor of the prior model. I never thought that I would use or like a cavity-back wedge model, but I was given the opportunity to take out the 54* and 58* CBX2 wedges and I loved them! The standard 54-12 CBX2 and full-face 58-10 are now in my bag for about 5-6 weeks and are performing great.

2.) Based on the consistency numbers put up by the Sub 70 286 wedge line, it appears that I made a good choice in purchasing the raw version of this wedge in 50* loft. My experience with this wedge after about 8 to 10 rounds of use bear out the consistency results that MGS got with it. This wedge is deadly accurate!

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

9 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Biggest takeaways for me:

1.) The Cleveland CBX2 & CBX2 Full Face wedges were omitted in favor of the prior model. I never thought that I would use or like a cavity-back wedge model, but I was given the opportunity to take out the 54* and 58* CBX2 wedges and I loved them! The standard 54-12 CBX2 and full-face 58-10 are now in my bag for about 5-6 weeks and are performing great.

I don’t think there is a CBX2 full faced wedge,  it is labeled as CBX full faced on the Cleveland site.  There was no CBX2 in the test as Cleveland probably didn’t submit them for testing.   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Correct! I should have been more clear. I have the CBX2 in 54* loft, and the CBX 58* full-face version. I demo'd the standard CBX2 in 58* loft, but decided that I wanted to try a full-face model as my highest-lofted wedge, so I opted for the full-face CBX with 58* loft and 10* of bounce.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like my Edel wedges, but man, the loss of spin in wet conditions is drastic. Living in the PNW, we are just hitting rainy season, so curious to see what happens. I haven't played them in really  wet conditions yet. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

@cnosil - what is the protocol for wet wedge testing? is it spraying water on ball only, ball and clubface, etc?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

... I will be the first to admit I am not sure how one muscle back wedge can be more accurate than another, especially if they are similar in deign with an equally similar sole grind. That said, I have found my MG3 58* LB to be the most accurate LW I have ever played. I used to find excuses to not use my Vokey SM8/Mizuno T20 58/8 like hitting a half 50* wedge instead. But now I do the opposite with my MG3, choosing it when I may come up 5 yds short because I know the distance and direction will be very consistent. Fortunately I really can't comment on the wet performance as I play late in the day and rain is pretty rare around Phoenix but the MGS Most Wanted says wet performance is excellent.

34 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I will be the first to admit I am not sure how one muscle back wedge can be more accurate than another, especially if they are similar in deign with an equally similar sole grind. That said, I have found my MG3 58* LB to be the most accurate LW I have ever played. I used to find excuses to not use my Vokey SM8/Mizuno T20 58/8 like hitting a half 50* wedge instead. But now I do the opposite with my MG3, choosing it when I may come up 5 yds short because I know the distance and direction will be very consistent. Fortunately I really can't comment on the wet performance as I play late in the day and rain is pretty rare around Phoenix but the MGS Most Wanted says wet performance is excellent.

Have you hit either the 1st or 2nd gen MG wedges?

I would have had better luck getting ink out of them than using either generation for approaches into greens.  I am trying to grasp how they could be leaps and bounds better than their predecessor OR the SM8 line.

The SM8 is one of the best Vokey's I've played in years...absolutely love what I can accomplish with this club.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Have you hit either the 1st or 2nd gen MG wedges?

I would have had better luck getting ink out of them than using either generation for approaches into greens.  I am trying to grasp how they could be leaps and bounds better than their predecessor OR the SM8 line.

The SM8 is one of the best Vokey's I've played in years...absolutely love what I can accomplish with this club.

... I did not play either of the first 2 MG generations, just tested them in a fitting. In fact I didn't like the feel of the original at all. I loved my Vokey SM8 D Grind in the soft Midwest conditions but needed less bounce here in the desert. The Mizuno 58/8 performed better in my fitting but never did on the course. I went to a Vokey M Grind so there is a lot at play here. This could most definitely be a combination of me finally getting better at playing my LW's in desert conditions with the Vokey laying the ground work for the MG3. Obviously Vokeys are played on tour for more reasons than equipment contracts and it is clearly a favorite for the best players in the world.  So I am not saying one is better than the other, just that the MG3 works better for me and I have more confidence in it. I have always preferred a dead straight leading edge, which the MG3 has and the Vokey is just slightly rounded.  🙈 🙉 🙊

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I did not play either of the first 2 MG generations, just tested them in a fitting. In fact I didn't like the feel of the original at all. I loved my Vokey SM8 D Grind in the soft Midwest conditions but needed less bounce here in the desert. The Mizuno 58/8 performed better in my fitting but never did on the course. I went to a Vokey M Grind so there is a lot at play here. This could most definitely be a combination of me finally getting better at playing my LW's in desert conditions with the Vokey laying the ground work for the MG3. Obviously Vokeys are played on tour for more reasons than equipment contracts and it is clearly a favorite for the best players in the world.  So I am not saying one is better than the other, just that the MG3 works better for me and I have more confidence in it. I have always preferred a dead straight leading edge, which the MG3 has and the Vokey is just slightly rounded.  🙈 🙉 🙊

That all makes sense, clearly they did something right to win the testing.

I am looking at this trying to peel away what specifically it was from anyone who has given them some reps.

Thanks Sam.  Nice shooting today btw!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

@cnosil - what is the protocol for wet wedge testing? is it spraying water on ball only, ball and clubface, etc?

Protocol was to wet the mat,  2 sprays on the ball,  use dry wedge.

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

That all makes sense, clearly they did something right to win the testing.

I am looking at this trying to peel away what specifically it was from anyone who has given them some reps.

Hard to say what they did different since I was unable to test them side by side.   I liked the older MG model,  but the new one does perform very well.