TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS - Yahoo Fantasy Golf 2012 (THREAD)

Maverickping

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on guys, are you giving up on me here? It's no fun kicking all your arses, if you aren't going to respond. :D

I'm having a horrible segment, so I'm giving you a chance.

Lee Westwood is going to win his first major this week, so you better make sure he is on your roster.

I'm just trying to win the segment at this point, but by all means if you want to bench your players so I can have a possibility to catch up, go ahead!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just trying to win the segment at this point, but by all means if you want to bench your players so I can have a possibility to catch up, go ahead!

Agree, that would be wonderful if he could bench a few guys! ha

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

• 4 weeks later...

Just a question and kind of late I know... but do bench players get points?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

OK, then I've been playing this thing wrong all this time. I just let my 4 starters get points while leaving the bench do nothing. LOL

So what's the secret here? Let the startes play day 1, bench plays day 2 and then swap them back? Or?

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

OK, then I've been playing this thing wrong all this time. I just let my 4 starters get points while leaving the bench do nothing. LOL

So what's the secret here? Let the startes play day 1, bench plays day 2 and then swap them back? Or?

I'll give you some advise, since I am in first place /insert evil snicker/. I won't swap out a player that is in contention until Sunday morning, unless it's filling in a spot for someone that missed the cut. There's no sense in wasting a start unless they are going to get you the bonus points. I've used this strategy all year and well, you've seen where it got me. I am having a horrible final segment though.

I'll give you some advise, since I am in first place /insert evil snicker/. I won't swap out a player that is in contention until Sunday morning, unless it's filling in a spot for someone that missed the cut. There's no sense in wasting a start unless they are going to get you the bonus points. I've used this strategy all year and well, you've seen where it got me. I am having a horrible final segment though.

Thanks man.

Well, look at me and I've been playing with 4 players until now.

I didn't know you could swap the MC for the bench... I would just leave them there wasting a spot!!!

So for example... if I have Nick Watney on my bench and he is leading right now... I can just swap him on Sunday and his points will count together with the starter I swap him with?

Next season... beware!!! :D

Also, when you swap them... is the deadline before the first tee off or before the tee times are announced?

The only secret I've found here is when JBones said he starts players with early tee times on Thursday. But it normally just comes down to luck. You hope the four guys you start will all play better than the four you leave on your bench. At some point... usually after round 2, or 3, you have to replace some of your starters with bench guys who are playing better or replace starters who miss the cut. Be careful of starting players near the bottom of the leaderboard after round 2 or 3. If more than 78 players make the cut, there is another cut (MDF) after round 3. So some players who make the cut may not play on Sunday. Players who score low one day are prone to shoot higher the next, and vise versa. There's just a lot of luck involved with getting the right players in your starting lineup.

Just knowing that I can swap bench player before a round makes a whole lot of difference.

Yeah, it comes down to luck... but it will be much easier to score with 8 guys instead of 4 :D

But it's my own fault for not asking at the beginning of the season :P

One more thing, all players on the bench have to play at least 1 day in order to get points, right? So you could swap them for one day and then swap the starters back if they are playing well?

You can only start each player 10 times over the full season. Starting a player for one round counts as a start for that player. If you are always shuffling and starting everyone, you may run out of starts for top players before the end of the season.

There is no reason to start your bench players at all if your original starters are playing well. Bonus points are awarded for any player that finishes in the top three, assuming you have started them for at least one round. 20 points for 1st, 10 for 2nd and 5 for 3rd. If someone on your bench hasn't started that week and has the potential to finish in the top three after three rounds, you'll want to start them for the final round in the hope of earning bonus points. Otherwise, the only reason to replace your original starters is if they miss the cut, or if you think your bench players will shoot lower scores. Your best weeks will be weeks when you don't have to use your bench. But in my case, I'm normally shuffling my lineup because my bench is playing better than my starters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats JB, was a lot of fun. I'm pretty happy taking the summer segment. The gap you opened in the Spring segment was too much. Can't wait till next season starts.

If I wouldn't have had that monster Spring segment, I wouldn't have even been close to the top. Last year I sat in 2nd behind Dave all year and then fell to 5th over the last 4 tournaments.

Congrats JBones, way to dominate!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Congrats JB - I'm very happy to learn that you won this - I've never played fantasy golf - I may have to give it a whirl next season - based on a major's pool that I participate in with my fantasy football guys it should be a nice little donation for the rest of the group. :huh:

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Congrats JB - I'm very happy to learn that you won this - I've never played fantasy golf - I may have to give it a whirl next season - based on a major's pool that I participate in with my fantasy football guys it should be a nice little donation for the rest of the group. :huh:

It is fun and lets you root for different guys during a tourney. I don't know if I won overall, just our group; Syard from the other group was right on my tail that last update that came out and I definitely didn't have a good segment.

I need to congratulate -

Bogies . Winter

DGolf - Summer

JBones - Spring and Overall winner

As a huge winner last year - ( 2 segments and overall iirc / Thanks MGS ) I know how difficult it is week in week out to gather your group of players.

Miss a week...you might as well kiss the contest goodbye.

Had an especially enjoyable Weds. evening ?

You had better be up @ 5am if the tourney is in your time zone to get those Yahoo picks in.

This was a tough season for me, diligent as I was - placed 20th :rolleyes:

I trust that you all enjoy this years prizes - you have truly earned them.

I would be remiss if I did not close this out and say THANK YOU to the Mysterious Golf Spy and his

Merry Band Of Caddies for putting on a terrific contest and bending sponsors arms for the great prizes.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Congrats to the winners! I'm stuck in the middle of the pack but hoping I'll improve on that next year. Jbones, WD and others have set some high standards. I'll miss fantasy golf for the next three months. I'll fill in with fantasy football, but I'm even worse at that.

I had 5806 in MyGolfSpy Group #2, curious JB what was your winning overall score, congrats!

Well, we aren't talking about group 2, because all the cool people were in group 1.

I had 5801. What did Syard end up with in your group? The last update that came out I think he was only 40 behind me and you were like 60. I knew my score wouldn't hold up to you guys, I had a HORRIBLE summer segment.

Archived