TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Quest to Break 90.

14 hours ago, MNUte said:

So there you go. A plan for a straight but narrow front nine without driver or wood and in which you only need to be consistent with five clubs: 5 iron nine times (your tee club), 7 iron once, 9 iron six times, PW three times, LW three times. It won't all go according to plan like that, but it shows that even from the blues you don't necessarily need to use your driver to shoot below bogey golf if your iron and particularly your wedge game get dialed in. 

Thanks for breaking it down like this!  Very illuminating

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

Just now, Jonny_Crash said:

I sometimes fall pray to the driver, iron, putter concept of golf.  If the goal is to score well, not just to hit all of my clubs then a change in mentality is worth it.  Let's be honest though.... it's sometimes just fun to hit the driver (even when we know we shouldn't).  

Not disagreeing with you in any way.   That is why what I described is hard; people want to hit driver and don’t see just safely advancing the ball as proper golf;  mental aspect of golf is tough.  If you simply want to break 90 why not give it a try and see how you do. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Not disagreeing with you in any way.   That is why what I described is hard; people want to hit driver and don’t see just safely advancing the ball as proper golf;  mental aspect of golf is tough.  If you simply want to break 90 why not give it a try and see how you do. 

Definitely will.  

I'm headed to  Moab this weekend for what is usually a guys bike trip.  However, given my recovering Achilles, I'll be hitting the links.  I'm probably going to play Moab GC and Hideout (down in Monticello).  I'm going to keep the driver and 3W in the bag for at least one of these rounds and concentrate on keeping the ball in play and scoring.  They are both on the shorter side:

Moab: 6,180 from the blues (69.4/128)

Moab GC has a couple of longer par 4's in the 380-390 range.  But a good 5i off the tee should leave me anywhere from a 6i to 8i in.  So that should be feasible.  I'll probably play a couple of those as 5's.     In general it looks pretty wide open, so the chances of a lost ball seem slim.  Provided I keep it more or less in play I should have a decent chance of scoring.

Hideout: 6,225 yards from the blues 69.7/126

This course looks a lot tighter with some more hazards, so it may lead to some higher scores if I spray a ball here or there.  It looks quite lovely an should be a good time. 

I'll map out a more distinct strategy in the coming days for both courses.  

I played 18 twice this past weekend.  Once at Moab Golf and once Hideout in Monticello, Utah.  I ditched the driver for the weekend and took a 5i off the tee (with the occasional 3i).  I played Moab on Thursday.  I ran out of light so I didn't really score the back nine (plus my swing left me).  So for the front 9 I shot a 52. 

Stats:

• I hit 4 fairways 
  • 2.1 putts/hole (19 total)
  • 12 chip/pitch shots
  • 1 penalty shot

My approach/short game was abysmal.  I missed all the greens in regulation.  I tripled both par 5's and doubled 3 of the Par 4's.  I left quite a few shots short and topped a couple approach shots.  I've been trying to re-route my swing so it isn't as OTT, so that led to some frustrating shots.  

Overall there were some positives.  Tee shots with the 5i all worked really well. I kept the ball in play and was in the 200-230 range more or less in the fairway.  So that was  good change.  It was a fun track and lovely weather (just a bit overcast).  

IMG_2169.jpg

On Friday I played Hideout in Monticello, Utah.  Link  It was a wonderful course and I was able to play by myself and work on my game.  Regrettably, I was stuck behind the slowest foursome of all time.  Every time I got to the tee behind them, they would race off down the fairway.  I should have been more assertive about playing through but alas.  However, it did give me time to take notes on each hole, so that was nice.  

I ended up playing terribly and shot a 117.  I was okay off the tee, but everything else was a bit of a disaster.  My swing was all out of sorts around the 13th hole and I more or less just gave up.  (took two 10's and then went bogey, double, double).   

Stats:

• I only hit 4 fairways, but a couple were just off the side (so that is fine for me)
  • I hit 3 GIR
  • 37 putts (2.1 per hole)
  • 20 chip shots (so lots of dinking about with the short game)
  • 7 penalties (mostly on the back nine)
  • 2 sand shots (both out first time).  

My notes are as follows:

1. FW 250 yds, GIR, Bad first put left 10’ (5)
  2. 5i right second cut, 7i, 54* bladed onto green, 2 putt (5)
  3. miss short right. Chip on 2 putt (4)
  4. topped tee ball short into junk. Re-teed right 2nd cut,  Left 4th short. 2 bad chips severely uphill, one good chip to 18”, one putt (8)
  5. tee shot blocked by tree, 2nd punch out; 3rd bunker; 4th out, 5 chip, 6-7 putts (7)
  6. lost tee shot, 3rd 250 3i, chunked 54. Chip on 2 putt. (7)
  7. front right bunker with 9i, easy out and 2 putt (4) 
  8. left off tee; punch to 150, 3rd short. 4th bladed over into hazard (pen), 2 pitches on, 3 putt (10)
  9. 250 left off tee. 2 tough shots out of rough, pw long and R. Pitch on and 1 putt (7) 
  10. OB left. Punch under tree, punch away from trees. Chip 2,  putt 2 (8)
  11. 9i on. Ripped back 10’. Tough 3 putt (4)
  12. Tee shot left. Kicked down hill to FW; chunked approach: pitch on. 2 putt (5)
  13. Tee shot left kicked to fw. Topped ob for pen, Then went long ob for a pen, chip on and 2 putt (10)
  14. 2 tee balls lost ob left. Couple chunks and misfits. Pitch on 2 putt (10)
  15. Fw 200 uphill with 5i. Chunked one. On in 3, 2 putt bogey (5)
  16.  One right OB. Reload 260 middle. GW to fringe, chip on 1 putt (6)
  17. tee shot short, downhill pitch over a swale… into that. Pitch to backside, 3 putt (6) 
  18. Topped tee shot. PW to 170. Hero shot over creek with 8i,  Pitch on, 2 putt (6)

All in all, very uneven round.  I did hit some great shots of the tee, which was nice. Generally kept it in play (aside from 13 and 14).  I hit a couple of 230 yd 5i's and one 250 yd 3U.  

About the 8th hole, my swing just started feeling so unnatural and awkward.  Approach shots in particular just felt awful.  This resulted in a lot of fat shots.  I realized I was swaying badly in my takeaway.  This got me so far behind the ball it was almost impossible to get a good strike.  So I left a ton of shots there.  The tee shots OB were also bad.  Couple from leaving the clubface open (due to the sway) and a couple from swinging all arms and yanking it left.  

IMG_2181.jpg

Ultimately it was a frustrating weekend of golf (albeit very fun and pretty). 

I make a lot of mistakes on the course, that cost me a lot of strokes.  The complete lack of a short game this weekend was a bit of a shocker.  My wedge game is usually one of my stronger areas of play.  I'll hit the practice area and try to tighten that up.  

I've been trying to keep my hands outside a bit more on my backswing and I've fallen into a big lateral sway.  Then I'm not getting back to square. On the weekend,  I missed 7 tee shots left and 5 right.  The approach shots were mostly pushes and generally missed right.  It's clearly just time for a lesson.  I need an objective eye on things.  It's hard to play golf when you don't know where the ball is going.   

13 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

I've been trying to keep my hands outside a bit more on my backswing and I've fallen into a big lateral sway.  Then I'm not getting back to square. On the weekend,  I missed 7 tee shots left and 5 right.  The approach shots were mostly pushes and generally missed right.  It's clearly just time for a lesson.  I need an objective eye on things.  It's hard to play golf when you don't know where the ball is going.   

I know a lot of responses on the forum tend to trend towards "get a lesson" when it comes to swing issues, or "get fit" when it comes to equipment issues, but they're usually the best way to go. I'll never forget the range session that led me to getting a few lessons, which made a world of difference. Am I regularly in the 80's? Nope, not even close. But I'm regularly in low 90's approaching high 80's and I can diagnose what's going wrong more often than not. Sometimes a few simple tweaks under the eye of a pro can make a huge difference in your game. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

18 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I know a lot of responses on the forum tend to trend towards "get a lesson" when it comes to swing issues, or "get fit" when it comes to equipment issues, but they're usually the best way to go. I'll never forget the range session that led me to getting a few lessons, which made a world of difference. Am I regularly in the 80's? Nope, not even close. But I'm regularly in low 90's approaching high 80's and I can diagnose what's going wrong more often than not. Sometimes a few simple tweaks under the eye of a pro can make a huge difference in your game. 

Yeah, it just makes sense to get it sorted out by someone who knows what they are doing.  

49 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

I've been trying to keep my hands outside a bit more on my backswing

Can you elaborate on this? Don’t understand what you are tryin to accomplish and what outside references?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Can you elaborate on this? Don’t understand what you are tryin to accomplish and what outside references?

Sure,  I have a very inside takeaway.  So I'm trying to keep the club more down the line in my backswing.  I guess I'm referring to keeping my hands "outside" as keeping the club down the line in the backswing.   I see how that was confusing.  

My issue (one of them) is I tend to look at my hands during the backswing and end up swaying as a result and get behind the ball.  

1 hour ago, Jonny_Crash said:

Sure,  I have a very inside takeaway.  So I'm trying to keep the club more down the line in my backswing.  I guess I'm referring to keeping my hands "outside" as keeping the club down the line in the backswing.   I see how that was confusing.  

My issue (one of them) is I tend to look at my hands during the backswing and end up swaying as a result and get behind the ball.  

The club shouldn’t really be going down the line that long. It’s supposed to be working on an arc. You hand path is a should be working in while the club works out. If you keep the club on the target line too long you get disconnected with the body and the club is going to more than likely end up off plane and you will have to compensate for it. Based on the video you posted at the beginning your weight at setup is too far towards the toe and combined with the swing thought you have you won’t be able to shallow it properly. In the video you posted you can see the early extension in your swing from the club being steep in transition to avoid the off balance in the swing.

here’s video of morikawa and Tiger. Two great ball strikers. Look at their hands and club going back, you will notice it not staying on the target line that long

https://youtu.be/02imCuJAZCw

https://youtu.be/GyRPcn0E-bc

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

My thought is really just "club down the line when parallel to the ground," but what you say makes sense.  It does feel disconnected.  

I'll have to play with the balance.  I do notice I get toe heavy.  

56 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

My thought is really just "club down the line when parallel to the ground," but what you say makes sense.  It does feel disconnected.  

I'll have to play with the balance.  I do notice I get toe heavy.  

For the setup keep legs straight then bend at the waist without pushing your hips back. When you feel 70% if your weight on your toes softening your knees a little. This will help with the balance.

Based on what I’ve read and see in your video you are focused on using a one piece takeaway. A couple drills to help connectivity with arms and chest and takeaway. 1) place a long towel across the the chest and under the armpits. It should stay in place til your left arm get parallel. Work on taking practice swings to left arm parallel. 2) place a ball behind your club at address and use the upper body to turn and push that away without it going flying back.

In the one piece takeaway  approach your hands should be working even to where they start at address and not further away from the body and almost getting closer to the right leg. Once your hands pass the right leg your wrist should start to set. This will start the club going parallel to the ground then from there you should a very slight bend in the right elbow. From this point it’s a bend of the elbow and completing the shoulder turn

Aces! Thank you! 

Played a soggy 9 this morning.  Didn't hit the range at all this week, so I had some low expectations going into the round and was just hoping to hit some good ones here and there.  

Finished with a 55.  Couple of silly mistakes here and there, but overall was pretty decent.  Stats:

• 18 Putts
  • 8 chip/pitch shots (3 holes with doubles).  This is an area I can really cut down some strokes... just get the ball on the green with these.
  • 4 penalty strokes was also a killer.  1 3u pushed into a lateral, 1 tee shoot into a big tree, 1 blade over a green into a hazard; and 1 pushed 9i on a par 3 (I did stick my reload to 5' though, missed the putt by 1").   
  • Only 1 GIR and 1 FW

Highlights:

• Stuck a 58* from 77yds to about 8'  just missed the putt
  • 2 really good 5i off the tee that ended up 220 ish
  • Putting was pretty good on wet and slow greens.  Only 3 putts were the first two holes

Takeaways: 

• If a club isn't working off the tee... keep working down until I find something that does.  I was topping some balls off the tee with my 3U, which led to some long recovery shots.  Should have switched to the 5i, which I was striping off the tee. 
  • I just need to pitch/chip to the middle of the green and then 2 putt.  I almost always 2 putt (averaging 2.2 putts per hole over the past 24 rounds)

IMG_2241.jpg.13ec3887fa3d65bb57c9ad6d4373e2fc.jpg

Edited by Jonny_Crash
added picture

7 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

Played a soggy 9 this morning.  Didn't hit the range at all this week, so I had some low expectations going into the round and was just hoping to hit some good ones here and there.  

Finished with a 55.  Couple of silly mistakes here and there, but overall was pretty decent.  Stats:

• 18 Putts
  • 8 chip/pitch shots (3 holes with doubles).  This is an area I can really cut down some strokes... just get the ball on the green with these.
  • 4 penalty strokes was also a killer.  1 3u pushed into a lateral, 1 tee shoot into a big tree, 1 blade over a green into a hazard; and 1 pushed 9i on a par 3 (I did stick my reload to 5' though, missed the putt by 1").   
  • Only 1 GIR and 1 FW

Highlights:

• Stuck a 58* from 77yds to about 8'  just missed the putt
  • 2 really good 5i off the tee that ended up 220 ish
  • Putting was pretty good on wet and slow greens.  Only 3 putts were the first two holes

Takeaways: 

• If a club isn't working off the tee... keep working down until I find something that does.  I was topping some balls off the tee with my 3U, which led to some long recovery shots.  Should have switched to the 5i, which I was striping off the tee. 
  • I just need to pitch/chip to the middle of the green and then 2 putt.  I almost always 2 putt (averaging 2.2 putts per hole over the past 24 rounds)

IMG_2241.jpg.13ec3887fa3d65bb57c9ad6d4373e2fc.jpg

Love the scenery in you photo.

penalty strokes are a killer; I know this is an obvious statement but really work to avoid those.  

what was the issue with the 8 pitch/chip shots?  Missing greens will result in lots of these shots.  I am guessing lots of thin and fat shots.  No need to get to a range for these,  just go in your backyard and work on contact and hitting these short shots.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Love the scenery in you photo.

penalty strokes are a killer; I know this is an obvious statement but really work to avoid those.  

what was the issue with the 8 pitch/chip shots?  Missing greens will result in lots of these shots.  I am guessing lots of thin and fat shots.  No need to get to a range for these,  just go in your backyard and work on contact and hitting these short shots.  

Yeah, the penalty strokes always get me.  I only lost one ball today, which was nice... Part of the pitch/chip shots is blading/chunking.  Sometimes I simply just pitch from one side to the other (distance control issues). 

I have had a hard time lately getting solid contact on 50 yd shots.  This used to be a great part of my game, but I've gotten really steep lately and it has resulted in a lot of chunks and leaving myself short of the green.  I'd wager I lose 2-4 strokes per nine on shots left short from 100 yards and in.  

• Only 1 GIR and 1 FW

Highlights:

Takeaways: 

Some combination of your putting and chipping need attention. 18 putts on 1 GIR should not be considered a highlight. 18 putts if you hit 6+ (or 9 lol) GIR would be a more reasonable highlight, but 2 putts/hole is the maximum you should allow for if you want to break 90. The assumption is you should be able to chip some balls close enough to 1 putt (30% is a good number) along with the occasional 1 putt after a GIR. A 3 putt on a GIR will happen, but shouldn't be happening on a missed green where you chipped on. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

9 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

I'd wager I lose 2-4 strokes per nine on shots left short from 100 yards and in.  

From your summary above you mention you had 3 holes with 2 chips, so that 3 lost shots, +1 penalty from a skull for 4, and another hole with a 3 putt after a chip is 5. Not to mention the easier chips that should be leaving you 1 putts. So you are probably losing 5-7 strokes per nine from inside 100. (Plus the longer shots in this range that finish out of position). 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

10 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Some combination of your putting and chipping need attention. 18 putts on 1 GIR should not be considered a highlight. 18 putts if you hit 6+ (or 9 lol) GIR would be a more reasonable highlight, but 2 putts/hole is the maximum you should allow for if you want to break 90. The assumption is you should be able to chip some balls close enough to 1 putt (30% is a good number) along with the occasional 1 putt after a GIR. A 3 putt on a GIR will happen, but shouldn't be happening on a missed green where you chipped on. 

It's definitely that I'm not chipping/pitching close enough to the hole (or leaving myself a tough putt).  Some of it is just weird greens as well.  

Here is how today went: 

1. GIR:  Really tough two tier green.  1st, left 5' back up hill.  Finished 2" short on 2nd.
  2. approach from 50 yds to front of green (back pin) 40' from hole.  1st putt left short in the wet to about 10'  2nd putt to 3"
  3. Duffed a pitch from 20 yds,  Second pitch from 15 yds onto the green, but left a 15' putt.  2 putt.
  4. Pitched from 50 yds to front of green.  20' two putt
  5. Really nasty two tier green (pin was on back/lower).  Pitched on from about 10 yds, rolled off back.  Chipped back up  (off a severe uphill lie) to 5'  missed the uphill putt, made comeback.
  6. Par 3, short about 30 yds.  Chipped to 5' and made putt
  7. 58* from 77 yards to 8' 1st putt missed by 2" 
  8. Chunked a pitch from 30 yds to rough in front of elevated green.  Chipped past hole to back fringe.  Tough 2 putt
  9. Par 3 (first shot ob, stuck second to 5'), one putt. 

I was really close to knocking down a couple of these putts, but didn't.   I'm seeing two issues in writing this out.  First, I don't lag putt very well on longer putts I need to leave myself better 2nd putts.  Second,  I'm really bad at pitching the ball.  My consistency and distance control is poor.  This leaves longer putts that I'm not making.  

18 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

From your summary above you mention you had 3 holes with 2 chips, so that 3 lost shots, +1 penalty from a skull for 4, and another hole with a 3 putt after a chip is 5. Not to mention the easier chips that should be leaving you 1 putts. So you are probably losing 5-7 strokes per nine from inside 100. (Plus the longer shots in this range that finish out of position). 

That sounds about right.  This is definitely an area of my game I need to work on.  

1 minute ago, Lsuarez@bigv said:

If you can't break 90 with your yardages as quoted, you are in serious need of a mental coach not a swing coach!

Don't think this is an appropriate comment. There is much more to golf and scoring than how far you can hit the ball. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 hours ago, Lsuarez@bigv said:

If you can't break 90 with your yardages as quoted, you are in serious need of a mental coach not a swing coach!

There is a lot of truth to this.  My playing partners are frequently amazed at how high my score is... given my swing. 

Keep it in the short grass and work on chipping and putting. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

I try to keep things more or less on a clock system and adjust the backswing based upon the distance.  I sometimes get a bit handsy (haha) which lets to the inconsistency.  My best short game is when I'm using the big muscles.  

I've been trying to get the ball on the ground a lot quicker (it seems more repeatable and controllable).  

Still a work in progress... evidently haha.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been out much lately, but did hit the range a couple times last week.  I was working on getting away from the inside takeaway, but realized I was getting disconnected and causing a sway.  Keeping my left arm attached to my chest in the backswing helped to keep things more in sync and the backswing shorter.  

One thing I've really noticed is that I try to muscle my swing too much.  I get steep and quick when this happens and end up with a lot of chunks.  If I take it easy and swing free I'm a lot more in sync (and generally hit much further).  So, a big thought is swing easy for me.  

I'll try to get some video next time I'm out (tomorrow probably).

I haven't been out much lately, but did hit the range a couple times last week.  I was working on getting away from the inside takeaway, but realized I was getting disconnected and causing a sway.  Keeping my left arm attached to my chest in the backswing helped to keep things more in sync and the backswing shorter.  

One thing I've really noticed is that I try to muscle my swing too much.  I get steep and quick when this happens and end up with a lot of chunks.  If I take it easy and swing free I'm a lot more in sync (and generally hit much further).  So, a big thought is swing easy for me.  

I'll try to get some video next time I'm out (tomorrow probably).

Like this one I get the same way so much so that I have am moving to some lighter shafts to help feel like I don't need to put in as much effort while still maintaining speed. Keep up the hard work.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

You've gotten lots of good swing advice here, and I'm not one to give you more.  I'm an old fart, but regularly shoot in the 80s with a very occasional 70 score.  I do think you need to focus as much, or more, on the short game, as some have said---get better around the greens and with a putter.  You should also think more about course management---hit your driver and then hit to the middle of the green.  Skip the hero shots.  As you're a self-described golf nerd, Jon Sherman's material is great for course management---look at his Practical Golf material and website.  And there's an excellent podcast series put together by Sherman and a very good swing guru, Adam Young---the name of the podcast is The Sweet Spot.  Good luck, keep at it, you have all the tools.