TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Quest to Break 90.

4 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Here is my .02...

If your normal 150 club is 9i, try to hit some full swing shots 150y with a 7 or 6 iron.  Try taking 2-4 more club and hit them a specific yardage with full swings.  Try it on the range and then take it too the course.

Thanks, I've been trying to hit one club more to certain targets.    Our range has top tracer, so it is easy to pick targets and distances.  It's been pretty helpful!

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

• 3 weeks later...

I was down in St. George, Utah the early part of this week for a conference and figured I'd play some golf while down there.  I drove down from SLC to Mesquite on Sunday and played 18 at Conestoga.  I warmed up on the range okay, but played a total disaster of a round.  I took me almost 9 holes to realize I was sliding my hips forward on the downswing resulting in a nasty top.  I started to pull it together on the back 9 and hit a couple of decent shots and scrambled a bit better.  Of course by the time I got on the back 9 there was a 30 MPH cross wind on most holes.  It was not a great round, but that course is something I'm going to have to play again.

Wednesday afternoon I played Copper Rock   This is sort of a strange course, it is relatively new ~ 5 years and is still growing into itself.  However, it was fun and I played much better.  I did purchase a new driver while down there.  I got a Ping 425LST 9* with the Rouge White Shaft.  I had done some driver testing a while back and really loved this one.  I put it in play and hit really well.  Only lost one out to the right, which is a marked improvement! 

I still am fighting a push/push-slice with my longer irons, but I think things are coming around for the golf season. 

On 3/25/2022 at 1:34 PM, Jonny_Crash said:

I was down in St. George, Utah the early part of this week for a conference and figured I'd play some golf while down there.  I drove down from SLC to Mesquite on Sunday and played 18 at Conestoga.  I warmed up on the range okay, but played a total disaster of a round.  I took me almost 9 holes to realize I was sliding my hips forward on the downswing resulting in a nasty top.  I started to pull it together on the back 9 and hit a couple of decent shots and scrambled a bit better.  Of course by the time I got on the back 9 there was a 30 MPH cross wind on most holes.  It was not a great round, but that course is something I'm going to have to play again.

Wednesday afternoon I played Copper Rock   This is sort of a strange course, it is relatively new ~ 5 years and is still growing into itself.  However, it was fun and I played much better.  I did purchase a new driver while down there.  I got a Ping 425LST 9* with the Rouge White Shaft.  I had done some driver testing a while back and really loved this one.  I put it in play and hit really well.  Only lost one out to the right, which is a marked improvement! 

I still am fighting a push/push-slice with my longer irons, but I think things are coming around for the golf season. 

How's your game from 125 yards in been? 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 3/29/2022 at 8:19 AM, MNUte said:

How's your game from 125 yards in been? 

Honestly, it's a bit rough.  I tend to lose a lot of shots on dumb chipping/pitching errors.  TBF, I've been working on full swings this winter so that isn't too surprising.  Now that the days are longer, it's time to hit the short stuff again.

3 hours ago, Jonny_Crash said:

Honestly, it's a bit rough.  I tend to lose a lot of shots on dumb chipping/pitching errors.  TBF, I've been working on full swings this winter so that isn't too surprising.  Now that the days are longer, it's time to hit the short stuff again.

Trust the short game! 5-10 minutes of targeted putting practice 4-5 times a day does wonders. And chipping and pitching practice has helped me a lot with my contact and striking on full swings. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Agree, short game, short game! It Will improve your scores, when you get confidence around the greens, getting green misses up and down for pars, it takes pressure off your approach shots. Approach shots over 150 are my weakness but I am pretty consistent getting chips or pitches up and down for par so I don’t stress over missing greens, on the flip side, get me under 150 and I’m deadly. I practice short game shots at least twice a week on my club’s practice area and once a week I’ll find an open area on the course and hit a ball to the green from 150, 125, 100, 75, 50, 25. It has really helped me the last two years.

• :callaway-small:Paradym AI Smoke Max Ventus TR Blue Velocore 5S
  • :callaway-small: Callaway 4 Wood Stiff
  • :Sub70: 7W 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 921 JPX Tour 4-GW Stiff Nippon 120
  • :taylormade-small: MG4 Raw Grind 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser 2 putter 
  • :titleist-small: Pro V1
  • EZ Go 4 seater
  • image.gif.1ef282d0e92fa71eedc2dd14b1005808.gif

On 9/21/2021 at 3:00 PM, Jonny_Crash said:

I picked up golf in earnest last summer during the covid lockdown.  It seemed like good way to get outside and still keep some social distance.  I'd played off and on for years, but never more than a round or two a summer.  I decided to hit the range a bunch and start playing weekly.  It's been a great outlet, but I just cannot get a decent score on the card.  So I figured I'd make a journal of the process here. 

About me.  I'm 42 grew up skiing and playing soccer in Utah.  I've always been very athletic, most sports come relatively easy for me (except hitting a f@#*!&g baseball).  So, I'm approaching this from a decent athletic base, but not a great technical base.  I was playing with some old Taylormade RAC OS2 clubs from '05.  They were fine, but I wanted to get something new to juice the system. I bought the Sub70 699 Pros around Christmas 2020 and just love them.  They are plenty far and give me enough workability/control for my level. 

I did the typical youtube, internet hunting for a while to figure out my swing last year (found this forum though, so that was nice).  I thought it was going pretty well, but really fought a slice all of last summer and couldn't get a driver in play to save my life.  As a result I was losing shots off the tee left and right.  Scores were all over the place and generally not low.

My mom got me a swing analysis at Golftec for Christmas in 2020. I had the analysis in late Feb.  This really helped to get me on a better swing path and I worked into a baby draw.  Here are my swing at the swing eval: 

Before swing: https://gt.golf/LVTMle

After Swing:  https://gt.golf/Vwlu9A (not sure what is up with that follow through) 

I was able to groove a draw in the ensuing months. I shot my best ever round in Early April (a 42 (+6).  However, I ended up with a torn Achilles in April  at a soccer game.... which stalled out this summer's golf.  I've been back at it since July and have quite a few rounds in and lots of range hours.  

My current yardages are as follows (carry) (obviously mostly good shots):

• DR: 275
  • 3W: 240
  • 3U: 230
  • 5I: 204
  • 6I: 193
  • 7I: 180
  •  8I: 168
  • 9I: 156
  • PW: 147
  • GW: 125
  • SW: 115
  • LW: 105

My biggest problem right now is the complete and utter inconsistency with my club face/path.  After my lesson I was working a slight draw, which felt good. However, I think my swing has gotten to steep in the interim and I now fight a push to push/slice. I have a hard time releasing the club to the right through the ball.  I don't trust it and end up yanking the club head inside causing the club-face to open and slice.  I'll try to get a better /more current video this evening. 

It's obviously time for a lesson again. So I'll be setting that up and will update accordingly.  Thanks for following along.  Golf sure is a fun (frustrating) puzzle.  

unnamed.jpg.6737f08a86342d3d3811299901643704.jpg

keep up the good work but do not forget to enjoy the game.......I've been playing for over 50 years and was very competitive.........have since moved up a few tee's but still get great joy from hitting the perfect shot, at least once a round

I recently bought a new Ping G425LST driver.  With that purchase I was able to get some free Arccos sensors and a free 45 day trial.  Those should arrive next week.  Looking forward to seeing how that works. 

The G425 LST has been great purchase.  Provided I don't overswing (still my problem) or stop my rotation I hit a nice strait fairway finder.  It's been super forgiving and a lot of shots that I would have lost far right/left are in the first cut.  It isn't the longest or hottest face, but it goes plenty far for me.  

I did some back to back "testing" with a friend who has a TSI2 with HZDRS Black RDX shaft.  The Titleist was consistently longer for both of us, but I had a lot bigger dispersion for both of us.  The Ping settled in at 280-290, which is more than fine for my purposes.  Keeping it in play off the tee is one of my number one goals this year (I'm so tired of OB reloads on the tee box). 

I've turned the 9* head to 10* for now.  The key benefit is slightly closing the face.  It does tend to spin up on me a little bit, but that might an acceptable tradeoff if I keep the ball in play.  We shall see as the season progresses.  

All in all, very happy with the purchase.  It sure is loud, but I can overlook that if it works.  

• 3 weeks later...

I got my Arccos sensors the other day and have played two rounds since syncing them up.  The first round was perhaps the worst I have swung in years.  I was sliding and not releasing the club... which resulted in a ton of short tops.  I putted pretty well and the short game wasn't too bad.  As a result my distances were hilarious (all over the place).  

My second round was a bit more realistic.  I shot a somewhat liberally scored +8 (44).   It's interesting to see how the strokes gained is working and what my actual yardages turn out to be.  Right now I'm targeting a 10 handicap as a goal for this summer.  It may be a bit unrealistic, but that's what goals are for 🙂  As I get some more rounds in I'll start playing with (sharing) the data. 

For now I'm giving up 7.0 strokes to a 10 handicap:

• +2.3 driving
  • -1.2 Approach
  • -0.4 Short game
  • -7.5 putting 

Obviously need some putting practice... 

17 hours ago, Jonny_Crash said:

I got my Arccos sensors the other day and have played two rounds since syncing them up.  The first round was perhaps the worst I have swung in years.  I was sliding and not releasing the club... which resulted in a ton of short tops.  I putted pretty well and the short game wasn't too bad.  As a result my distances were hilarious (all over the place).  

My second round was a bit more realistic.  I shot a somewhat liberally scored +8 (44).   It's interesting to see how the strokes gained is working and what my actual yardages turn out to be.  Right now I'm targeting a 10 handicap as a goal for this summer.  It may be a bit unrealistic, but that's what goals are for 🙂  As I get some more rounds in I'll start playing with (sharing) the data. 

For now I'm giving up 7.0 strokes to a 10 handicap:

• +2.3 driving
  • -1.2 Approach
  • -0.4 Short game
  • -7.5 putting 

I'm going to be Debbie Downer here, but only in hopes of expediting your improvement. 
- score properly so you can monitor real improvement and it will motivate you further, otherwise your handicap and scores are meaningless. Did you go from 3 to 1 mulligans per round but scores stayed flat? Or did "actual" scoring improve?

I used to do the same thing, some days it was 1 mulligan per round others it was 1 per 9 holes. If I played well it was no mulligans. Really helps keep your scoring in a tight band 🙂

- you didn't putt very well. -7.5 SG putting relative to a 10 means you putted somewhere to the level of a 50 handicap because a 25 HCP loses 2.5 strokes putting compared to a 10 hcp according to Shot Scope. 
- if you are taking gimme's outside of 2' your SG is even worse because you would miss a decent amount of 3-4 footers at that level of putting. 
- try to take a putting lesson so the instructor can verify if there are any mechanical issues and if they think your putter is a good match for your stroke. They should be able to identify some drills to help your weaknesses. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

17 hours ago, Jonny_Crash said:

Just noticed the clubs in your signature... Your putter is the only club in your bag that isn't new and you don't even know what model it is. Might be time for a fitting or at least trial some different types. Seems like an area that is being overlooked. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

2 hours ago, BMart519 said:

I'm going to be Debbie Downer here, but only in hopes of expediting your improvement. 
- score properly so you can monitor real improvement and it will motivate you further, otherwise your handicap and scores are meaningless. Did you go from 3 to 1 mulligans per round but scores stayed flat? Or did "actual" scoring improve?

I used to do the same thing, some days it was 1 mulligan per round others it was 1 per 9 holes. If I played well it was no mulligans. Really helps keep your scoring in a tight band 🙂

- you didn't putt very well. -7.5 SG putting relative to a 10 means you putted somewhere to the level of a 50 handicap because a 25 HCP loses 2.5 strokes putting compared to a 10 hcp according to Shot Scope. 
- if you are taking gimme's outside of 2' your SG is even worse because you would miss a decent amount of 3-4 footers at that level of putting. 
- try to take a putting lesson so the instructor can verify if there are any mechanical issues and if they think your putter is a good match for your stroke. They should be able to identify some drills to help your weaknesses. 

You are totally right regarding the  scoring and score keeping.  I usually only take one mulligan and keep it at that.  Yesterday, I ignored one hosel rocket and a mulligan on one drive that ended up on the other side of a lake.  The point is well taken!  

I putted everything out yesterday, so no gimmies.    Over the last 30 rounds I've averaged 2.2 putts/hole, so it'll be interesting to see how that changes as I get more rounds with arccos.    I have definitely been neglecting my short game over the past 9 months, so it is an obvious place to improve.  

29 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

You are totally right regarding the  scoring and score keeping.  I usually only take one mulligan and keep it at that.  Yesterday, I ignored one hosel rocket and a mulligan on one drive that ended up on the other side of a lake.  The point is well taken!  

I putted everything out yesterday, so no gimmies.    Over the last 30 rounds I've averaged 2.2 putts/hole, so it'll be interesting to see how that changes as I get more rounds with arccos.    I have definitely been neglecting my short game over the past 9 months, so it is an obvious place to improve.  

Putts per round are only part of the story. If you hit 18 greens and had 36 putts you had a pretty good day on the score card. Look at proximity to hole, greens in regulation, how many shots you take under whatever yardage (100,125,150) 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Putts per round are only part of the story. If you hit 18 greens and had 36 putts you had a pretty good day on the score card. Look at proximity to hole, greens in regulation, how many shots you take under whatever yardage (100,125,150) 

100% agree with this.  My approach (-1.2) and short game (-0.4) were decent by strokes gained measures vs a 10, but the putting was BAD (-7.5).  So that is obviously the big issue right now. 

EDIT: this info is all off of two rounds, one where I could barley hit the ball and one that was good for me. I expect it to change wildly early this year before levelling out towards the end of the summer.  Playing again tonight, I'll let you all know how it goes. 

Edited by Jonny_Crash

46 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

100% agree with this.  My approach (-1.2) and short game (-0.4) were decent by strokes gained measures vs a 10, but the putting was BAD (-7.5).  So that is obviously the big issue right now. 

EDIT: this info is all off of two rounds, one where I could barley hit the ball and one that was good for me. I expect it to change wildly early this year before levelling out towards the end of the summer.  Playing again tonight, I'll let you all know how it goes. 

Benefit of strokes gained is that it will separate the bad ball striking out as well as GIR as it relates to short game and putting. Some people have physical constraints on how far they can hit the ball which will limit their ceiling off the tee and slightly on approach. The only limitations to short game and putting is technique, practice, and a lesser extent - equipment. 

If you want to go old school stat collection, use the tiger 5 from Decade:

Count # 3 putts, # 2 chips, penalty shots, bogey or worse on par 5. These are the main errors to minimize. 

And modifying the last one for skill level: # of times it takes more than 3 shots to get down from inside 90 yards. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

20 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Benefit of strokes gained is that it will separate the bad ball striking out as well as GIR as it relates to short game and putting. Some people have physical constraints on how far they can hit the ball which will limit their ceiling off the tee and slightly on approach. The only limitations to short game and putting is technique, practice, and a lesser extent - equipment. 

If you want to go old school stat collection, use the tiger 5 from Decade:

Count # 3 putts, # 2 chips, penalty shots, bogey or worse on par 5. These are the main errors to minimize. 

And modifying the last one for skill level: # of times it takes more than 3 shots to get down from inside 90 yards. 

I spent the bulk of the winter working on the full swing (I was losing shots OB left and right last summer).  I also really needed to eliminate the tops and chunks.  I think I've worked most of those out of the system... 

Now the plan is to shift to short game.  I played again last night and again putted terribly.  It is definitely time to hit the short game.

I played last night in the wind.  We played the back 9 at old mill.  I shot a +13.  I lost a couple of drives right and OB, which hurts the score.  I also putted terrible on some very slow greens (21 Putts).  Lag putting was the thing that killed me.  I wasn't  getting close with my first putt on most holes.    I did miss a couple 4' putts as well.  All in all, bad putting day. 

I topped/chunked some approach shots that hurt the score, but I chipped/pitched pretty well.  However, coupled with the bad putting... I didn't score very well at all.  As bad as the approach shots were, I'm only giving up -1.4 shots to a 10 HCP on approach shots.  Not great, but not my worst.  

Shot of the day was a 200 yd 5i to about 45'  (I three putted down the hill).  

Putting is the key factor right now.  I'm -7.7 SG compared to a 10 HCP.  The focus this upcoming week is definitely going to be putting and short game.  I need to leave myself more manageable first putts (when I miss the green) and then capitalize on those putts. 

Interesting to see how this data evolves...  

• 2 weeks later...

Played a solid round this morning and finished with a round of 44.  That's my second best round ever and felt pretty good!  

According to Arccros I lost 3.1 strokes gained compared to my target of a 10 HC this morning.  This breaks out as follows: 

image.png.43bc3f132627efad3929901bea235fdc.png

I drove the ball really well and got up and down on 3/6 holes.  I hit 3 GIR, but took 20 putts.  Putting clearly continues to be the big weakness.  I had 5 three putts this morning and missed a handful of putts shorter than 5'.  I'm grazing the hole on most of them, but that doesn't do much good as a miss is a miss.  

In the grand scheme of things I'm losing 12 strokes gained compared to a 10 HC (over the past 5 rounds).  This breaks out as follows:

image.png.796b16972aace95577f56ca29a540d73.png
Keeping the ball in play off the tee and working on my putting should help me keep improving.   Long ways to go yet, but it was at least an encouraging morning.  I have noticed that I play a lot better when I swing easy.  I have a tendency to really go after the ball, which really messes up my timing.  When I can slow down and make a smooth swing I hit the ball cleaner and generally much better (further and higher).  So, my key swing thought right now is to swing easy.  

Edited by Jonny_Crash

9 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

Played a solid round this morning and finished with a round of 44.  That's my second best round ever and felt pretty good!  

According to Arccros I lost 3.1 strokes gained compared to my target of a 10 HC this morning.  This breaks out as follows: 

I drove the ball really well and got up and down on 3/6 holes.  I hit 3 GIR, but took 20 putts.  Putting clearly continues to be the big weakness.  I had 5 three putts this morning and missed a handful of putts shorter than 5'.  I'm grazing the hole on most of them, but that doesn't do much good as a miss is a miss.  

In the grand scheme of things I'm losing 12 strokes gained compared to a 10 HC (over the past 5 rounds).  This breaks out as follows:

Keeping the ball in play off the tee and working on my putting should help me keep improving.   Long ways to go yet, but it was at least an encouraging morning.  I have noticed that I play a lot better when I swing easy.  I have a tendency to really go after the ball, which really messes up my timing.  When I can slow down and make a smooth swing I hit the ball cleaner and generally much better (further and higher).  So, my key swing thought right now is to swing easy.  

Based on those charts I would say putting should be your focus area.  For putts inside of 5’ I’d do some gate drills.  For overall putting, work on distance control 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

48 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Based on those charts I would say putting should be your focus area.  For putts inside of 5’ I’d do some gate drills.  For overall putting, work on distance control 

Yeah, it's clearly costing me a lot of strokes.  The strange thing is I always thought I was pretty good at putting, guess I was lying to myself.  

2 hours ago, Jonny_Crash said:

I used Arccos last year and it really helped me go from a 15 to an 8. The numbers don’t lie. Even if you think your are good at something it will show you were you need to put the work in at. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

3 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

I used Arccos last year and it really helped me go from a 15 to an 8. The numbers don’t lie. Even if you think your are good at something it will show you were you need to put the work in at. 

Isn't that the truth!  

On 5/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, Jonny_Crash said:

Yeah, it's clearly costing me a lot of strokes.  The strange thing is I always thought I was pretty good at putting, guess I was lying to myself.  

I had a bad start to the season for putting. If you are struggling 5' and in, I recommend doing the clock drill setting up balls at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o clock around the hole at 3 feet. Once you make all of them, reset them at 5 or 6' from the hole. This will get you practice making breaking putts each direction. As you get better, change the clock positions as you change distances to get different putts. For example, on the 3 footers putt from 12, 3, 6, 9 o clock. On 6 footers putt from 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30. 

This is my warm up before every round to learn the greens and build some confidence making putts. These come up a lot on course after lag putts and chips from greenside. Then I finish by hitting 20-60' putts for speed or using 1 ball to putt out to a variety of holes on the practice green. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

You have 40 or 50 answers by now.

Slow down and create control is my simple advice. Prior scratch level experiences.

You don't have to bomb it to score well. The ball flight needs to be predictable. Go look up via Google  Ben Hogan distance by club as evidence reference.

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

Similar spot! It's cool to see how many of us that took it up in earnest in early covid are sticking with it and have developed some pretty strong games. I'm similarly in the 90s most of the time and my goal is to break 90 at three different courses this year, which is starting to feel overly ambitious.

I play with my uncle sometimes who's consistently an 80s shooter and the thing that always strikes me is just how boring his game is. There's no spectacular shots, he doesn't have really great distance or a very nice swing, but he also just doesn't get into trouble.

My swing has improved tremendously in the off-season with lessons and tons of simulator time. Driver and fairway distances are way up, irons are a little longer but have much better trajectories... but my scores are about the same. It really seems like minimizing damage is the key to breaking 90.

Anyway, good luck to ya! Excited to see someone else chasing the same goal!

Driver:   :cobra-small: RadSpeed 9°
Fairway: :ping-small: G410 14.5°
Irons:     :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged
Wedges: :vokey-small: SM7 50°/54°/58°
Putter:    :ping-small: Redwood Anser

Played 18 yesterday for the first time this season.  I played a fun track that has water on pretty much every hole Stonebridge (played creekside/sagebrush).  There are some wide landing areas, but misses are pretty penal.  I ended up with a 98 (46-52) which was pretty solid all things considered.  

I putted and chipped really well for me.  31 putts total with 6 one-putts (one chip in Bird) and only 3 three-putts.  I got up and down 6 times.  I had a couple blow up holes where I dunked multiple tee shots, which really hurt the score.  

Overall it was a good time.  If I cut down the water balls, I'd have been just about to my target score.  So there is some hope there! The holes I kept the driver smooth went great, when I "tried" to hit it I pushed to the water (and usually much shorter).  It's a pretty easy pattern to see, but a bit harder to fix.  It's coming along though.  

Hole of the day was the par 5 eighth.  Driver up the left side 273, 5 Iron 206 (over water) to 30' and a 2 putt bird.  That 5i felt so good and smooth.

Favorite shot was a roped 6i 189 to an elevated green.  I ended up with a tricky downhill putt (for a 3-putt bogey).  It was great to see a climbing 6 stop on the green.

I had some mid-game struggles and chunked/topped a couple of approach shots.  Coupled with the driver penalties that really hurt the score as shown (compared to a 10 HC): 

image.png.4891ef78714e44a198f16cd47569b520.png

Fun day! 

Play 9 at Rose Park this morning.  It's a relatively easy track (rating 69/ slope 116), no real hazards and no forced carries (on the front 9).  So  I was able to get away with a couple of errant shots and some thinned approaches.  However, I shot my best score ever at +4.  It was four bogeys and the rest pars, but had a couple good looks at birds.  

Stats wise I averaged 245 off the tee, hit 3 fairways and had 5 GIR.  I got up and down once and ended with 18 putts.  I was +1.9 in SG compared to my target of a 10 HC.  This was broken out as follows:

image.png.7c489aeddf474faa2ff79a494c8c844f.png

Not much to complain about at all.  I feel like the game is coming around and the early season putting woes are getting corrected (still my weak spot).  Playing an easy course certainly helps, but I'll take it.  

32 minutes ago, Jonny_Crash said:

Playing an easy course certainly helps, but I'll take it.  

Easy or not, you still have to execute and score.   nice round   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Easy or not, you still have to execute and score.   nice round   

Thanks, it felt good! 

I occasionally get to play some of the fancier courses here in Utah through my job.  Next week I get to play the Painted Valley course at Promontory (link).  I'm pretty excited.  It's at a pretty high elevation (~ 7,000') so the ball should carry a ways... but it's over 8,000 yards from the tips (haha).  I obviously won't be playing from there, but it's apparently quite the challenge.  

Tony Finau holds the course record of 67.  Should be fun! 

2016_02_23-promontory_14_jml.jpg