TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ryder Cup venue

Beakbryce

I'm just going to say this without further comment.

Why the hell are we playing the Ryder Cup on a "links" style course?

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 9/22/2021 at 12:35 PM, Beakbryce said:

I'm just going to say this without further comment.

Why the hell are we playing the Ryder Cup on a "links" style course?

Because Whistling Straits is absolutely GORGEOUS and because Wisconsin deserves love too. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I’m not sure what the issue is here, Whistling Straits is awesome.

Europe has hosted the Ryder Cup at more parkland style (typical US course styles that you’re eluding to) than links courses.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

16 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I’m not sure what the issue is here, Whistling Straits is awesome.

Europe has hosted the Ryder Cup at more parkland style (typical US course styles that you’re eluding to) than links courses.

The golf course is phenomenal. No issue there, whatsoever. I think the issue, albeit very muted and minor, is atmosphere. It's not as fan friendly as many other options and doesn't provide the same type of home course advantage as somewhere like Medinah. The layout doesn't allow fans to frame the hole, which can be a huge advantage for the host squad. Limited vantage points for fans to gather in mass. As No Laying Up has reported from on-site, several broken bones among the spectators already this week. Also, you can't put fans in Lake Michigan.

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The golf course is phenomenal. No issue there, whatsoever. I think the issue, albeit very muted and minor, is atmosphere. It's not as fan friendly as many other options and doesn't provide the same type of home course advantage as somewhere like Medinah. The layout doesn't allow fans to frame the hole, which can be a huge advantage for the host squad. Limited vantage points for fans to gather in mass. As No Laying Up has reported from on-site, several broken bones among the spectators already this week. Also, you can't put fans in Lake Michigan.

You’re exactly right.  Not many of us (me included) even thought about that aspect. 

I think we’d agree there are SOME fans we’d like to toss in Lake Michigan… 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

34 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Apparently, Spieth almost did on the first hole this morning. Some American fan went way over the top on some comments to Rahm and Garcia. Spieth stopped, turned and chewed his ass out. Featured Groups on Peacock are pretty great.

32 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Apparently, Spieth almost did on the first hole this morning. Some American fan went way over the top on some comments to Rahm and Garcia. Spieth stopped, turned and chewed his ass out. Featured Groups on Peacock are pretty great.

Spieth just being the good dude we all know he is…and rightfully so…

Plenty of drunk nitwits who think they’re tough.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

You’re exactly right.  Not many of us (me included) even thought about that aspect. 

I bet they were prepared for the broken ankles. There were several during the previous two PGA's there as well.  

An interesting side note here. I have played the course many times.  Every time but one was as a regular tee time and we teed off from 1 and followed the normal routing.   The one exception was during the Team Titleist event two years ago we had a shotgun start.  We started on hole 14, so they had staff drive us out in carts to the starting hole.   I can tell you there are a bunch of side and service roads that run very paralel to each hole that you'll never see on TV and certainly never see when you are playing the course.  But it I also come in handy for all the infrastructure they need to set u and get in and out to the course for this weekend, without really disrupting the layout.

Granted I wouldn't want to be tracking up and down all that terrain, but they do have plenty of fans framing the holes from what I've seen.  Crowds have been electric and then of course the few yahoos that should be dealt with.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I bet they were prepared for the broken ankles. There were several during the previous two PGA's there as well.  

An interesting side note here. I have played the course many times.  Every time but one was as a regular tee time and we teed off from 1 and followed the normal routing.   The one exception was during the Team Titleist event two years ago we had a shotgun start.  We started on hole 14, so they had staff drive us out in carts to the starting hole.   I can tell you there are a bunch of side and service roads that run very paralel to each hole that you'll never see on TV and certainly never see when you are playing the course.  But it I also come in handy for all the infrastructure they need to set u and get in and out to the course for this weekend, without really disrupting the layout.

Granted I wouldn't want to be tracking up and down all that terrain, but they do have plenty of fans framing the holes from what I've seen.  Crowds have been electric and then of course the few yahoos that should be dealt with.

This paints a better picture...Tirico is saying it as I type, about putting in some paces to follow matches.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Lowery slipped on a hill, looks to be fine. that is a big dude to be sliding down a hill.  

I can see how one would think the view isn't optimal if your there. You don't get that up close 15' from the green on the majority of the holes.  But that's why they sell Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Style & Old Milwaukie in wis, Your voice will need to carry.   

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter