Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Switching to more forgiving clubs (MP20 HMB)

Hey guys, this post may be a product of my frustration over my game lately. Early this spring I got fitted for mp20 MMCs. Absolutely love them, but been working on swing stuff with my coach and that obviously took a toll on my on course results…(it’ll get worse before it gets better they say) 

I’m toying with the idea of picking up Mp20 HMBs with similar specs to help with my thin/toe side strikes, maybe gain a little more height. Am I being ridiculous? I feel I should power through and work on ball striking, and chalk up this years goals into the loss column.  

have people noticed much difference between the two in terms of forgiveness?

10 minutes ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

I’m toying with the idea of picking up Mp20 HMBs with similar specs to help with my thin/toe side strikes, maybe gain a little more height.

My opinion is that thin and toe shots are mostly a swing issue not club issue.  It could be a club issue if they are badly misfit so getting same specs probably wouldn’t fix the issue you want to fix.  Since you were fit for those clubs, I doubt it is the badly fit thought.    as for forgiveness,  the irons you are considering are categorized as players distance irons so you probably won’t see much more forgiveness over the MMCs.  IMO the answer is to work on your swing and not get new clubs.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

My opinion is that thin and toe shots are mostly a swing issue not club issue.  It could be a club issue if they are badly misfit so getting same specs probably wouldn’t fix the issue you want to fix.  Since you were fit for those clubs, I doubt it is the badly fit thought.    as for forgiveness,  the irons you are considering are categorized as players distance irons so you probably won’t see much more forgiveness over the MMCs.  IMO the answer is to work on your swing and not get new clubs.  

Yea I know it’s the swing, just needed someone to tell me. Split second I thought about picking up some SGI irons for a second to get my confidence back haha

I had a set of the HMB’s and didn’t find them to be that forgiving. The hollow construction and larger size made me think they would be more forgiving, but that wasn’t the case. Of course, that was for me and my swing. Your results may be different. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

2 hours ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

Hey guys, this post may be a product of my frustration over my game lately. Early this spring I got fitted for mp20 MMCs. Absolutely love them, but been working on swing stuff with my coach and that obviously took a toll on my on course results…(it’ll get worse before it gets better they say) 

I’m toying with the idea of picking up Mp20 HMBs with similar specs to help with my thin/toe side strikes, maybe gain a little more height. Am I being ridiculous? I feel I should power through and work on ball striking, and chalk up this years goals into the loss column.  

I am in the same boat as you right now. I am working on swing changes, and my handicap has gone up almost 4 from where I started. I did end up switching to the Ping g410 plus, and it helped me keep it in play and I am hitting more fairways, and it has helped my scores no longer go up. I have seen a distance drop though. I have thought of changing irons, but I do not want a bandaid I want real changes. One thing that is helping me stay on the path of improvement is from Butch when he was working with Tiger, and said it took him a year for what they were working on to set in, and we all saw what he did in 2000 and after. Although our yearly goals may be out of the picture, but maybe not. I am tweaking mine for the rest of the year to see if I can hit a small goal. Stick with it

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed: