TESTERS WANTED! ×

Practice strokes as part of pre putt routine Yaa or Nay?

On 9/27/2021 at 9:16 AM, russtopherb said:

I always take 1-2 practice strokes next to the ball while looking at the hole. I try and think about how much motion I would need if I was gently tossing the ball to the hole with my right hand, and then replicate it with my putting stroke. 

Yes ^this^ !!! 👍

..only thing I'd change there is "toss the ball underhand with my throwing hand" .. just to be fair to all those lefties out there.. 😉

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2021 at 3:56 PM, Shapotomous said:

Mentioning those mini strokes reminded me of one of the best putters I ever saw or played with.  He was a great pool player too and just like a pool cue he would do a mini stroke with the putter right behind the ball a couple times before starting his stroke.  He was a smaller guy, about 5'8" and 150, didn't hit the ball far but could hit his 5 w like  a laser and could makes putts all day long.  Had some terrific pool circuit stories too!  

Good analogy

I guilty of those mini swings , some days I feel like I need to do it and some days not.

The pool cue analogy is what some players to feel the elbow as the sole hinge point

I think why I do that is so  to locate my pendulum point which is usually at the my shoulder blade so I can make 'rocking motion"  from there as  my "hinge point"

So its not really a practice stroke . its just to loose my upper shoulder and corordinate the stroke  so I dont really look at anything when I do these " odd practice stroke"

Edited by Haro